Installing aftermarket radio what should I know?

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Installing aftermarket radio what should I know?

OEM unit is none functional.I see OEM units priced kindof high, Want an inexpensive head unit w/ NAV not a complete sys.

There are 4 terminals I think the big one is speaker wires, power, ground, the black is onstar, coax is FM antenna, small green must be a priority to GM GPS antenna appears to be optical.

Under the small rear jumpseat has a what appears to me as a NAV unit? If not what is it?

?1.what name brand audio components are orginal to 07 97x?

?2.doe’s the 97x have amplified speakers? If yes can the aftermarket radio reuse this amp.?

Would prefer to not glue a new GPS antenna to windshield.

?3.can the orginal GPS antenna be reused? Like maybe there’s a adapter for the OEM terminal?

Would like view of hitch and rear of vessel.

?4.multiple backup cameras?

?5.OEM brackets side mount and front trim is reused?

?6.interface plug from GM plug directly to radio?

I’m concidering this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H4S9J94/?tag=gmtnation-20

Thanks for advice

Attachments

• old radio.jpg
    old radio.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 7

BuffettTruck

May 2, 2018
Florida
If you already have the radio removed, you can use two short wires and a battery (9 volt preferably) to find out if you have an amp somewhere else. Touch the wires to two of the pins for the speaker wires and tap the battery terminals with the wire. If you hear a pop, you do not have an amp.

You might want to check on what kind of adapter you will need for installing an aftermarket radio, this could mitigate how much you want to spend. Go to pac-audio.com and put in your vehicle and it will give you a list of possible devices you will need depending on which system you started with and what features you want to retain.

Sometimes you can simply plug in the factory GPS antenna and sometimes you have to splice into the cable with a suitable plug. I have yet to look at my GPS antenna so I can't say for sure on that. It should be a two wire splice if you are comfortable with soldering.

If you get a new aftermarket deck, you should be able to reuse the factory trim and a mounting kit will just go behind it, again, pac-audio.com can tell you what you will need.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Another easy way to know is if you have tweeter in the dash, not just the space for them.

The harness for easy installation will run you between $90 and $110 depending on where you buy it. The mounting kit is about $10 or so on Amazon.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
1. GM. In the case of all 9-7x, it's a GM Bose.
2. Yes. No. Bose amp uses funky 2ohm component speakers.
3. Maybe but it would be all your own fabrication. You'd have to pull the wire from the OnStar from under rear seat to the front. Too much trouble. I just used the one that came with the HU and put it on the dash.
4. Maybe. I think Android HU are capable of this.
5. No. You will need a mount for a 2006-2009 Pontiac Montana SV6 or Chevy Uplander. Metra 95-3304. Use the current front trim panel with it.
6. As mentioned, you absolutely need an interface to get the HU to work with the Bose amp. There are no speaker wires from there. Just low power feed to the amp. You need a HU that has low power/pre-amp RCA outputs to work with the interface. That Boss one you linked seems to have them.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
1. GM. In the case of all 9-7x, it's a GM Bose.
2. Yes. No. Bose amp uses funky 2ohm component speakers.
3. Maybe but it would be all your own fabrication. You'd have to pull the wire from the OnStar from under rear seat to the front. Too much trouble. I just used the one that came with the HU and put it on the dash.
4. Maybe. I think Android HU are capable of this.
5. No. You will need a mount for a 2006-2009 Pontiac Montana SV6 or Chevy Uplander. Metra 95-3304. Use the current front trim panel with it.
6. As mentioned, you absolutely need an interface to get the HU to work with the Bose amp. There are no speaker wires from there. Just low power feed to the amp. You need a HU that has low power/pre-amp RCA outputs to work with the interface. That Boss one you linked seems to have them.
did the 07 saab08x come w/ Premium Y91 Bose systems

maybe this plug will work?https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CRUX-S...162540794042?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Like I said, they ALL have Bose. That adapter says it won't work with Bose. The better one is the PAC RP4-GM11. It's pricier because it works. Metra are junk. Scosche don't make one for Bose.

Reactions: xavierny25

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
actuelly the first adapter I link to said it works w/ Bose except The interface does not support the Y-91 digital Bose systems

maybe this https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-RP4-GM...l-Interface-/292392826690?hash=item4413f87742

what type of radio do you have?

I kindof want NAV for the lets try to find this place.

think I'll use my 10" tablet and onzooi angle3 speaker for portable tunes and NAV untill I have all the details figured out.

the tablet mite be a good idea to not even have a HU remember vehicle will be unattended for extra long cruising weekends.

off topic: are you 100% sure the rear seat isn't removable?
Thanks

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That adapter will work. That's what I have.

I have an Android HU. For the price compared to pricey brand names are worth it. Check on eBay or Aliexpress for the best deals. Don't try to find one that fits directly, probably doesn't exist. Get a universal one along with the adapter and Metra install kit. That's the combo I used and worked perfectly. If I could recommend one thing, get one with some buttons. The touch only screens are a PITA to use while moving. This one is like mine except newer:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-I...5335-4766-a36f-d4831d1e5f6c&priceBeautifyAB=0

Seats don't come out like in a van. You can fold them down and forward. You could unbolt them but that's it.

Reactions: xavierny25

BuffettTruck

May 2, 2018
Florida
Like I said, they ALL have Bose.

Just for my own clarification, are we talking about just the Saabs here or all GM360s? Even if Bose builds all the HUs for all GMT360s, I think the distinction as far as the harness goes would be the Bose Premium system or the standard system. My TB came to me used and already had a cheapo Pioneer in it and the Pac unit in it was just for OnStar retention and the speaker wires are in the dash harness. But then, I didn't even know until looking up what a GMT360 was that Saab even had a version of the TB and for all I know they did all come with the premium system.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He was asking about the Saabs so that's what I replied to. For other GM vehicles (not just trucks), you either have to check the RPO codes in the glove box or check what hardware is there. They're usually in the higher end equipped vehicles. All Saab 9-7x were high end.

Yours likely had the regular radio. Anyone curious to know what they have or what they are looking at in a junker, pop open the top dash cover and see if there is a tweeter in the small speaker openings or a cardboard filler.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Looks like you've got multiple video inputs with that model. Can't quite read what the top yellow input, 2nd from the right says, but that could be the one designated as a camera. The others are clearly labeled V In, V1, and V2.

You could try asking the Ebay seller about the specific backup camera option. Worst case, they don't answer you and you're still where you are today. Best case, they confirm there is one. middle case they tell you there isn't, and you have to choose something else.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
is the video input for cameras?

yes allready messaged a few sellers about the back up camera would actually prefer front and rear camera so I can aim one at hitch other behind vessel.

w/ the RP4 GM11 will I get to reuse the OEM GPS antenna?will the FM radio antenna connect to this or is another adapter required?

not sure if a trim piece is required?

also want is the piece under the rear seat?

edit: I've had Blaupunkt radios ever since they where in the lder BMWs decent radio back then they where made in Germany I think Blaupunkt sold out the the Chinese.

Blaupunkt seams weak as a co. not much details on there radios.
more important no surport phone# or email.

https://www.blaupunkt.com/us/nc/pro...ent/multimedia-devices/products/single/15799/
Thanks

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The video inputs are for anything you want. If they aren't specifically for a camera, the only problem would be that the HU wouldn't have the option to automatically switch to it's feed when you shifted into reverse. You'd have to select it manually when you wanted it.

With mine, although it is hooked up to activate on reverse, I'd say 90% of the time when I actually use it, is manually when I have the cargo area loaded and can't see very well out of the rear window from the rear view mirror.

If the 97x units sit behind the dash like the TBs and Envoys do, then a trim piece won't be needed. If the unit sits flush with the dash, then you would need a trim piece. Under the rear passenger side seat is the Onstar module.

BuffettTruck

May 2, 2018
Florida
Reactions: Mooseman

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
w/ the RP4 GM11 will I get to reuse the OEM GPS antenna?will the FM radio antenna connect to this or is another adapter required?

No for the GPS antenna (I think I explained that already). And you will need an antenna adapter (GM are smaller).

If the 97x units sit behind the dash like the TBs and Envoys do, then a trim piece won't be needed. If the unit sits flush with the dash, then you would need a trim piece.

Wrong on that. Different mount and bezel. They sit flush to each other, hence the Uplander/SV6 kit required.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
The yellows are Cam In, Video In and Video Out. V1 and V2 are Video Out to extra screens if you go that route. The orange one in the upper left is Front Cam. So you could have three cams connected if you wanted.

You can find the manual for it here:
https://www.blaupunkt.com/uploads/tx_ddfproductsbp/Portland%20310%20User%20Manual.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjdmq66sPHaAhWS0FMKHQprCh4QFjACegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0QHw2so10dwthsAmw_oOsN
I must have missed the link.

OK good I use video for camera as stated earlier from BLKshadow and now you

I like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blaupunkt-...292301086061?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Blaupunkt 6.2" In Dash Touch Screen Navigation Receiver
PORTLAND310NAV

It’s inexpensive has basically what I’d like to have in a radio builtin NAV.backup camera’s since it has a USB can I think I can play MP3s stored on flash drive?

Can I also upload my own screen saver /theme? If yes can these images be .GIF files. Like I could have my own slide show?

When I configure my phone for Bluetooth control is this own it’s own or is a onstar connection required? I’m thinking it isn’t the connection is made though the phone then just jumped over to the stereo.

I’m thinking on star is required when making calls?

edit: I expect to have rear camera acess from the menu can I ground the reverse wire so camera will come on even in drive?

Thanks

Attachments

• NAV SCREEN.jpg
    NAV SCREEN.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Can I also upload my own screen saver /theme? If yes can these images be .GIF files. Like I could have my own slide show?

Sorry if I come across as the forum police (and I'm not a mod) - but when you ask questions like this, you're effectively asking us to spend time to research things none of the rest of us have a passing interest in.

We may be SMEs (subject matter experts) concerning the truck, but not necessarily everything that can be put into the truck on a generic basis (e.g.; this HU can be installed in just about any vehicle - it's not unique to our trucks).

We're happy to pass out the fishing pole, and tell you where the fish are biting...but please don't continually ask us to catch the fish, clean them, cook them, and then serve them to you on a plate. :wink:

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Sorry if I come across as the forum police (and I'm not a mod) - but when you ask questions like this, you're effectively asking us to spend time to research things none of the rest of us have a passing interest in.

We may be SMEs (subject matter experts) concerning the truck, but not necessarily everything that can be put into the truck on a generic basis (e.g.; this HU can be installed in just about any vehicle - it's not unique to our trucks).

We're happy to pass out the fishing pole, and tell you where the fish are biting...but please don't continually ask us to catch the fish, clean them, cook them, and then serve them to you on a plate. :wink:
keep your advice.
this is a one off car

want real experience advice but not from you from others that are willing to share a tad of knowlegde

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Gentelmen, let's try to keep things civil. :popo:

@Sprung Monkey , you're starting to drift away from questions about the vehicle platform, and starting to ask for capabilities of the head unit itself. Your best bet would be to download the user manual from the manufacturer site, that way whenever you have a question pop up of what it can do, you have the answer at your fingertips. That would be the most efficient way to proceed, and it won't clutter your thread with posts that aren't pertinent.

I would venture to guess that most members here do not use Onstar in their vehicles. It's not required to be operational for anything else in the truck to function.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
keep your advice.
this is a one off car

want real experience advice but not from you from others that are willing to share a tad of knowlegde
This is not a one-off car, it isn't even a car it is a damn SUV. We cannot know every piece of equipment. You have a blatant disregard for others with you not using spell check and keeping your grammar in check.

Reactions: DAlastDON

BuffettTruck

May 2, 2018
Florida
Sorry Sprung, but Reprise kind of has a point. To be clear, I did not mind at all passing on what I had learned of the Blaupunkt, but to be fully honest, the ONLY reason I looked it up was because I hadn't heard of Blaupunkt in so long that I didn't know they were still around. After reading your question about the headunit, it took about 5 seconds to put the model number into google and 10-15 seconds more to locate the pdf file. Not a huge loss or waste of my time and I didn't mind after having found the info I passing it on, but as Reprise suggested, I had essentially done your research for you. I get asking questions regarding the particulars of your vehicle, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with car audio and I get asking questions about particular equipment, but when you start asking about car audio equiment on a GMT forum... well... I am not sure how many car audio salesmen/installers are going to be here to help you. If you want more insight into particular equipment, there are some great car audio forums with guys who have a vast amount of experience and knowledge and might be able to tell you more about the blaupunkt than a spec sheet can tell you.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Im considering a radio receiver upgrade.

1) Can my onstar microphone be integrated into the new receiver for the bluetooth linked cell phone system ? Try finding this information online is a real challenge.

2) Is it worth it to get a "sirius-xm ready" receiver ?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
1. Theoretically you could. You eould have to unplug if from the Onstar module run it back to the HU and change the plug to work with it

2. Having had Sirius, I say no. Get Spotify and stream it to your HU via Bluetooth.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
While I have the carpet all pulled out of the truck for my dual batter installation it might be worthwhile to run two wires from the microphone lines at the Onstar module forward to the new HU to I can just track the Onstar wires forward and splice in a convenient spot.

I have located two possible wiring harnesses :
1) PAC - Radio Replacement Interface Select GM Class II Vehicles - Blue/Black Model: OS-2X

2) PAC RP5-GM11 Radio Replacement Interface With Built-In OnStar Retention/Steering Wheel Control Retention/Navigation Outputs for Select GM Class II Vehicles

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online