ignition switch help

chatham

Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
replacing my ignition switch and I got the gearing off. I have tried to move the gear in the switch several times trying to find the sweet spot but I cant find it. my son moved the gear on the old switch so I cant compare it to that one. so far every position I have tried wont allow the key to be removed. I have to hit the release button to move the key and remove it. any suggestions.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
As far as I know, all you can do is move the gears one click at a time and keep trying until you get it right. I don't know what part of FL you're in, but if you were local, I'd volunteer my switch to compare side by side with.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Only about an hour away! LOL Road trip! :cool:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:biggrin: Almost local. We may have a new recruit for our mini meets thread. :yes:

Best I can offer, today, is a quick run and check on my truck. On my switch, the 4th tooth from the large gap, is in the most vertical position. Hope that helps some.

chatham

Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
when I play with the switch you can tell where the "switch" points are i.e. acc, on and the start position. so the area to move the teeth to line them up is actually quite small. if I have the teeth in the "correct" area I can move the ignition switch fine just cant move back to the neutral area and remove the key. no matter how I move the teeth in this small area of adjustment I just cant get it right. do I by chance need power to the switch? I have the battery disconnected.

- - - Updated - - -

ok ill try the fourth tooth position. thanks

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:duh: I should have mentioned that. If there's no power, the key cylinder does not release it. Once you hook your battery back up, it should be fine.

chatham

Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
hmmm I must still have the teeth on the gear off. the battery is draining over night. I must not be getting the switch all the way to the off position. is there a way to test the switch with a meter to make sure that it is off?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Here's my classic chart posted a few dozen times (found in a search for "ignition switch red pink" because I know what colors are involved) :wink:

RED on the ignition switch is 12V, fused by underhood fuse #34, and feeds the following three circuits:

White is hot in ACCY, RUN, START
Orange is hot in RUN
Yellow is hot in START

RED/WHITE is another 12V, fused by underhood fuse #36, and feeds two circuits:

Brown is hot in ACCY, RUN
Pink is hot in RUN, START

chatham

Original poster
Feb 19, 2014
thanks Roadie exactly what I needed. sure enough the wht wire was hot in the off position with the key pulled out. turned the gear to the right just a bit and it shut off power to the wht wire in the off position.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.