In dash dvd/Navigation question!!

dagher

Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
i own a gmc envoy 2002 , ill update my profile later tonight !!

So currently Im in state of deciding between 2 In dash systems that are in my budget range.
The first is Pioneer AVH-P3400BH which i know that it doesn't have gps/navigation system

While the second is the Lanzar SNV65I3D 6.5-Inch which has the gps/navigation system on it

I know that the pioneer fits in my 02 envoy slt for sure, but no clue abt the lanzar.

Any ideas or advice on which one i should go for ? and ofc you have any Recommendation !! please let me know
P.S: i own an android phone so the app mode is useless for me !!

Thank you

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Spend the extra money on something. Lanzar is what is usually referred to as a flea market brand. As for GPS I have always liked stand alone units, over all in one with the head unit. Easier to work with, can swap from car to car, and they are dirt cheap these days.

If you are on a budget check out Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers, good pricing and they are very helpful if needed. Also look into other options, think about everything you want out of this unit as it is a somewhat major purchase. Look into some of the Sony items, Alpine, even other Pioneer ones.

I recently installed a Sony XAV-62bt in my truck after my Panasonic was stolen. The Sony was half the price, had more features and is an overall more pleasant deck to use. The Panasonic was very nice but it lacked alot and needed add ons.

Remember you get what you pay for. Alot of the cheaper brands are actually the same units with different labels. They can have skiddish touch screens, bad GPS reception, terrible resolution, cheap built in amplifiers and can sometimes just sound terrible.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
dagher said:
The first is Pioneer AVH-P3400BH which i know that it doesn't have gps/navigation system

Yes and no. It doesn't come with GPS standard, but you can add theAVIC-U220 navigation module after you save up some money. I was looking at this one for the wife's car, she's jealous of my JVC. You can get one close to $300 if you use Google shopping:

Pioneer AVH-P3400BH - 5.8" Widescreen In-Dash Video Receiver

blazinlow89 said:
Lanzar is what is usually referred to as a flea market brand.

I agree, you don't want to be the guinea pig for some unknown brand.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Dad-O-Matic said:
I agree, you don't want to be the guinea pig for some unknown brand.

OH, they are known. Their reputation falls in line with Pyle, Pyramid, Legacy, Boss etc, etc, etc. The list goes on, and its not good.

Don't get me wrong the stuff does work, the question is how long, are you getting clean power or dirty power. How much distortion does your amp create, or your sub put out etc.

I would recommend for anyone looking to get into car audio check out Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers. A ton of knowledge can be gained from just skimming through the site. As always ask questions.

dagher

Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I just want to thank both of you for your help, i was going to go with the chinese brands just because of the gps add on, but since you said they're not really good/ no one knows how long they will last, ill end up deciding between the pioneer or Sony ( both which i decided to go for first then after skimming through forums i saw the chinese stuff made me confused).

My second question is , for a guy like me who never installed an in dash system before, will be hard to install it myself ? For example connecting the steering wheel controls to work with the system, or its simply removing the pin connected to the built in radio and plugging it in to the new one ?

Thanks again for the help - Dagher

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
dagher said:
for a guy like me who never installed an in dash system before, will be hard to install it myself ? For example connecting the steering wheel controls to work with the system, or its simply removing the pin connected to the built in radio and plugging it in to the new one ?

That opens up a whole new can of worms :yes:.

The physical installation of the head unit (HU) isn't too bad. I had to do some cutting of the plastic behind the dash because the HU was longer than the OEM, but other than that it was pretty easy.
The question is whether or not you want to retain your chimes, Onstar, RAP, RSE and other things that GM so nicely bundled into the databus connection:hissyfit:. If so, you have to buy an adapter from PAC, Metra/Access or Schosche. These work pretty well, everyone has they're personal preference but they are pricey, any where from $75 and up. I used the Metra/Access GMOS adapter and ASWC steering wheel adapter because the ASWC plugs right into the GMOS and eliminates some wiring.

Then it's just a matter of connecting the right wires and plugging in the harness. Solder the wires if you have the basic skills, I try to avoid the quick-connects as much as possible.

You can eliminate the GMOS adapter if you want and wire it up like a conventional radio. Several people have done it, but as I said you'll lose all the GM gimmicks that require a connection to the databus, plus you may have to run wires to your speakers, amp etc. It's not plug-n-play.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Dont forget the mounting kit too, and antenna adapter.

It is pretty easy, the radio has a wiring guide and whatever harness you decide on will have it. JUst wire everything to the corresponding wire from each harness. Solder, shrink tube and zip tie fro a clean install.

dagher

Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
So just to get things straight and order all the required parts before i start working on it :
For the In dash unit i need :
1) What i choose is the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH checked on crutchfield it fits in my car.
2) Antenna adapter.
3)Harness kit

I get all if these together if i bought it from crutchfield if not i need to buy them separately.
Next step is I know that i have regular radio system no bose and with onstar which i dont need, that means there is no need for me to buy the GMOS.

Another thing im installing is the HID lights,
1)Im ordering this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF39ZY/?tag=gmtnation-20.
2) Plus im buying the Bosch Type Relay so i can disable the DRL .

Am i missing anything for these installation ?

Thanks for your help - Dagher

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Crutchfield will not give you the GMOS adapters required for different features. It is additional to the cost. They will include the vehicle specific mounting kit, and antenna adapter. As will Sonic Electronix, SE is generally cheaper as well. They also include the cheap harness if you need a more expensive one, then they will knock the 12.99 or whatever it is for the cheap harness off of the more expensive one.

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH 7" LCD USB/DVD/MP3 Car Receiver w/ Bluetooth

vs

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

I will vouch for Sonicelectronix.com, they have gone above and beyond for me and people that I recommended them to.

I just seen that you only want the standard harness. I am not sure what deleting the on start portion can do. I would research further if I was you.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Me, personally, am a fan of Factory Nav systems. They can be had very reasonable, in most cases, with the only catch being a need for a trip to the dealer for the VIN recodeing. But this also means that you dont have to buy a Onstar Module (you being a 02, not a big deal), a door dinger module, and wiring harness adaptors.

dagher

Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
So after doing alot of research and with the help of you guys i placed the order and found alot of guides/pictures to help me with the installation.
I ordered all of these :
Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black)
Metra 99-2003 Installation Multi-Kit for 1992-up GM/Suzuki Vehicles
Metra 70-1858 Radio Wiring Harness For GM 88-05 Harness
Pioneer AVH-P3400BH 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 5.8" Widescreen Touch Panel Display, Built-In Bluetooth®, and HD Radio
Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Premium Ballasts - 9006 (HB4) - 8000k
Absolute RLS125 12-VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A
Waterproof Car Rear Vehicle Backup View Camera High-definition Cmos 170 Degree Viewing Angle E363
Metra 40-GM10 GM Antenna Adapter
Axxess GMOS-01 02-Up Onstar Harness Adapter with Chime
( I hope i didnt forget anyhting lol :confused:)

So i found some guides of how to remove the HU and install the new one, and im going to read the instructions that comes with each part.
The headlights with relay also found some stuff.

But my main concern which i couldn't find something with pictures/or enough details is how to install the rear camera, i know that i need to connect it to the rear light, but like how ? and how to run the wires from the back to the car to the HU without making it visible , and keeping it clean.

Thanks - Dagher

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online