Installed new Android Stereo thoughts.

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
Hey Everyone, just got done this weekend installing one of those Chinese brand Android Radios. For a equivalent Nav/DVD unit from Alpine or Kenwood it was about $750+ while I got this with wiring harness, and dash kit for about $250 with overnight shipping from Amazon. You can find them under the reseller name Joying, Pumpkin, NAVISKAUTO, and others.

Since I went cheap and didn't buy the metra kit with RAP I tapped into a switched 12v fuse in the cabin fuse box (Rain Sense wipers I think) Cut off the ISO Radio plug and wired up without any issues, stuck the magnetic GPS adapter on a piece of metal next to the light sensor up front.

I didn't think to take any photos of the install but I will update this later, since the Dash kit I bought was the wrong kind so later this week i'll be taking it apart again.

Here are the pics of it. Some of the great features since I have Google Play Music/Youtube Red are being able to share wifi from my phone and the Radio plays the song with Album Art, which is annoying that my Charger doesn't do over Bluetooth. Same with Google maps, it's nice using the included mic to just hit google maps and say search for nearest Taco Bell, or Discount Tire, etc.

Also included is Bluetooth functionality, it copies History & Contacts locally and the stock Mic works pretty good, people I've talked to said it sounds just as good as the stock BT system in my Charger.

Being Basically an Android Tablet with Radio functionality you can download any Android app such as Torque or Youtube or even games if you wanted and it runs great. Rooting is really easy also a good resource for changes to the OS if you want Mods and Fixes are found at XDA. The chassis itself is known as the "Hui Fei" Type, basically one common headunit with small customizations made by resellers http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type this link also shows the passwords needed to root the device if you wanted to make any changes.

Kxi2Gas.jpg

3387sfx.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have an Eonon (similar thing) in my Silverado, for the same reason. Going to use the info from XDA to root it eventually to (hopefully) resolve some relatively minor bugs in it.

Over all, I really like the thing.

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
I have an Eonon (similar thing) in my Silverado, for the same reason. Going to use the info from XDA to root it eventually to (hopefully) resolve some relatively minor bugs in it.

Over all, I really like the thing.
If you don't mind me asking what issues are you having and when did they appear?

I ask because some people on Amazon have said they start to see issues in the Unit about 2-4 weeks in (GPS not working, or Wifi Not working) I'm assuming GPS would be either a bad GPS Mount or the Cheap GPS adapter dying.

So far the only issue I've had is the Google Play wouldn't show the album art but clearing the cache solved that.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My wifi, gps, etc all have worked fine (though wifi signal is a bit weak compared to my phone). The minor issues I've had are my steering wheel volume controls sometimes adjust by 2 ticks instead of one when pushing the volume button once (and this could just be the canbus interface box more than the unit itself), and on occasion I get this "Google Play services has stopped" message. Those are the most common things. I've had the radio over a year.

I think there was one other thing that was a little off once or twice but I can't think of it, so it can't be all that important lol.

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
Just got done Rooting the Nav unit and changed a few things, boot logo & animation is now the Chevy symbol, Changed the dock, and Also changed the audio driver with a different app that makes a huge difference in audio clarity! Like going from Flat stock radio sound to a perfect sound stage. Called Viper4Android See this video here and you can even see just how dramatic the difference is even over a phone video.

Do these have their own built in hotspots to connect to the play store? I'm just wondering since you can download apps and all that junk.
They have 2 Regular USB Ports + 1 Mini USB that can be used with one of These USB 3g Adapters for inserting a SIM card otherwise as trkdrvremt said, hotspot from phone only. Personally, I have my phone setup so it auto turns hotspot on if I go outside my house or a certain "geofence" at certain times of the day (M-F) 8:30-9AM for my daily commute for instance. So I don't even have to bother with it.

Will they work with iPhone? I like all of this, but need to work with my iPhone.

It comes with a 30-pin Ipod connector, I know the latest ones have Lightning cables so you'd probably need an adapter. Other things I remember reading is that you Can Mirror + Control your phone on Android, buit can only Mirror your phone on Iphone. Will try and find the link if I can. Here is the Manufacturer specs for Iphone.

"Android Phone Mirroring, you have to connect your android phone by USB. Note: Do Not reset the factory data for this function.
Airplay for iPhone 6/6 plus/5/5c/5S/4/4S"

Edit: I did find this review from an iPhone guy. He gave it 3 stars.

"I bought this to try out and see how to it's integration with an iPhone really is. There wasn't too much information online about the specifics of this head unit and how well it integrates with an iPhone. The Mirror Link is a joke, the stereo displays the phone screen but you cannot control your iPhone via the stereo screen. It just displays what the phone displays. I really wanted a Double DIN stereo that would connect with my iPhone and I could control via the stereo.

The size is non-standard Double Din width. I did read about this in other reviews but I didn't think it would be such a large difference. I would have to cut 2-3mm off of each side of the Metra 95-6528B Double Din Dash Kit that I bought for my truck. This could have been doable but a lot of work.

Overall, if you want a nice looking Double DIN stereo with bluetooth, WiFi, nav, backup camera with some basic integration with an iPhone this would work fine. For me, I returned it and bought a Pioneer AppRadio4 with CarPlay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trkdrvremt

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
What's all needed to install one of these into our vehicles? i'm looking at ine from eonon

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nothing special. The same as any head unit. An interface adapter makes it easier but necessary if retaining Bose. A dash install kit also makes it much easier even if you have to trim it to fit (trust me). The only additional thing really is snaking the GPS receiver onto the dash top near the sun sensor. Doesn't have to be mounted outside.

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
No bose. i have the onstar system but not in use since its the anolog version.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
For what it is worth, in my Silverado with my Eonon I just stuck the GPS receiver to the top of the unit (it is magnetic), shoved the whole thing in the dash, and the GPS works perfectly. Didn't need to bother with routing it through the dash.

The wire is like a mile long so that's all coiled up and stuffed back there. Sometimes that wire rattles in the dash so I need to wrap it in foam or something to shut it up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
An interface would make it easier and retain the chimes. A GMOS (cheap and equally unreliable) or PAC Audio interface (pricier but equally better) would make it all plug and play.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My Eonon came with the appropriate interface module. Want to talk cheap though, it is cheaper than the GMOS ones (but so far seems to work fine). That may be because I got a "direct fit" unit that was 95% just plug-n-play without any adapter brackets or anything. Not sure if they include that adapter stuff with the more "generic" units or not.

If you need an adapter, I do have my old GMOS left over from my TB I'd sell really cheap as I have no use of it. Never had a problem with it except when my original TCCM died spewing garbage on the data bus and would confuse it lol.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You could do some surgery on the bezel but might look a bit ghetto. Another possibility is a full screen, no buttons version. This one is an Android 5.1 that I got for the Saab and it's been good so far. The touch buttons on the left might get obstructed and also the micro SD slot for the GPS.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/And...32657757770.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.mylc1c

There doesn't seem to be any Androids specific for Trailblazers.

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
Looking for dash and back up cam capabilities.

Not to worried about trimming the bezel as i use my tb off road as well as a dd.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Hey Everyone, just got done this weekend installing one of those Chinese brand Android Radios. For a equivalent Nav/DVD unit from Alpine or Kenwood it was about $750+ while I got this with wiring harness, and dash kit for about $250 with overnight shipping from Amazon. You can find them under the reseller name Joying, Pumpkin, NAVISKAUTO, and others.

Since I went cheap and didn't buy the metra kit with RAP I tapped into a switched 12v fuse in the cabin fuse box (Rain Sense wipers I think) Cut off the ISO Radio plug and wired up without any issues, stuck the magnetic GPS adapter on a piece of metal next to the light sensor up front.

I didn't think to take any photos of the install but I will update this later, since the Dash kit I bought was the wrong kind so later this week i'll be taking it apart again.

Here are the pics of it. Some of the great features since I have Google Play Music/Youtube Red are being able to share wifi from my phone and the Radio plays the song with Album Art, which is annoying that my Charger doesn't do over Bluetooth. Same with Google maps, it's nice using the included mic to just hit google maps and say search for nearest Taco Bell, or Discount Tire, etc.

Also included is Bluetooth functionality, it copies History & Contacts locally and the stock Mic works pretty good, people I've talked to said it sounds just as good as the stock BT system in my Charger.

Being Basically an Android Tablet with Radio functionality you can download any Android app such as Torque or Youtube or even games if you wanted and it runs great. Rooting is really easy also a good resource for changes to the OS if you want Mods and Fixes are found at XDA. The chassis itself is known as the "Hui Fei" Type, basically one common headunit with small customizations made by resellers http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type this link also shows the passwords needed to root the device if you wanted to make any changes.

Kxi2Gas.jpg

3387sfx.jpg
That looks really good. I've considered doing this a couple times. Can you post a link to the exact one you bought? Is that just the factory bezel, or is that an aftermarket one? Any gaps?

Unrelated: You have your transfer case in auto mode. That's generally considered a bad idea if you're running a stock TB. Just an FYI.

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
That looks really good. I've considered doing this a couple times. Can you post a link to the exact one you bought? Is that just the factory bezel, or is that an aftermarket one? Any gaps?

Unrelated: You have your transfer case in auto mode. That's generally considered a bad idea if you're running a stock TB. Just an FYI.

The original pictures above are before I got the Aftermarket dash kit and was just basically sitting in the opening. I since bought this and had to shave a decent amount using a dremel. The good thing is that the factory trim for the dash actually covers over the corners and very edge of the metra kit, so you cant see the shaving I had to do. Her was the kit I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D3NEEU/?tag=gmtnation-20

and here was the Radio I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0151KNXJ8/?tag=gmtnation-20

I don't keep the car in AWD/4-Hi it was probably switched when I had to remove the connectors/switchhes from the trim.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
The original pictures above are before I got the Aftermarket dash kit and was just basically sitting in the opening. I since bought this and had to shave a decent amount using a dremel. The good thing is that the factory trim for the dash actually covers over the corners and very edge of the metra kit, so you cant see the shaving I had to do. Her was the kit I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D3NEEU/?tag=gmtnation-20

and here was the Radio I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0151KNXJ8/?tag=gmtnation-20

I don't keep the car in AWD/4-Hi it was probably switched when I had to remove the connectors/switchhes from the trim.
Thanks for the links. I added them to my car wishlist!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I know this is annold thread, but i figure kerping the android audio in one thread is a better idea then starting new ones.
I just ordered this, https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-G...e-2GB-RAM-Car-Radio-Bluetooth-DVD-Player.html
Hopefully the interface adapter works.

