Ignition switch connector/plug

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Hello,

I've been trying to find a connector for the ignition switch but to no avail.

Does anyone know the name or number of that connector, or maybe even have a link?

I'm thinking to make a T harness for the ignition switch and use that to connect the alarm system that I want, instead of splicing in the factory wires.

I've been looking all over the service manuals to try and find a pinout diagram (which usually gives the name of the connector) but to no avail.

Do you guys think there is a male and female connectors available in the market?

I sure can't find much!

Regards,
H4L

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The pinout should be in the manual (link in my signature) or just go by the wire colour from the schematics.

As far as trying to find male connectors for it, that could be a tall order, if not impossible as that female connector is specific to the ignition switch male part itself. A female connector is possible to find, or at worse, cut one out from a junker, but a male is likely impossible.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
I only need the pinout because it usually states name of connector. Do you happen to know in which PDF is it? I can't seem to find it!

I think you meant the opposite, as the female is the one that's built into the switch. And yeah, I figured the male could be cut from junkyard.

I think I might be able to salvage an old ignition switch and turn it into a connector and seal it with heat shrink and electrical tape or something like that :undecided:. It would most definitely be frankensteined up to say the least :worried:

It would be nice to first know for syre whether one exists or not

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Male and female designation of connectors is according to the pins, not the plastic connector itself. The pins are in the switch so the connector is female :smile:

Off hand, I don't know where the pinout would be or if they actually are in there so you might have to go by wire colour. I know that @MRRSM has quite a few of them. He should chime in.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Hmm, learn something new everyday! :tongue:

I have always referred to male and female based on the plastic, and not the pins themselves. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

I don't really need to know which wire is which, I just wanted to check it because it might indicate what connector is used.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Check out this Link and these attached images for what you need. Your profile does not include the YOM (Year Of Manufacture) of your Vehicle… But I doubt there will be any differences for the Late Model Trailblazers and Envoys. Double check how you input your Vehicle Data at GMPARTSDIRECT to to be sure.

You can use the Part Number(s) shown in the attached Screen Print to search around for any related Wire Harness Coil and Connector Pin-Out Position Diagrams ...but before poking around inside the Steering Column... Beware the SIRS-Airbag and Disable that System completely before doing any "Snipping & Soldering".

If it comes down to cases and you have to replace the entire harness, due to the presence of a Steering Column Clock-Spring Mechanism in BOTH of these Harnesses… they (either one or both) will be ridiculously expensive to purchase...and GREAT CAUTION will have to be followed for the Removal of the Air Bag and Steering Wheel for a Complete Harness R&R... FUBAR This thing... and it can Kill You:

2004TBIGNITIONHARNESS.jpg

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-...-gas-engine/electrical-cat/ignition-lock-scat

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
I appreciate the information you provided, but I believe there is a misunderstanding as I'm looking to get the connector only for the ignition switch in attempt to make a T-harness to add a remote start system instead of splicing into the original wires.

I need a male and female connectors to make my T-harness

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
You probably will need to pull the harness connector on the switch and look at the connector body of the harness for any identifying numbering or otherwise. From there, you might be able to "pair a supply / supplier)... I doubt that most "gm service docs" would give much outside of the harness unless the connectors are "normal replacement" items. In this case, I doubt it.

Further, IF this "problem" was so "easy" to over come with a connector supplier being readily available, wouldn't you think that the "remote start" manufacturers / 3rd party guys would have already provided the "t" type cabling to make installs "easy".... much like the radio interfaces out there.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
that looks like a possible route.... potentially just release the appropriate connector pins in the harness and make up your "T" with the appropriate "crimp ends" to be replaced in the connector and join with the removed harness wiring / pins / spades.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Have you looked into something like this system? This one seems to be purpose designed for the 2002-2009 GM and GMC Vehicles:

Negative, this one still requires splicing into the harness.

...look at the connector body of the harness for any identifying numbering or otherwise. From there, you might be able to "pair a supply / supplier)...

Hmm, I don't ever recall finding such information on connectors. Will have to double check when I travel back home.

Further, IF this "problem" was so "easy" to over come with a connector supplier being readily available, wouldn't you think that the "remote start" manufacturers / 3rd party guys would have already provided the "t" type cabling to make installs "easy".... much like the radio interfaces out there.

