Insulation rattling against exhaust

pL2005

Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
MI
I have a weird grind/rattle that has recently developed in my 05 Envoy XL 4.2L 4WD. I can only hear it inside the truck and it sounds like it's on the passenger side until today. My son drove it and from across the back yard, something sounded strange. I crawled around and discovered that what appears to be fiberglass mesh that is on the bottom of the truck, above the exhaust pipes between the motor and the muffler has come loose and is vibrating on the exhaust pipes. Any suggestions for how to best reattach it? Or should I replace it? Remove it? What's the best way forward here?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Is it the metal heat shield? I don't recall seeing a fiberglass one. If it's the metal one the metal probably fatigued or rotted off the mounting point. Could probably pull the nut off the stud and use a large washer to hold it back in place.

pL2005

Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
MI
Ok, so yesterday when I looked, it was dusk and it looked like that woven fiberglass stuff, but upon looking again in decent lighting, you are correct. It's rotted off at least 2 of the mounting points. One should be very easy just as you described. The other appears to be directly above the muffler so I'm not sure how I'll get to it. I'll mess with it some when I've got the truck on jackstands next time, which will probably be next week to replace the drivers side front axle (torn CV boot). Thanks!

Reactions: littleblazer

pL2005

Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
MI
This is what I did. One of the studs sheared off when I was taking the nut off, but I had it far enough off when it happened that there was still room to put the washer in and a nut back on. I did 3 in all, 2 above the muffler and one in front. Noise is gone now. Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online