Installed new Android Stereo thoughts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The two in the low middle look like connectors for the radio and OnStar.

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
I will be doing install on friday. Hopefully it goes easy. It even came with 2 screen protectors like cell phones have.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
Every wiring diagram says the four outer corners aren't used. Then what are these 4? Green and black with white strip then two solid orange.

Also, which wires are what? I'm starting to think that green wire is for one of the speakers.

Attachments

• 20180426_183635.jpg
    20180426_183635.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
The only wires I'm not sure about are the three on the top right. orange - serial data, purple/white - fm sig and gray - enable sig.
Nothing on the wire harness i got from walmart uses these 3 wires.
Also there is no reverse, ignition or dimmer wires from the vehicle side harness (picture)
Also where would the steering wheeling controls harness be?

I wired up everything to the walmart harness (speakers, yellow constant and ground). Plugged it into vehicle and then into radio. the buttons blinked once but the stereo would not power on (possible due to the lack of power wire)

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
My Eonon came with the appropriate interface module. Want to talk cheap though, it is cheaper than the GMOS ones (but so far seems to work fine). That may be because I got a "direct fit" unit that was 95% just plug-n-play without any adapter brackets or anything. Not sure if they include that adapter stuff with the more "generic" units or not.

If you need an adapter, I do have my old GMOS left over from my TB I'd sell really cheap as I have no use of it. Never had a problem with it except when my original TCCM died spewing garbage on the data bus and would confuse it lol.
Which eonon did you get and what does your adapter look like?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Don't expect much from the Walmart adapter. What brand was it? I'll bet it was a Scosche. They are pretty cheap and minimalist. I used that because I didn't have Bose and needed it now. For the reverse, I used the power wire from the camera connected at the backup light in the back. It's supposed to be used to supply power to the camera from under the dash but I used it to activate the HU.

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
You used the reverse wire to power up the hu? Wouldn't that wire only be activated while in reverse?

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
Found these

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-27-05-43-54.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-27-05-43-54.png
    622.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2018-04-27-05-44-24.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-27-05-44-24.png
    833.4 KB · Views: 7

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
Ok, got the stereo to turn on. speaker wires have power at the harness but no audio output. Volume is up and mute is off. Any ideas?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You said you don't have Bose right?

I used the reverse light power to turn on the reverse screen on the HU.

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
Oh you mean the reverse cam.
Yes i dont have bose.
But i still cant figure out why i have no audio. Every speaker wire has power (used a ground/power tester light)

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
I just realized, i have the grey power antenna line, but no power antenna.
Also anyone know what the second orange wire is under the constant wire? I test it and my testing light illuminates, but dimmly and doesnt constantly stay on unless i move the needle on the tester around on that wire

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
so i found out the second orange wire is a data wire, not to be used.
But if I have no power antenna wire, is this the wire i need to hook the amp wire from the deck to, to possibly get audio?

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
i decided to take the power antenna line from the head unit (which has power when the unit is on) and connect it to the power antenna wire on the factory harness. As soon as I connect it, my power tester says there is no power and it doesn't spark so it's not grounding it's self.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hooking up that wire won't do anything.

did you check the HU's settings so that it will output sound? Might be set to use just the RCA outputs to an amp or something.

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
Ya found that out. I checked all the settings including unlocking the factory settings. Nothing to switch from wired to rca. I even tried the rca hookuos with one speaker and got nothing.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The RCA would be pre-amp output so you would have gotten very low to no output, certainly not enough to operate speakers. Maybe try to connect some headphones to the RCA to see if anything is coming out of them. You might have a defective HU.

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
The rca's on this have sub, and 4 speakers output.

They sent me an update but still didnt work. So they are working with the techs to figure this out.

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
Well sent the unit back and paid the difference for the newest model. Hooked it up direct to battery and used a stand alone speaker, this ine works.
Hooked it up to the pacrp5-gm11 canbus and everything works. Now just have to wire in the backup cam, remove all wires i'm not using from the stereos harness and modify the dash shroud to fit the stereo.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So it was bad?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So which unit did you get?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So was it a direct plug in without an adapter harness? Looks like a direct bolt in and has its own harness. How does the install look like? Did you need any trimming? Pics?

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
No i had to modify the harness. Pulled the pins out of the plugs i needed and soldiered them to the pac harness. Still need to clean up the harness that came with the stereo by removing any wires not in use.

Rught now it being held in by two screws. Gotta do sone trimming and custim workbto make it fit properly. I dont have the dash bezel on right now.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Looks exactly like the one in my Silverado, though newer so it probably runs better. I do like how the older ones like mine don't have the branding on them so it looks factory in my truck.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It probably sticks out quite a bit, which is why you can't put on the trim.

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
Yep thats why i have to do some custom trimming to make it sit more flush. I know i have to do a little trimming on the bezel for the knobs

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
Stereo is in. Not pretty but it works. Had to trim off the higher mounts on the stereo face. Shave down the upper left corner bezel clip to make it pass the stereo, clip still works though. I over trimmed the bezel around the stereo though.

Attachments

• 20180610_180433.jpg
    20180610_180433.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180610_170050.jpg
    20180610_170050.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 23

mntegra01

Mar 26, 2018
Virginia
Dang nice work. I just put new bulbs in my original OE stereo. Wish I had considered that before all the dash work I have done lately. I did a compustar remote start/alarm install recently. Haha I bought a BT adapter from Amazon to play music from my phone on 87.7 FM, this is 2018. Im living in 2009 :dunce:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Welp, guess it's my turn to contribute to this thread! :biggrin:

Picked up an Xtrons TE103AP unit off Amazon this weekend, received and installed last night. This thing is pretty massive and takes up every bit of room inside our dashes. Previously I had my PAC adapter, chimes module, and steering wheel control module in there. Those all needed to get relocated. Mostly behind the rear wiper switch, or pushed up as high as possible. It might not be so bad, but they give you 5 wiring harnesses to plug into this thing, with a million connections, which of course the ones I needed were spread between ALL of them. The thought of chopping wires did cross my mind more than a few times, but I made it work.

The unit comes with slotted adjustable brackets, so you could theoretically control how deep inside your dash the unit sits. I was also able to use one bolt on each side to hold it in place, and not have to cut those locating nipples off. (not pictured, but I can get some if anyone decides go go with this unit later)

Clearances are good, it's closer to the gear shift (obviously) but not in the way. Not sure why the 2nd pic looks like it's almost touching :confused: I can get to the rear wiper and HVAC controls all the same. This also opens up my center air vents more, as I no longer need to have my phone mounted up there. :thumbsup:

20181125_223418.jpg20181125_223443.jpg20181125_223454.jpg

Downside is, anytime I need to remove that dash panel, I have to disconnect the screen. It's secured by 2 pins on either side of the hinge, that have to be pulled out with a pick tool. No way to do it with just your fingers. The screen has a ribbon cable (IDE style for the computer folks) that plugs into the main body. The vertical adjustment is nice, wish it had some side to side adjustment but I'll live.

Everything looks great on the larger screen, especially Waze, compared to my phone. It's advertised as being able display 2 apps side by side, I haven't figured that out yet, so I'll have to read the manual, but that will be great for things like navigation and Torque at the same time.

20181125_224548.jpg20181125_230921.jpg

It's gonna take me a while to get everything configured, was hoping it would be delivered earlier in the day, so I'd have all day to install and play with it, but it came in the evening instead. It mutes music playback when the backup cam comes on, so I sure hope there's a setting I can find to change that.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Chr!st on a cross...that screen looks tablet-sized!

Keep us posted on how you like it. Thx :smile:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
People are going to think he dropped a TB body on a Tesla frame with a screen that big!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Chr!st on a cross...that screen looks tablet-sized!

Keep us posted on how you like it. Thx :smile:

:laugh: It basically is... I remembered how cool it was, when people were actually installing tablets in their dashes, but it was a royal pain to get an interface to work as desired (ignition functions, multi channel audio, etc) I did research on this unit for a couple of weeks, found a long thread on an Android forum, haven't decided if I'm gonna root it yet.

People are going to think he dropped a TB body on a Tesla frame with a screen that big!

One of my buddies mentioned the Teslas too when I sent him the pics.

@Blckshdw are you using your phone as a hot spot for the head unit or a separate unit?

Hot spotting with my phone for now. Was using my Note 2 for navigation and such, and hot spotting with my new phone until I got a charging holder for it. But since they haven't come out with a charging holder yet, I can skip that step. They do offer a sim card dongle that you can plug into one of the 3 USB ports, but the reviews weren't that great.

Reactions: xavierny25 and Matt

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I've been looking for an Android Auto-compatible HU for a couple of weeks now (but from one of the 'brand' names). Want something under $250 if possible; I think I paid about that for my Pio AVH-3600 (?) a couple of years ago (which I just swapped to the Sierra.) But the new AA-enabled decks are crazy expensive. So this might be an option for me.

I don't need much - rear cam for hooking up the trailer, and Google maps for getting said trailer to the next destination. I can even do mechless if needed. And a double-DIN sized screen is fine. Suggestions welcome :smile:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I was in a similar boat. This is the first non-Pioneer HU I've bought. The Android Auto stuff just didn't seem like it was going to give me what I wanted, the way I wanted it. I looked into some of the Joying Android HUs when @xavierny25 posted about them a while back, but the ones I had saved went out of stock. If I would have gone with a 6 or 7" screen unit, the cost would have come down, and the ease of installation would have gone way up. Since it sounds like your needs and requirements are far less than mine, you could certainly find cheaper options (with less wiring harnesses needed too).

I realized I'll need to take the dash apart again. While removing some old components last night, I came across a loose wire with a crimped connector, and couldn't figure out what it was for. Then I noticed how in my 2nd to last pic, the steering wheel LEDs aren't lit up. :hissyfit:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online