Installing air intake

CrawDaddy825

Original poster
Apr 8, 2018
Rochester NY
OK guys so I purchased this inexpensive intake off Ebay. I am trying to install it on my 05 LS. The confusing part to me is what do I do with the stock hose that connects to the bottom of the stock intake? It is a black rubber hose that has a plastic clip on the underside of the stock system. It runs back towards the firewall. Does anyone know what I mean?

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 9

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you mean the hose that comes from the valve cover, use the small filter right on the nipple from the valve cover. Is yours an EXT? Then that one has a vacuum line that goes to the front of the intake manifold. It doesn't change.

Only other hose I can think of is for the SAIS (Secondary Air Injection System). If you're retaining that system, you'll have to either add a filter to that hose or just leave it open but protected from water. That hose feeds air to the pump that feeds air into the exhaust during warmup. Since it's going into the exhaust, dust is not as much of a concern but may damage the pump or valve.

BTW, those cheap units are usually referred to as a HAI (Hot Air Intake). It will just suck hot underhood air and that metal tube will also get hot without insulation.

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The smaller one is probably for the fuel pressure regulator, which you don't have for 2005. The larger one might be for the PCV at the front of the valve cover, which doesn't make sense since they provide a small filter to put there instead. I'd use the filter to keep the the throttle body clean.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Reactions: Mooseman

I_Shoot_Back

Feb 18, 2018
Ponoka
To make it a bit more effective on the "cold air" intake,you should make a little divider where the filter sits.

https://goo.gl/images/sfrXg8 shows what I mean. It somewhat scoops the air that passes by the right headlight into the filter and keeps the hotter air in engine compartment away a bit. It's not perfect but better then having nothing. The k&n uses the stock bolt holes from the oem filter cover.
And yes,just plug those two holes.
Also,cut off your resonator. In combo with your cold air intake and deleted resonator you will love the sound :smile:

CrawDaddy825

Original poster
Apr 8, 2018
Rochester NY
I plugged the smaller hole and attached the hose on the other opening to where the PCV was. The sound is pretty cool, although I'll probably be getting on it more just to hear it 😂😂😂

Attachments

• 20180506_142833.jpg
    20180506_142833.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 23

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I plugged the smaller hole and attached the hose on the other opening to where the PCV was. The sound is pretty cool, although I'll probably be getting on it more just to hear it 😂😂😂
You should add a catch-can to prevent the blow-by coming from the crankcase back into the intake. It'll keep the throttle body cleaner for far longer.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86