Installed my Circle D 3200 stall converter...

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
First of all, a special thank you goes out to my brother (JosueLT that most of the midwest folks know and have met) who took his only day off and took time away from his family to come and help me with the install today. My hat goes off to Brian, Chris, and all the folks at Circle D. A1 customer service from the time i ordered the stall to the time of installation when i had questions about spacers.

I bought the converter Monday last week. It was at my doorstep Friday and we installed it today. Installation went about as we expected it to and it was a shit ton easier to install the converter pull the tranny, than it was to do headers lol. We started at 7am and by 9, the tranny was out. For once, thank God my motor has been replaced 4 times in the last 3 years and i only have 53k miles on the body. I have long tube headers as well that were installed in May so fresh bolts there too and not having to worry about finessing the stock y pipe, and im 2wd. All bolts were nice and fresh and were a breeze to break free and rather easy to get to. We made one little mistake and forgot to put the clip back on over the seal that goes around the shaft and realized it when we went to put the headers y pipe back on. This time, it only took us a half hour to yank the tranny back out. So this is very doable for the intermediate mechanic that doesnt want to pay someone and has access to a lift. After removing the tranny, installing the converter, figuring out the shims that we needed because my converter was too far away from the flexplate, stopping for 2 hours to go to the bank and go buy fluids/seals (i work 2 jobs from 8am to midnight so i could get to a bank before today) and eat breakfast, and buttoning everthing back up, we were done by 230pm. So about 4 hours for our very first time doing this. Next time when we go to replace my tranny, im sure it'll be less than 2-3 hours...

Onto the pix...

Getting started...
20150818_080550_zpsys4w96e3.jpg

Laying out and organizing parts and bolts
20150818_080534_zpsln5q1y0l.jpg

We didnt have to remove the passenger side header to get the starter out to get to the stock stall bolts...
20150818_082939_zpslu7deaek.jpg

Definetly need the right tools to make the job easy as hell LOL
20150818_085927_zpsdzoqfurf.jpg

Out she comes...
20150818_091708_zpsozggyxui.jpg

The clip that we forgot to put on the shaft seal that you see laying on the bottom of the bell housing. The clip was on the work bench. We didnt install the tranny with it laying there lol...
20150818_092738_zpsgafzweyr.jpg

Stock stall on the left. Circle D on the right
20150818_093604_zpspdqo8vgh.jpg

Shes in!
20150818_113739_zpsdrlhrfzs.jpg

The shims we needed to use...
20150818_131249_zpshuaurjhm.jpg

And putting it all back together...
20150818_085537_zps4sdqtxip.jpg

Other than the scary first start up and harsh shifting, i can DEFINETLY tell a difference. It's not as bad as i thought it was leaving from a dead stop but absolutely rapes from a roll now. It doesnt take a lot of throttle to get it moving like i read it would. There's a noticible difference in normal take off now and my exhaust did get louder, but nothing too drastic to make the popo mess with me.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
What's the stall on that converter?

Is it much stronger off the line now?

Looks like a nice performance upgrade.

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
^^ this lol...

It's a 3000-3200 stall. It's the 278mm Circle D stall and so far I've only flashed it to 2200 rpms and i absolutely destroyed my tires lol. So I'll need some drag radials next. It's noticeably stronger now especially from a roll and I would relate it to being more sluggish off the line under normal driving conditions because you have to give it more throttle to get it moving now since there's a higher stall speed. But it almost instantly gets to the power band now whether it's a roll or stop.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You gonna get any vids man? Would love to see [emoji14]

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Figures Josh doing that...

Reactions: Boricua SS

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
Nice. Chris is a good guy for sure. I used a Circle D converter in my Turbo 01 Z28. It worked pretty well for my combo, but could have been a little tighter up top. Either way, it netted me a 9.92 @ 141 leaving off the foot brake and running 14-15 lbs down the track.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Careful, put drag radials on and you'll shatter the poor 4L70E!

Reactions: Boricua SS

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Thats,why I'm getting my built trans in the spring :smile:. I just need it to hold for the next month or so since she'll be parked for the season here soon

And I'll have to coordinate with my brother for some vids. It start pouring when we wrapped things up so I really couldn't do anything then lol.

Reactions: Capote

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Fine fine...I guess i will drive it for the videos. :biggrin:

Reactions: Boricua SS and Matt

Boricua SS

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Ok ok ok... just no off roading! :rotfl:

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Boricua SS