Insurance company wants to total out my Trailblazer

snoozer

Original poster
May 15, 2017
Home
I was in an accident yesterday, not my fault, but the guy who caused the accident had expired drivers license & cancelled insurance.
Insurance adjuster looked at Trailblazer & totaled it an offered me $4,000 they keep vehicle or $3400 & I keep vehicle.
Which would be great if my health allowed me to do the work like I used to, but I would have to pay to have it done. I haven't driven had a tow truck take it I was to shaken up to drive it home so I had it taken to a shop for now.
What I am wondering if any of you guys could give me your opinion by looking at a couple of the photos showing damage. My opinion I don't think it looks that bad. No damage on drivers fender & doors open fine.
I really like the vehicle, but if I kept it the only money I could spend is what the insurance company would give me.
Thanks in advance
MarkIMG_20180326_132824_1CS.jpgIMG_20180326_141628.jpgIMG_20180326_133441.jpgIMG_20180326_133506.jpgIMG_20180326_132824_1CS.jpgIMG_20180326_141628.jpgIMG_20180326_133441.jpgIMG_20180326_133506.jpgIMG_20180326_132824_1CS.jpgIMG_20180326_141628.jpgIMG_20180326_133441.jpgIMG_20180326_133506.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If the frame is not bent that's fixable. The only problem is the panels and such are starting to get expensive... at least in my parts. Doesn't look major.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Pop the hood open and look at the radiator support and all that. If it is straight you're golden. If it is bent, it will take more work, but still fixable if the frame is good. My guess, by looking at the hood, is the upper radiator support is bent. But it might not be much. Check things like radiator, AC condenser, etc.

Depending on the damage under the hood maybe just a header panel and new headlights, straighten the hood/latch enough to get it to securely close to get it driveable, then find a bumper, hood, fenders, etc that are the right color at your leisure. Seems that most of the damage is localized to the passenger side, correct?

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Where do you live? Most times when an insurance company totals and makes you an offer on the salvage, they void the title and registration/plates; which means you'll have to fix it so it will pass a state inspection to get another title and registration. You might check that out with the state/insurance company that you are dealing with. Now days, just the paint could cost you a lot.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I would take the $4k and look for another one, these 360s are getting pretty reasonable now. Even if you were able to do the work yourself I still think that you would be better off walking away from it.

Reactions: sunliner

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
how many miles? in good mechanical condition otherwise? how are consumables like tires brakes shocks etc? do you have any aftermarket upgrades like a nice stereo? all that's going to be the big deciding factor in terms of keep that one vs buy another... if it's in good condition otherwise, you like it, and you don't care how it looks i'd say buy it back, use junkyard parts to fix it, who cares if it's the wrong color, and enjoy an extra $3k in your pocket.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
They totaled it because if you actually fix all that it would be over 4000 if you have someone else do it , so what they are telling you the vehicle on the books is not worth more than 4000 which is probably true for any of these 360's at this point . They haven't made them in almost 10 years now .

smt 59

If she has low mileage and in good condition throughout then I would look into a new front clip and go for the repairs. Full frame trucks are easy to fix, the rad cradle can be pulled and straightened if required. Does the insurance appraiser know it’s full frame?

Reactions: snoozer

sunliner

Mar 25, 2012
if it runs ok, frame is good and you really love it, I'd keep and fix. If that was my rig in the same condition, I'd take the $4k and run like hell...

Reactions: northcreek

mntegra01

Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
to be honest with everyone, my base base base model, not even a spot of tint on the windows, was valued at $2600 when I registered mine I bought for $200, put $1400 into the transmission (2WD), and another $800 in repair parts, Im at about $3400 in parts, not including labor since I did it myself. Motor mounts, water pump, spark plugs, fuel filter, diff drain/fill, air filter, rear shocks, front shocks, upper arms, lower bracket supports, sway bar links, other odds and ends, remote start, floor mats, fixed center console lid, airbag coil, radio and HVAC lights, rebuilt the cluster stepper motors...

It really just depends on what YOU value it at, and if there is anything needing fixing besides the front end.... Mine has broken bumper corner and smushed fender on pass side, but I dont see it so who cares. I have been driving a 2 door honda for almost 15 years, and wife always gets the new car, so I found a trailblazer me and been loving it ever since.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I can't speak to what it's like in the US, but here there is a degree of recourse with the insurance companies to argue over the value of the vehicle. When my wife was hit by an old woman turning left, the ins co valued our sentra at $3500. The closest local one for sale, same year/model, was $6995 and had double the mileage. I used that ad and several others to prove their market value assessment was wrong and in the end I got it fixed instead of a write-off. Minor damage write-offs give higher salvage value so there is less money out of pocket for the ins co to write it off sometimes.
Good luck.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Drec nailed it last night, mentioning that the insurance co. would rip the registration & plates, and you'd have to rebuild it to get a salvage title & plates again. You probably won't be able to get collision on it again b/c of that (but liability coverage should be obtainable - you may have to submit the truck for an inspection first)

The 'good' news - based on the pics you posted, it looks to me like that truck can be fixed w/o too much trouble. (body) parts shouldn't be a problem, as repros are available, if you can't find them in the junkyard.

TBH, I've seen worse examples driving down Chicago streets. As someone else posted - that's the beauty of BOF. A unibody would probably be beyond hope.

If you have a body shop that gives free estimates, have them quote you, so that you can get a list of all the different parts you'll need. They'll also figure out what will need to be done to the internal structure (like the radiator supports, etc. As long as they don't say the front frame is bent, you should be OK.

PS: Don't tell the shop you plan on fixing it yourself; if you do, they may refuse to quote. Also, let them know you are paying, not the insurance co. And do *not* tell them the insurance co is writing off as a total loss.

Good luck, and keep us posted - this would be a great rebuild thread!

Last edited:

snoozer

Original poster
May 15, 2017
Home
Most of damage is on right side. In the state of Nebraska if a vehicle is older than 7 years and valued at less then $11,500.00 nothing is done to the title, it stays the same & my insurance guy told me after I do the repairs they will reinstate full coverage insurance again, as of now until repairs are made I just have liability. I just put new brakes, tires, had all fluids changed to synthetic and a few other repairs done to it. I might be crazy, but we are going to keep it & fix it back up.
It has 126,000 miles on it I am the second owner. I have owned it for about a year, my last vehicle was an 89 Suburban which I owned for 20 years and it had over 400,000 miles on it when I retired it.
Wife & I can't afford another vehicle even if we wanted to get one.
I had a highly recommended small town body shop look at it & he has located some used parts & he is going to repair some of the stuff that needs it & we are looking at around $2000.00 which leaves me about $2000.00 left over. I told the insurance company I would not settle for less then $4000 plus I keep my vehicle. Figured it didn't hurt to try & they are sending me a check.
It is driving no different then it ever did other then today it would act like the engine would jump when shutting it off(it was doing this somewhat before accident) & at idle quite a bit of vibration does it in park or drive as soon as start moving it smooths out no more vibration.
Kind of acting like what I have read bad motor mounts act like on these vehicles.
Is it possible the accident just kind of finished off my motor mounts or could something else cause this? It's not a rough idle it is a vibration I can feel in steering wheel when sitting at a light in drive or neutral or park.
Thanks everyone for reading & replying to my post.
Mark

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Sounds to me like you're making the right decision to repair & keep, especially with such low mileage.
(I dunno if you'll get 400K out of it as you did with the Burb, but at least one member got to 500K on a GMT360 - so there's precedent!)

I was thinking 'motor mounts', as well. Maybe they'll be a little easier to replace with the body parts off? Fingers crossed.

Sneakycyber

Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
Never ever take the insurance companies first quote. I rolled my Chevrolet Blazer LT because someone went left of center and hit me. The insurance company adjuster generally only looks at Year, Make, Model, Trim, Mileage when searching for comparable vehicles and some don't even look they just take book value and deduct mileage. I researched for 2 weeks and took LOTS of pictures and had a list of 25 Blazers of the same year that were not even close to as nice as mine. I got all my medical bills covered and 6 grand for the Blazer (it was a 1999 and that was last November). Lastly remember the claim is not closed until you accept their offer. If they won't do the research pay a lawyer or do it your self.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.