I already have that in mind, but since I saw that there are T harnesses readily available for other makes and models, thought I'd try to make one for myself.

Just as a side note, this is something that I don't need to do. I'm more than confident to splice into the factory harness (seems like the only option). Just thought it might be possible to do, and gathering information here and there.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In regards to the MPC Model 0770 I referred to in the above suggestion that is specific to GM and GMC 2002-2009 Vehicles... I was poking around looking for their MPC (My Push Cart) Installation Guide PDFs...and this Link from them to a Youtube Video showed up. It might be worth downloading and keeping this handy for later if you decide to proceed with doing the same work on your vehicle. It never hurts to see what others are doing first hand...especially when it comes "Straight from The Horse's Mouth":

Reactions: Hobbyist4Life

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Negative, this one still requires splicing into the harness.

Hmm, I don't ever recall finding such information on connectors. Will have to double check when I travel back home.

I already have that in mind, but since I saw that there are T harnesses readily available for other makes and models, thought I'd try to make one for myself.

Just as a side note, this is something that I don't need to do. I'm more than confident to splice into the factory harness (seems like the only option). Just thought it might be possible to do, and gathering information here and there.
I think you got me wrong.... I actually hate "cutting into factory".... hence I like / agree with your "idea".... all I am suggesting instead of cutting or even wasting time looking for the "other plug".... just pull the wire / pin on the existing harness plug.... it is some form of pin. Buy the corresponding pin hopefully in a form of a crimp pin and make your "t" with the two type of crimp connectors (ie. male and female... spade if you should be so lucky... but there is a "world of plug pins"). This then allows you to "repin" the existing harness with your "t" cable. Thus if you want to go back to factory... just pull the harness, release the pin for the "t" and disconnect the other end. Push back the old harness pin back into the connector and you are back to factory.

Of course this is assuming the connector has that type of "pin release" that gm (and others) uses in a lot of their connectors.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I think you got me wrong.... I actually hate "cutting into factory".... hence I like / agree with your "idea".... all I am suggesting instead of cutting or even wasting time looking for the "other plug".... just pull the wire / pin on the existing harness plug.... it is some form of pin. Buy the corresponding pin hopefully in a form of a crimp pin and make your "t" with the two type of crimp connectors (ie. male and female). This then allows you to "repin" the existing harness with your "t" cable. Thus if you want to go back to factory... just pull the harness, release the pin for the "t" and disconnect the other end. Push back the old harness pin back into the connector and you are back to factory.

Of course this is assuming the connector has that type of "pin release" that gm (and others) uses in a lot of their connectors.

:goodpost: That's a pretty crafty idea. Usually you can use a pick tool to get in there and release the tabs, and not have to buy the special terminal release tools.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
@MRRSM I have seen multiple installation videos, that's why I'm not looking into that part of the process. However, I will definitely check this video later. I'm a little busy with the 3 final exams remaining.

@budwich yeah, I definitely misunderstood you. I actually thought about removing the pins, but it just didn't cross my mind that other plastic housing could use same pin. I will definitely look into it.

I'll travel back home after 2 weeks and will check it then.

Appreciate the input everyone is providing.

Reactions: mrrsm

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
the pins inside the harness connector and the ignition switch have to be some form of "male / female" type "pinning" at the "physical level"... one is inset in the body of the ignition switch, the other in the body of the harness connector. The pin in the ignition switch is probably not removable.... it is likely "findable" (as a pair) once you see / get at the pin in the harness connector. GM and others, usually have releaseable pins in their connectors for repair or otherwise as making a connector with pins manufacturer directly in the connector including wires is pretty tough. If you are lucky, the pin "pair" is some form of spade pairing.... if not, as mentioned there are lots of connectors pairs in the world, you just need to locate the ones used in the connector... probably very limited in number types. Anyway, good luck, hope you find something readily.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Yes, I am familiar with connectors and male/female pins. I've repinned a couple of connectors myself before so that shouldn't be a problem.

I will only know for sure after 2 weeks, when I finally get the chance to see my car again.

I will keep you guys updated.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Update: Since I don't have access to my car, my brain was determined to see both ends of the ignition switch connect through online resources, and these are my findings:

_20190515_012149.JPG 26086160-3.jpg

Basically these are both ends. Surprisingly, a clear picture of both proved to be difficult to find. The picture of the harness connector is taken from a different car (03-04 Chevy express, which I've never heard off. Link to harness with more pics) but it seems like it perfectly matches out ignition switch.

My conclusion is that the pins on the harness side seem to be removable. If someone is familiar with these pins and already knows what I need, please chime in. I already have a set of these connectors readily available at home, but I don't think they are the right ones since they seem to be used for smaller AWG wires .Again, won't be able to check if it fits until I go back.

I will be doing further research within the coming days.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I was poking around in GMSI and found a part number for the socket, but I couldn't find any matches to it on the internet. :frown:

I have this site bookmarked for looking up AC Delco pigtails/sockets, figured I'd share this for other's future reference. (couldn't find a match here either :compu-punch: )

Attachments

• Ignition Switch Connector End View.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 7

Sneakycyber

Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
As you may have found already there are no aftermarket (that I found previously) T-Harness available for our platform. I had to splice into my harness for my system. I can tell you the 2014 Malibu does have a T-harness 😁

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
what is a terminal / tray repair kit referenced in the attachment?

I looked around for it, but it never specified what the contents of said kit were, or a part number so I could search it externally. :sadcry:

Aaramill

Dec 19, 2014
check our the tb en envoy installs on the12volt. People have figured out a number of creative ways to wire remote starts & things. Don’t forget to use diodes & relays—especially look at what the dual pole relays can do

I use programmable interfaces that go into the obd2 slot nowadays. So much easier to use certain systems that the trucks allready have for things like door locks.

My first install required attaching a ground through a certain resistor to the unlock wires to make it work: that one took me a min.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
UPDATE!!

I got some good, and bad news.

I guess I'll start with the good news first as that's what we all want to hear!

I'd like to happily report that a T-harness for the ignition switch DOES exist! :woohoo: It goes by the name of GM12 T-harness. I have attached a couple of pictures for it. There also seems to be another harness that connects to the other side of the ignition switch harness, it's called GM9 T-harness, but I'm not 100% sure about this one though.

And now, for the bad news!

Unfortunately, I can't find the GM12 T-harness for sale or in stock anywhere! :Banghead::Banghead: There are other harnesses that go by the same name, but I can't determine for sure if it's the same due to lack of pictures.

I'd be grateful if someone finds me a link!

Attachments

• gm12.jpg
    gm12.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 4
  • GM-12.jpeg
    GM-12.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Nice find. I didn't have any better luck than you did tracking it down. Either unclear pics, or no pics is most ads I found. I guess, you could try ordering one, and returning it if it won't work?

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
I wish I could do that!

It's too much of a hassle to order one and test it because it will be too much of a hassle to ship from Qatar for returns. It would turn expensive really quickly with lots of delays.

It would be nice if someone buys one and tell us how it goes.

Hobbyist4Life

Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Qatar
Still not even closed to obtaining that GM-12 T-harness. However, it seems like the manufacturer is JBS Technologies. It also seems like, based on keepa, it was last in stock in Amazon on March 4th 2013!!!

After some further research, it seems like JBS technologies is short for J? Bulldog Security

So far, it seems like I have limited options. And they are as follows:

Option 1: Contact MPC to try and get the attached harness separately. This harness is part of a plug 'n' play remote start kit for 03-06 Silverado's. I have checked and it seems like it's the same connector and they're providing both male and female in the harness. Link for the kit.

Option 2: Buy the T-harness for the other side of the ignition harness, which has a lot more connections (inc. horn and others) and I found it available in 2 listings on eBay. However, they don't chip to Qatar :bonk: They're not listed as compatible with the Trailblazer, and each one says it's compatible for specific models, but it looks like it's the same connector. This is the GM-5 T-harness, and it seems to be from the same manufacturer of the GM-12. Picture is attached.

Oh, one last thing. The GM-5 T-harness looks exactly the same as GM-9 (which is said to fit the Trailblazers), but it says it's not compatible with the Trailblazers. I believe it's just the wires that were tapped into that don't match, which is nothing that can't be fixed by re-pinning.

Attachments

• 41m5Gg40R-L.jpg
    41m5Gg40R-L.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    153 KB · Views: 4

Forum Statistics

Threads