I'll be shockjed if anyone can answer this for me? Rear Hatch won't open '06 Envoy SLT

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hi. So here;s my latest dilemma. I went to drop the spare tire today and my rear hatch won't open. It unlocks but lifting the handle doesn't release the latch from the striker.

Please note, it's not that I just need to pop the covered hole on the lift-gate panel and use a screw driver to manually open the lift gate. I am far beyond that and it doesn't address the problem.

I have the rear panel off. I can see everything. Unlocking does unlock the actuator for both the glass and the lift gate.

Glass opens and closes fine and locks actuate both manually and electronically with FOB or door lock buttons. The problem is that when I move the lever on the actuator that normally pops the gate open, it doesn't do anything. My diagnosis is that something inside the actuator is broken so that when you move the lever, it's not moving or turning what it needs to inside the actuator.

I'm posting here on the off chance that someone has a sneaky way to get it open with a broken actuator? I'm fairly sure drilling out the 3 rivets on the top of the actuator will allow me to open it and see what's broken. Hopefully i can then 3D print the broken gear or whatever.

btw... There was tons of corrosion on everything from the striker to the levers, rods etc etc. For a few months it wouldn't latch. I'm guessing it broke the last time I slammed it and tried to get it to latch. I was hoping I could sneak an air hacksaw or a cutting blade on my grinder in between the crack of the gate and body and maybe cut the striker out to open it as the striker is a lot cheaper than a new actuator but there's no way. Does anyone happen to have an good ideas on how to get it open? If I could drop the spare, I could cut the striker bolts from underneath and then just make or buy a new bottom plate but there's no way to get in there with the spare in. Thank You I will post pics of opened actuator in case someone else has this problem but this kind of stuff usually only happens to me. Mister Lucky! Thank You!

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I went through this exact thing last year. Good news at least last year, that I was able to get the latch assembly from GM. There's a lot going on with the latch so I would recommend a new factory item if poss.

I will look for the pic to try to help you with what to try to move. I know I was in the back, with an inspection mirror, flashlight, couple screwdrivers, and was able to move the release linkage and was a pita.

I had my son outside lifting the handle so I could see what was happening, it's easy to find the linkage, just moving it was hard....and I wasn't going to cut a huge hole in the rear plastic.

I'll look for the pic.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I went through this exact thing last year. Good news at least last year, that I was able to get the latch assembly from GM. There's a lot going on with the latch so I would recommend a new factory item if poss.

I will look for the pic to try to help you with what to try to move. I know I was in the back, with an inspection mirror, flashlight, couple screwdrivers, and was able to move the release linkage and was a pita.

I had my son outside lifting the handle so I could see what was happening, it's easy to find the linkage, just moving it was hard....and I wasn't going to cut a huge hole in the rear plastic.

I'll look for the pic.
Awesome Thanks Very much! I appreciate it.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sorry for the delay.

Here is what I did to open the liftgate, I also just tried it again to make sure it works.

Looking into the access hole, find this piece with the red outline

Screenshot_20200131-161552_Gallery.jpg

Using a acrewdriver or prybar, move it to the left...or towards the passenger side.

Screenshot_20200131-161640_Gallery.jpg

You may need a 2nd person to push on the liftgate, also, it did take a bit of force to move that arm....on my broken part anyway.

If that doesn't work, let me know.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Thank You for the information. I just ended up destroying the latch mechanism to where I could get to the part that latches onto the striker and then pried it over to unlatch it. I am installing the replacement tonight. I just went through and cleaned and plated the latch and any other parts associated with it. I've been through this several times with the rear latch, but this time was the worst as it left me not being able to open the lift-gate at all.

I really hope that with the new latch mechanism, plating the striker and other parts in nickel t resist rusting will keep this thing from giving me problems in the future. At least for a few years.

I've also had to remove 3 of the 4 door mechanisms and clean them and remove the rust etc. One of the doors I've had to do 3 times. It just keeps getting gummed up and rusted and the result is that I cannot latch the door and end of having to run a ratchet strap for the opposite side of the car to keep the door closed.

Thanks again for posting!!!

Reactions: JerryIrons

Trlblzrls

Jan 13, 2022
Missouri
I’m glad I checked this out, I’m having the same problem except the glass won’t open. I did get a verified working one from the salvage yard. Will have to try and get it open when I get home-time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online