installed new ignition switch now this......

littledane

Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Ok so I had a pesky passlock light that stayed on all the time a was draining my battery. I finally put a new battery in and it threw a CEL for a faulty ignition switch. I ordered an AC Delco switch and installed it today. Now I have this problem........05 trailblazer ls with 125k miles.

[video]http://youtu.be/WVY6s0gQH7s[/video]

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
What was the exact code it threw?

That looks like a loose ground G201 for the dash area that's at the right side of the transmission tunnel at the bottom of the center dash stack. Or some other intelligent module jabbering on the data bus that was pushed over the edge into non-functionality by the battery swap. Data comm problems are difficult, but possible to troubleshoot. Assume you have a meter and some electrical troubleshooting experience?

3.jpg

littledane

Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Im not sure of the exact code it threw. I took it to advanced auto and had it checked. I do have a volt meter but I dont have very much trouble shooting experience.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
If the ignition was off and the key was out in the video, the gear on the switch must not be
aligned correctly. Search for threads on installation of this switch.

littledane

Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Yeah I did forget that part....... I was trying to post and chase a 1 year old around. lol. I went back and looked at the old switch and I thought I had it aligned the same. I just checked the ground and it was tight. I will pull the swith out again in the morning and look. I really need to get it running soon because the transmission in my wifes Vue is dying a slow and painful death.

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
littledane said:
Yeah I did forget that part....... I was trying to post and chase a 1 year old around. lol. I went back and looked at the old switch and I thought I had it aligned the same. I just checked the ground and it was tight. I will pull the swith out again in the morning and look. I really need to get it running soon because the transmission in my wifes Vue is dying a slow and painful death.
That slow and painful death will at some point turn into a very quick and even more painful death.

Also, if the dash gauges are all active and freaking out with the key out, you might have a dead batt in the morning. I am new here, so please correct me *cough*roadie*cough* if I am wrong, but you might consider disconnecting the battery to preserve its life, unless of course I am wrong, in which case, don't. If you DO need a jump, make sure to search here for a thread on the proper method to do so (again, new here - don't know the procedure myself), because apparently doing it the wrong way can fry a whole bunch of fuses, and that's a bad thing.

littledane

Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
So I just went out and messed with the switch some more. The problem I was having has seemed to have stopped but now my radio stays on but I have no sound. Could I still be a tooth or ywo two off?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I would check it with a voltmeter now to be sure. You might need to pull the radio fuse for a minute or two to make sure it resets. Is this the ONLY issue remaining?

RED on the ignition switch is 12V, fused by underhood fuse #34, and feeds the following three circuits:
White is hot in ACCY, RUN, START
Orange is hot in RUN
Yellow is hot in START

RED/WHITE is another 12V, fused by underhood fuse #36, and feeds two circuits:
Brown is hot in ACCY, RUN
Pink is hot in RUN, START

littledane

Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
It appears to be the only problem now. I drove it up and down the street and everything seemed ok. Ive got an aftermarket radio as well.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What kind of interface did you use? I've had a couple Axxess GMOS-04 die on me like that after disconnecting the battery. It would just stay on and not get any sound.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Ahhhh, what brand adapter? Scosche are reportedly built from used iPod2 parts ground up in a blender and recycled into adapters that work (maybe) for a month or two and then die and drain your battery and make your instrument panel go nuts.....wait.....those are the symptoms you had. :hissyfit:

Wish we had remembered to ask you on Day 1: Do you have an aftermarket radio with a control/power adapter that's tied to the data bus?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I had a couple of Metra/Axxess GMOS modules go back on me, I had heard about the unreliability of Scosche, so I opted for a PAC OS-2C module. Has been great for the last couple of years. :twocents:

littledane

Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Thanks I just looked that one up. I need the one for the BOSE system but I found it on a few sites for a fairly good price. I will be ordering it hopefully soon.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had a PAC and didn't like it because it used the high level speaker outputs which didn't sound as good. The GMOS-04 used line out (RCA connectors) so I just went back to it. Using another HU so I'm hoping it was my previous HU that caused it to die but I might still pull the fuses if I have to disconnect the battery just in case. :ugh:

littledane

Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Thanks for all the help guys! I knew this site would be better than that other one. I finally got around to pulling my deck out tonight to see what interface I had. I have an Axxess gmos-04. I put the factory radio back in and everything is working as it should. I guess I will try a Metra when I have the extra $$ to order one.

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm pretty sure Metra and Axxess are the same. Just the name and packaging changed.

02TrailBlazer

Jan 22, 2013
Had a GMOS-01 go out on me after 3 months, it started messing with all sorts of stuff in addition to having a .75 amp draw no matter what.

I feel your pain.

littledane

Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Think im going to just leave the factory deck in and sell my tv. Its so much easier that way.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.