03 tb lt, no bose, analog onstar not in use, no xm and i have steering wheel controls.

:undecided: They post the screen resolution as only 1024 * 600, but that it supports 4K playback. That seems kinda odd, I wonder if that just means that the video will play, and not show up with a blank screen? Never heard of downscaling being advertised before :tongue:

I haven't looked at the radio stack in our trucks in a while, but are you sure it will fit? (or are you planning to mod it, and MAKE it fit :biggrin:) The compatible vehicles list doesn't have our platform listed.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I know this is annold thread, but i figure kerping the android audio in one thread is a better idea then starting new ones.
I just ordered this, https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-G...e-2GB-RAM-Car-Radio-Bluetooth-DVD-Player.html
Hopefully the interface adapter works.

03 tb lt, no bose, analog onstar not in use, no xm and i have steering wheel controls.
Not likely going to be an easy install.

Applicable Models: Chevy Silverado 1500 (2009-2012) Chevy Silverado 2500HD (2009-2012) Chevy Silverado 3500HD (2009-2012) Chevrolet Avalanche (2009-2011) Chevrolet Express Van (2008-2011) Chevrolet Impala (2008-2012) Chevrolet Traverse (2008-2012) GMC Acadia (2009-2011) GMC Savana (2008-2009) GMC Sierra (2009-2011) GMC Yukon (2008-2011) GMC Denali (2008-2011) Buick Enclave (2008-2012) (Note: Please confirm the model year, size and shape of the center console panel before purchasing. And consult our customer service first if your car is beyond the scope of application.)

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@Mirror I'm plus 1 with @Blckshdw. Is it going to fit? I've installed a few JOYING android units sold on Amazon with great success. They are really good units and they even have a 8" with a detachable face that I'm going to be ordering for my Voy.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
@Mirror I'm plus 1 with @Blckshdw. Is it going to fit? I've installed a few JOYING android units sold on Amazon with great success. They are really good units and they even have a 8" with a detachable face that I'm going to be ordering for my Voy.

I may have to keep this in mind, depending how that fits for you. I've been wanting an Android unit, pretty much a few months after I bought the Pioneer one I have now :duh: Couldn't justify spending the money, and putting a perfectly good HU on the shelf with the rest of my unused mods. That's an interesting design style, with the sort-of floating screen. I saw they also have a 10.1 screen, where were these when putting tablets in the radio stack was a hot mod! :rotfl:

Reactions: xavierny25

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
But do the screw holes line up and such? I wanna say we have three 7mm hex head screws, 2 on the left, 1 on the right, and a plastic nipple on the right side of the stack that goes through a hole in the aftermarket HU adapters. Also looks like that one has built in spaces for the dash bezel to snap through it. Not sure if there's enough clearance between our dashes and the bezel for those, or if you'll need to cut/grind them to make clearance.

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
As long as the unit fits in the hole, that's all u'm worried about. Plastic can be trimmed and or heated and molded. Metal can be trimmed and drilled through.

Reactions: Blckshdw

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I wanna say we have three 7mm hex head screws, 2 on the left, 1 on the right, and a plastic nipple on the right side of the stack that goes through a hole in the aftermarket HU adapters.

It's actually the other way around 2 7mm on the right and 1 on the left.20170419_220022.jpg
This is the 7" Joying unit in my brother-in-laws tbss I installed about 1yr ago.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've done installs in both and they are different. That one looks like it would fit for the 9-7x, which is different than the rest on the 360 universe. In the 9-7x, the radio face is part of the dash whereas the rest are "behind" it. This was the install in mine with an install kit for an Uplander/SV6 and the mounts were exactly the same as the one you ordered. Notice the face is flush.
https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/project-dark-saab.15762/post-515662

The radio face in the other 360's is not flush, just like in @xavierny25 's pic.

I do like the idea on the integrated adapter for the connections.

Reactions: xavierny25

Mirror

Jan 27, 2014
I get the stereo today. Only took 5 days from hong kong. Now for the interface modual, what exactly does it enable in the vehicle besides the chimes? Not sure if the one it comes with will work on the tb or not.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It is supposed to do chimes and also handle the RAP, provided switched power, and all that stuff. Without it, you'd have to run some of your own wiring to get the radio to power on and off correctly.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Retained Accessory Power. Keeps radio and some stuff on for 10 minutes after key off.

I thought this HU came with a module built in?

Reactions: djthumper

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Aftermarkets may come with the module but almost never built in because they'll use the same radio guts across models for other cars.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online