In and out rear wheel play

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I started hearing a click while driving over bumps tonight, on my way home. I jacked it up and I have about a 1/4inch of play in and out (pushing and pulling the entire rear wheels). Top/bottom, left/right play does not exist). The sway bar links look good. I forgot to spin the wheel for noise.

At this point I'm headed to barn tomorrow to replace the rear bearings and seals.

What are the chances that I'm dealing with a rear differential issue or are the wheel bearings more likely the issue?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
For in and out play why would you replace bearings and seals?

I did the rear seals on the Voy 2yrs ago but it was leaking on both sides at the time and while I had it apart swapped in new bearings.

I'd be looking for wear on the inside of the pumpkin by the C clips that hold the axles in place. From what I remember last I think I get about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch of play in and out. So it may be normal.

Reactions: Redbeard

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
I'm just trying to get through a month without having to fix this vehicle or it dieing, lol.

I'm changing the diff fluid when I change the bearings.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sounds like normal play.

Reactions: Redbeard

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
I'm going to replace the bearings and seals. I was going to change the rear diff oil anyway next week, so I'll just do it this weekend and pull the cover to look at the C clip spacing. Thanks guys!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Do you have the G80?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
You may want to have a look at this thread with regard to the G86 ..

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
You may want to have a look at this thread with regard to the G86 ..
Thanks TJBaker. I bought the acdelco 10-4016 oil along with the LS additive bottle.
Genuine GM Fluid (88900401) 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant - 1 Quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BK7LXGM/?tag=gmtnation-20
Is this the older oil that does require the LS additive, or do I have the wrong oil all together?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looks like the right stuff and it needs the additive. Also smells like grapes!

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
It's going to be a wonderful morning/afternoon! Orange juice and grape oil. :2thumbsup:

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
It was a fun filled weekend of working on the 97x and my GF's Rendezvous. :bonk:
In what was supposed to have been a Friday night working on her bearing (which died the same day mine did) turned into a two day adventure. Her alternator died as she pulled into the driveway, thank god!

I can't believe that the diff cover seal was almost $30 more than the trailblazer's seal. Anyway, I attached a few pics. Of of the diff before I wiped all the crap off of the gears and after. Is that amount of black gunk normal? It makes me think that the fluid was never changed and I have about 160,000 miles on it. The oil that came out was pure black, NOT dark brown. Is it okay to spray any cleaners in the diff to clean some of that out? I was worried I would damage some seal or something in there.

I did replace the seals and bearing on both sides, I didn't even know they were leaking. It had to have been a slow leak as it was not wet, but there was definitely black "soot" around the seals on both sides. The clicking over bumps is gone though, so that did in fact fix the issue!

I noticed that there was a second bearing behind the first one. Should I have replaced that one as well? Does that one normally go bad? I was going to replace it, but I couldn't see the back side of it and left it alone. I wasn't sure how to remove it, without being able to get a puller behind it. It could have just been so black from grime that I couldn't see it. I plan on changing that oil again in the summer because it was so black.

Attachments

• Diff Before.jpg
    Diff Before.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Diff After.jpg
    Diff After.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 11

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What you likely saw behind the bearing is the reluctor ring for the ABS sensor. It just stays in there and spins with the axle.

If it was neglected that long, yeah, it's normal to see black shmoo like that. If you used brake cleaner, hopefully you didn't destroy the pinion seal.

• Love
Reactions: 808

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
What you likely saw behind the bearing is the reluctor ring for the ABS sensor. It just stays in there and spins with the axle.

If it was neglected that long, yeah, it's normal to see black shmoo like that. If you used brake cleaner, hopefully you didn't destroy the pinion seal.

Ah ok, I figured it was the wheel speed sensor, since there's that wire/sensor connected to the axle right there.

I did not use any cleaner at all. I put it in neutral and just wiped everything down that I could. I'm very new to the internals of a differential... I play it safe, until I know enough to roll the dice. :goodevil:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.