NEED HELP Instrument panel going haywire

Sharon4422

Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Batavia
Started 2 days ago, my power windows on driver side didn't work. My nephew checked the fuse beneath the back seat and it was really hot. Took it out and swapped the fuse from the passenger side. That worked for a few min till I shut the truck off then I couldn't start it. It always starts. So took the fuse back out for the driver side and it started right up. Well I have no power windows for driver side. But gets better.. last night my instrument panel absolutely lost it. All of the gauges going off and on. It's beeping like I don't have my seat belt on and I do.. brake light, airbag, the one for the wheels. They all going nuts. The one that stays consistent is the antitheft. That comes on and stays. Even gets better, now the battery one will come on and the gas gauge will dip, then come back up. And the battery gauge dips. But returns. Each day , and it's only been 2 days. The problem seems to get bigger. I don't have alot of money at this point to take it to a garage. And I would like some help please before the problem gets bigger.. if it was something mechanical I have a few nephews to relay on to fix but electrical is a different story. Any advice would be appreciated. . Thankyou. .

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
It could be a number of things
1. ingntion switch. Cheap and easy to replace
2. You might of got water/salt mix in your driver door module like I did a few weeks ago that made my windows act all kinds of crazy.
3. There's a ground bolt on the passenger side near the left bottom of the glove box that may not be making good contact with the body/frame causing all this aswell.
I'd have your nephews look on this site and see if they can pin point your issue further.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Sharon4422

Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Batavia
It could be a number of things
1. ingntion switch. Cheap and easy to replace
2. You might of got water/salt mix in your driver door module like I did a few weeks ago that made my windows act all kinds of crazy.
3. There's a ground bolt on the passenger side near the left bottom of the glove box that may not be making good contact with the body/frame causing all this aswell.
I'd have your nephews look on this site and see if they can pin point your issue further.
Thank you, and I am assuming I did get the main switch on driver door wet. We had a very bad snow storm and I went out to warm my truck for work, I only have 1 ignition key so I always leave window down a bit for fear I will hit lock button when I step out. I found snow and ice in the door compartment . So I am assuming it could have been the start of all this.. I thankyou.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
How's the battery?

Sharon4422

Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Batavia
Battery is strong.. starts every time.. unless I put a fuse back in that one spot for the driver side windows.. then it's dead. Take out that fuse it starts up..

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Battery is strong.. starts every time.. unless I put a fuse back in that one spot for the driver side windows.. then it's dead. Take out that fuse it starts up..

I'd pry up that driver door module disconnect the connectors. Replace the fuse that was taken out and see what happens. Its pretty simple to do you just need something with a flat edge.20170210_072929.jpg
Like I said it happened to me a few weeks ago so I snapped a pic when it did and what I did to get my windows back up.

Reactions: Reprise and Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check to see if there is a recall as there was one for those door switch panels catching on fire.

According to this, it is covered so check with the dealer before shelling out your own cash.

Sharon4422

Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Batavia
I'd pry up that driver door module disconnect the connectors. Replace the fuse that was taken out and see what happens. Its pretty simple to do you just need something with a flat edge.View attachment 80375
Like I said it happened to me a few weeks ago so I snapped a pic when it did and what I did to get my windows back up.
At the moment my nephew is trying. He says he has unhooked the modular and it hasn't done any good.. it's driving him nuts as well..

Sharon4422

Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Batavia
Well not sure how, but my nephew fixed all the lights from going haywire. He's not even sure how he fixed the issue. He said he pulled the modular up and unplugged it as suggested but dash icons and 4 wd and radio all still going haywire. He said he gave up. But when he started the truck to bring it back to me all the dash icons were off and radio and everything was working again. He's confused what he did. All I know I am grateful. Grateful for all the suggestions I read them to him and it's ovious it word. The original problem is still there my driver side power windows don't work. Even placing a new fuse it won't work. But on a brighter side my nephew said any fuse he tried didn't get hot like the last time. If you put a fuse in for driver front and back window it got very hot. So neither fuse he tried heated up. So that's good. Will try to figure that out another time when I feel comfortable that my dash isn't going to go nuts again.. so thank you very grateful for your opinions..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If he left everything unplugged, quite possibly the the module at fault was screwing up the data bus and preventing other stuff from working. Seen that happen before.

Sharon4422

Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Batavia
If he left everything unplugged, quite possibly the the module at fault was screwing up the data bus and preventing other stuff from working. Seen that happen before.
No, he plugged everytime back in. The only thing left out is the fuse/relay for the driver side power windows. No fuse he puts in that slot will restore power to the windows. He said the fuse wasn't hot to touch if left in, but I prefer ed it be left empty for fear it will cause the dash to go bananas again. Just need to find out now how to fix that issue why I can't restore power to both windows on that side of the truck. It's a great running vehichle.. never any problems other than normal wear and tear. So this freaks me out a bit. I go through alot of drive thrus, lol which now requires me to open my door to pass through.. and more so I like problems faced and fixed the moment there is an issue. With this I have no clue what the issue is. It's ovious it's more than a blown fuse. Thank you for your replys. It has helped alot.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Really sounds like you need a new DDM.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Like I said, check with the dealer. Might get a new one on the recall.

mrwitty_1

Jan 28, 2014
Has anyone checked for enhanced trouble codes ? See if any modules are not communicating, such as the driver door module, instrument cluster etc

Sharon4422

Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Batavia
I will go to auto zone right after work today. The only light that doesn't come on is the check engine light. Each day the issue becomes more wide spread. This morning the dome light wouldn't go off. Radio goes on and off and that damn dinging like the door is open is driving me nuts. But I going tonight right after work.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Gonna agree with everyone else on this, the dome lights coming on, and door ajar alert is definitely due to your DDM acting up. That's probably sending garbage data through the bus and confusing other systems. :twocents:

Reactions: Tiggerr

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Drivers door module.:2thumbsup:
Basically the power window switch assembly in your drivers door.

I think the recall was for the redesigned ones in '06 or '07 and up.
They're a little different than the earlier ones.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you have a U-Pull It yard in your area, you can get a used one for much cheaper. Brand new ones require dealership programming ($$$) Used ones are plug and play. Just have to make sure it has the same buttons (for appearances) the plastic bezel from your truck can be transferred over.

Sharon4422

Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Batavia
Well unhooked the ddm and lights went off for about 20 min. The module is completley unhooked and all lights are in and it becomes a bigger issue. It was harder to start. I turned the key over 4/5 times nothing till it finally turned over. It has a strong motor. It's never been an issue.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I think at this point I might start looking for a shorted wire harness, perhaps at the drivers side door jamb or sill area under the carpet. With all the road salt that they use in our area I have had similar problems and they are not always easy to find...Mike.

Sharon4422

Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Batavia
I appreciate all the advice.. I will have them check that next. My poor nephews, I am driving them nuts. It's been such a good vehichle. And this is so hard to pinpoint. Thank you so much..

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Check all your grounds too... there's one on the passenger side of console under the dash..plus the one to the engine from frame on drivers side...

Sharon4422

Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Batavia
Well my nephew went to a junk yard pulled a ddm. With no luck. Not the problem. He even unhooked the harness from driver side door. That did nothing. Now it has stopped flashing. I basically have no gauges that work. I guess they got tired bouncing around.. I got tired watching them. My speedometer works fine. My rpm still no problem . Had a problem with all the lights except the check engine light. Now just battery, airbag and brake have been steadily on for the last 2 days. No beeping. . But my passenger side no longer has power to the windows and my radio hasn't come on in a day or so. . My friend checked all the grounds . Tomorrow my nephew going back to pull something i think called body modular.. I have no clue. I can't wait to put this issue behind me. It's been 1 week today. I've had enough of this.. I certainly hope my friend fins the issue I dropping the truck off to him sat.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online