ignition key security

niceguypmp3

Original poster
Oct 31, 2020
iowa
I can't seem to find the answer on here but do the '03 trailblazers have a chipped ignition key? they key blanks on amazon that are a match for it say they do not have a chip in them. I only have one key for it and would like to have a 2nd one.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
No, none of the TB keys have chips in them.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
None of the GMT360's got a chip, except the redheaded stepchild Saab 9-7x. Just head to Lowes or Home Depot or Wal-Mart, and get a key copy. Nothing special is needed.

QuirkyAero

Jun 22, 2020
Seattle, WA
Timely! I have a reddheaded stepchild with some key and fob issues. 2008 9-7x.
PO had a well used primary key, and a new aftermarket key that had never been paired but was cut.

I set up both keys when I bought the car, and as far as I recall, both worked for lock/unlock/start. Well used key is my daily key, New key went into spare key box.

Many months later, the well user key fob was getting harder and harder to use for lock and unlock. I changed the battery, and the lock/unlock distance seems greater, but the buttons still need to be mashed. But now that key will not start the car. Huh?

Grabbed the new key, it starts the car, but will not lock/unlock.

I reprogrammed the two fobs, now both lock/unlock, new key starts, but well used key does not start the car.

Am I missing some sort of pairing on Teck2? Or is this getting on to being a dead key?

I am now in the market for another key and fob. Anyone have suggestions of where to look?

Thanks,

Bernard

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Check with @m.mcmillen ...He recently obtained a Key Cutting Machine for his Work Site... Perhaps he can sort things out for you.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Was the new key one of those that can have the chip info copied from an old key? Or was it an OEM type key with the FOB molded to it? If the latter, was there a small glass chip visible in there? Is your security light on or flashing?

QuirkyAero

Jun 22, 2020
Seattle, WA
Just to be clear:
old key: Lock/Unlock
new key: Lock/Unlock/Start

old key looks like an original key with inset Saab logo on back with GM and FCC numbers.

new key is definitely aftermarket, but has FOB molded to key. No numbers, no logo.

When I try and start with the old key, the security light is on continuously.

I see no glass chip in the old key. Looked in the new key...

So before I sat down to answer you, I grabbed some garbage from the foot stool, and dropped a piece of paper onto the carpet. As I pick up the piece of paper I notice a pill on the floor. I pick it up, look at it ??? and set it aside for later.

So I open the new key and see a similar glass pill in its own molded compartment next to the battery. Ah Ha! Sheesh! I had no idea that must have dropped out when I opened the case on the old key. All better now, old key is once again: Lock/Unlock/Start.

Thank you!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, I was headed that way. My son, wanting to be a nice guy, replaced the battery in my original fob but lost that chip/pill and the truck wouldn't start same as yours. At least you were lucky to find yours.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.