Installing heated seat pads, best place to tap power?

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
This is a follow up to my thread on installing 'upgrades' to my truck. I am installing the dorman heated seat kit tomorrow. I was going to use one of my fuse taps on the rear fuse box. Is there a circuit in there that would be safe to use? I see the 20amp fuse for the sun roof, is that safe/ok to use?

Please advise, do not want to fry something

*Pic borrowed from the site from another member*

Attachments

• 20afuse.jpg
    20afuse.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 6

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd use a relay powered by a switched fuse. You'd want something that comes on with ignition. The TCCM would be a good one for that. You could use a separate fuse from the main feeder post to the relay.

Reactions: SpeedUp

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If you could, provide detailed pics, and details, its one of my upcoming projects for my GMT

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
I'd use a relay powered by a switched fuse. You'd want something that comes on with ignition. The TCCM would be a good one for that. You could use a separate fuse from the main feeder post to the relay.

I bought a relay to use. I tapped power directly at the battery. Is it OK to tape it at the mega fuse? Attached pic shows where I put it in yellow circle.

For leg 86 its ok to use tap any switched fuse with a fuse tap?

Sorry for all the questions, I really do not want to hurt anything lol.

Attachments

• megafuse.jpg
    megafuse.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 5

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I bought a relay to use. I tapped power directly at the battery. Is it OK to tape it at the mega fuse? Attached pic shows where I put it in yellow circle.

It should be fine but would be preferable on the post coming from the battery (can't remember which one that is)

For leg 86 its ok to use tap any switched fuse with a fuse tap?

Yes, but preferable switch with ignition, not aux.

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
If you could, provide detailed pics, and details, its one of my upcoming projects for my GMT

Sorry no pics, but will tell you what I did with detail :smile:

The hardest part of the whole install were dealing with the hog rings, and deciding where to tap power. The seat is a little heavy/awkward to remove.

Installing the heating pad:
To make the job easier on the bottom cushion I decided to lift the fabric up as much as possible. This required detaching the fabric from the cushion at 4 points. The points are held in place with hog rings. The hog ring pliers that come with the dorman kit are totally useless. I ended up bending the rings that were on there, then reusing them (with needle nose pliers) when putting the seat back together.

The seat back was much easier to work with. I was able to just slide the fabric up and insert the heating element.

For the wiring:
I purchased a dorman 4 post relay. *I tapped main power at the mega fuse, the only other place I could think of to get direct power would be right off the alternator.?. (if you have a better place to tap this power please let me know!)

On the relay (legs 85, 86, 87, 30), I connected:
Main power (with 10amp inline fuse) to leg 30
Grounded leg 85
Used a fuse tap on front fuse box IGN E fuse location on leg 86
The heater kit connected to leg 87

I installed the on/off button on the side of the seat. I drilled a hole in the plastic trim piece where the forward/back/lumbar buttons are. I put it in the top right corner area. There is a spot that will let it slide right in perfectly.

It is working good, and the seat warmers are really nice, and on high setting are very warm.

My concerns:
Where I tapped the main power, is there a better place?

The fuse tap, I know there is a certain way the fuse tap should be inserted so that power is on the correct leg. I have not put a volt meter on it to determine which leg that is. Right now I have the pigtail part of the tap going towards the driver side fender. Do you happen to know the correct leg?

If anyone sees a problem with this install, or has a better way, PLEASE let me know

Attachments

• megafuse.jpg
    megafuse.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1
  • tap_legs.jpg
    tap_legs.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably an easier place would have been the big lug/red wire at the rear under seat fuse box. That's what the mega fuse feeds. And that fuse tap is fine. That's what I used to turn my aux plug into a switched power. Where you tapped though, personally, I would have used something less vital, like the TCCM fuse in the under seat fuse box, in case it interferes with the ignition.

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
Probably an easier place would have been the big lug/red wire at the rear under seat fuse box. That's what the mega fuse feeds. And that fuse tap is fine. That's what I used to turn my aux plug into a switched power. Where you tapped though, personally, I would have used something less vital, like the TCCM fuse in the under seat fuse box, in case it interferes with the ignition.

I looked for TCCM fuse, is it labeled as something else? What fuse # is it ?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe transfer case or something to that effect in the fuse box under the rear seat.

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX

Took your advice and moved it from the front IGN fuse to a fuse that isn't used. My 2008 has a RAIN fuse in the rear fuse box. I think this was used for the rain sensing wipers that my truck doesnt even have.

If anyone is considering these warmers, go ahead and order them, they are awesome. I recently had to drive from Dallas to Birmingham and I had them on for 10 hours straight. Totally saved my lower back (hope that didnt hurt anything to leave them on so long) :smile:

If anyone has any questions on install please let me know, I will try to help if possible

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online