Ignition Switch

cmarchel

Original poster
May 25, 2012
Well for the second time, I have needed a new ignition switch. So this time while it was out, I was playing with it, and realized I can start the car just by turning the gear. No keys necessary... Is that normal? Seems a little cheap in the engineering department if you ask me. Especially when A) My Envoy has no alarm. B) I know how to enter the vehicle with no keys. So is that normal; or is something not right? I know that the vehicle had a remote start system installed before I owned it, but as far as I know all of the extra stuff has been removed. Is there something I missed?

Thanks in advance!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
We don't have a traditional steering wheel lock, so you can turn the wheel without the physical key in the ignition, BUT there is a "Passlock" system in the cylinder mechanism that should prevent starting (or driving off even if it starts). Try putting it in gear and driving off using just the electrical system. Perhaps the previous remote start system's passlock bypass adapter is still in there?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
cmarchel said:
Well for the second time, I have needed a new ignition switch. So this time while it was out, I was playing with it, and realized I can start the car just by turning the gear. No keys necessary... Is that normal? Seems a little cheap in the engineering department if you ask me. Especially when A) My Envoy has no alarm. B) I know how to enter the vehicle with no keys. So is that normal; or is something not right? I know that the vehicle had a remote start system installed before I owned it, but as far as I know all of the extra stuff has been removed. Is there something I missed?

Thanks in advance!

That is probably why there are so many GMC/CHEV being stolen around here. I'm an active police scanner listener and it always seems to be the GM Sierra, Silverado, Yukon, Tahoes and even a Cadillac from my dealers lot. Probably about 15 of them a month. I think they keep coming because the police wont engage in a pursuit. It's said most of them go to an indian reservation close to hear and get stripped. I remember one Saturday morning there was 5 within about 30 min from various big box store parking lots around town. I asked the dealer about that and he said all they do is punch the ignition and once the cylinder turns they drive away with it. Probably takes less than a minute to get in and drive away. I've always been paranoid about that and always park mine in the garage.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
cmarchel said:
So is that normal; or is something not right?

No sir. I thought if passlock saw a problem, you'd get a no crank.

the roadie said:
Perhaps the previous remote start system's passlock bypass adapter is still in there?

That's where I'd be looking.:yes:

See if anything is tied into the purple wire of the OBD2 port under the dash. Or, in case they beat passlock the old fashioned way, check the small gauge wiring from the cylinder to the big connector under the dash for anything that doesn't look quite right.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher