Ignition Power for Air Compressor

wstuckey1

Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
I'm rigging up an air compressor for my air horn install and I need to rig up a relay to supply power to the compressor because I don't want anymore parasitic draw. What would be an easy power line to tap off of to go to the relay so my compressor will receive power with ignition?

On a side note, I hope to finish the install tomorrow so I will post a thread with pics when done.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
When I ran LED eyebrows as DRLs, I tapped into fuse 22 in the front block. :twocents:

wstuckey1

Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
I saw a fuse tap today. Does that supply power? And does 22 come on with ignition and what is it supposed to be?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I used an add-a-fuse, that way the signal to trigger the relay was fused, and the original circuit was also fused separately.

I did blow that circuit once, before I went with the add-a-fuse, and I lost the tachometer.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
As suggested, use a "add-a fuse" unit. That way you are only "stessing" the wiring which unless you are talking large amp draws, won't be an issue. Get a meter, and check a few fuses to see if they are "powered" with key ON... use the guide on the box to pick some of the "notable ones". Once you find one, use the "add-a-fuse" to insert it into the existing fuse spot. Put the existing fuse in the "add-a-fuse" and then add your new fuse to the "additional slot". Make sure you get the "right type" of "add-a-fuse".

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You could also run your power from the stud that you would use for the infamous red wire.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online