Inner Tie rod end boot

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
long story short,

I messed up the Rack boot (bellow) inner tie rod end boot, whatever the you may call it.

Where is a good source to get a new one? Napa - nope, Advanced lists a Moog but after Napa researched it, it fits a lot of imports but not GM 360.

That leaves Dealer for $100 or Advanced for $18.

Does anyone have any luck with the Duralast fitting out trucks? Is it worth 80 more for the GM?

And as far as the other side goes, there is some play but it’s not from the outer. There is also a slight clunk with the movement. Inner or play in the Rack? It still has the factory squeeze clamps so I can’t easily move it to check.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Often times those generic boots have stepped holes that you then cut back to fit the appropriate size rack/tie rod.

Other side sounds like the inner rod is loose to me. If it was the rack both sides would have that clunk as the entire thing would wiggle internally.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There shouldn't be any movement so it's quite possible that your inner rod(s) is worn. You could cut off the clamps and then replace them with hose clamps.

A boot is a boot. Get the cheapest possible. RockAuto has one listed but is out of stock. Tried Googling that part number, got nada. If you have part numbers, try them in Amazon search. Might get lucky.

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks for the replays. The driver's side outer end is shot lots of play and can see it. I cant tell about play from inner because the outer is bad.

It is not a big cluck but there is a sound associated with the 9 & 3 wheel play from what I think is the inner end area.

I will get the driver's side fixed and then look at the passenger side. The rack itself is not loose but i was not sure about internal play.
Next time I will take the boot off before I heat the lock nut :bonk:

on another note are most suspension bolts on this truck 21mm? I need to get a 21mm combo wrench.

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
The Autozone boot came in. It is a little loose, longer so it bunches when retracted, and the clamps are CVC boots clamps that I can't get tight.

Does anyone here have an old rack laying around and are willing to part with a boot from it?

What are you using for clamps? Hose clamps don't seem to fit the rack end will.

As for the play on the other side it was from the inner. I used Loctite red Hopefully I am able to get it apart again if i have to. I'm reading requires heat to take apart but i didn't need it on the factory one. Also do I need the plastic sleeve from the old end? That was all cracked and in pieces.

Realism

Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
Have you checked local salvage yards for any matching boots?
Clamps, yeah, Im still on the look out for those after I replaced my inners. Used 1/4" zip ties from harbor freight and cinched them tight. Been three months now and so far they are holding okay. No slippage.

Not sure what you mean by "plastic sleeve"

While it may not be necessary to replace the other side if it is in good working order, I would recommend it. Keeps wear matched and likely if one side goes out, the other one wont be too far behind. Besides, would you really want to pay for an alignment a second time if you didnt have to.

blautens

Jan 2, 2013
Zip ties for me, too. Been 18 months - they're on solid. Mooseman is right - the boot is not critical - it's not at the front wheels taking a bunch of abuse. It's tucked up towards the back, less debris hitting it, less movement than an outer CV joint boot. I'm willing to bet I could use some plastic drop cloth and zip ties and be good for a long time.

To be fair, though, since I live in south Florida and I drive it maybe 100 miles a month (when it's not parked waiting for another new transmission), that really would last a while. :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online