Increase power

Traz

Hey guys just wondering if there's any bolt on power for the 4200. I'm already working on a turbo kit but wondering if there is anything else out there. From what I've gathered online the aftermarket support for it is minimal but some people have found some things. Anything helps. Thanks

Since they came out years ago we been waiting for some dyno to justify a header...either no tune to header/no tune or tuned before and after header. Seems to only be stock vs header with tune is available.

I_Shoot_Back

Stock headers might not be restrictive but a well designed header creates a negative pressure in the collector for the next pipe's exhaust.
I'm also very curious to hear about a let's say: cat delete,header,open intake and a tune and see how much it opens the engine up.
*edited from might not look restrictive to might not be restrictive*

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Supporter
The stock exhaust system is said to not be very restrictive.
I'd tend to agree with that (at least until it hits my muffler - that thing is so huge, I can't believe it wouldn't be restrictive in some fashion.)
When I go, I'm going to specify in my will that it serve as my casket...LOL

I was going to say there wasn't much in the way of catback support - but doing a quick search just now, it's more than 'nothing'. Even the I6 has some support (no clue on how well it works / bang for buck, since it looks to have a glasspack for a muffler)

The only exhaust gains to really be had are going to the later model exhaust manifold from the early style. I believe the switch was 06 though so you're covered. Worth a couple IIRC... Turbo or stroker is the way to go granted I have never seen a stroker 4200 that I know of.
I'd tend to agree with that (at least until it hits my muffler - that thing is so huge, I can't believe it wouldn't be restrictive in some fashion.)
When I go, I'm going to specify in my will that it serve as my casket...LOL

I was going to say there wasn't much in the way of catback support - but doing a quick search just now, it's more than 'nothing'. Even the I6 has some support (no clue on how well it works / bang for buck, since it looks to have a glasspack for a muffler)
The big muffler isn't restrictive, Since the air space is so large it almost acts like it is dumping out the tail pipe. It is pretty much a double straight through tube though so it really won't present much if any restriction anyway. From tailpipe to manifold if you can pick up 10 horsepower by making it free flowing I'd be impressed. I suspect any performance increase would be in the fact that you removed about 50 lbs from the truck lol. It doesn't make enough power to be that restrictive. Add 100 hp to it then I'd say there are gains to be had.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Supporter
Well, as it turns out, I *do* have a plan for I/H/E - I've got the TBSS intake in hand, and headers on the way. Last is a mild cam / lifters.
I might be closer to (but still not 'at') +100hp when all is finally done. Maybe port the heads a bit, as well.

Always wanted to have a blower set up - but now I'm starting to seriously think about turbo. That's next year, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom