NEED HELP Ignition Coils

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
I was cleaning my engine bay and I notice that 2 coils were loose. I tried to snug the bolts down but they're both stripped. How can I fix this problem?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Tap and die come to mind but you'd have to be very careful about doing it, going up to a bigger bolt to hold the coils down.
2nd would be to get a new valve cover and gasket set while your there.

Reactions: mrrsm and Eric04

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Might need Helicoils because of the long bolts these use. Might not be possible to find a next bigger size with the same length.

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
How thick is the valve cover in those spots? I thought of a Helicoil but I'm concerned about drilling all the way through. Looks like replacing the valve cover is a lot of work too.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What year is your truck? 02-05 bolts into the head deep into the plug well. Later years bolt into the valve cover.

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
QUOTE="Mooseman, post: 583441, member: 6163"]
What year is your truck? 02-05 bolts into the head deep into the plug well. Later years bolt into the valve cover.
[/QUOTE]

Mooseman, that's what I thought. Mine is an 03 and after doing more research, the coils do bolt into the head.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
+1 ---^--- @ Post#2 ...Courtesy @xavierny25 ...about getting a Brand New Set of Valve Cover Gaskets installed. The Kit includes (6) Small Inner "O" Ring Style Spark Plug Well Gaskets and (1) Outer Valve Cover Gasket.

... And the same Warnings apply here NOT to Exceed 87 INCH Pounds of Torque for those Perimeter Valve Cover Fasteners...

This "Thread" might be able to Help you to get out of the "Thread" Jam:

Last edited:

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
This Thread might be able to Help you out of this Jam:

Thanks MRRSM, I placed an order for the Time-Sert

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I have @hawkeye405 to Thank for bringing up this problem ...and calling my attention to the fact that I was actually MISSING the One, Indispensable Sub-Component in my otherwise complete GM Kent-Moore TIME-SERT Dealership Repair Kit: The "STI" (Screw Thread Insert) TAP @ M6 X 1.0 in Dimensions, Kent-Moore Part# KMJ42385-203. I did some poking around and discovered that this TAP can be ordered ( and I did so...) as a Separate Item and is presently available from autotoolworld.com. So now ... I have that Sub-Set completed and available for my Future Repairs:

IMG_2069.jpgIMG_2072.jpgIMG_2079.jpgIMG_2076.jpgIMG_2078.jpg

If the Complete $50.00 K&M Tool Kit for the M6 X 1.0 X 12 MM TIME-SERT Thread Repair is unavailable.... THIS Over-Sized M6 X 1.0 TAP is probably the MOST Critical Sub-Tool to have on hand. It has also been difficult to find the Special Sized Drill required to Drill Out the Old Remaining M6 X 1.0 X 15MM Stripped Out Thread Lines, as the OD of this Tool will have to be an OVER-SIZED ...with Metric Measurement of around 6.13 MM.

There MAY be an SAE Equivalent Sized Drill Bit that can SLIGHTLY enlarge the (6) Coil On Plug Fastener Holes in the Engine Head... and yet, still leave enough 'meat' for this Special "STI" TAP to cut in Brand New Threads and allow the M6 X 1.0 X 12 MM TIME-SERT Insert to easily Thread inside. I like using WD-40 to Lubricate Hard Steel Bits when cutting Threads into any Aluminum Substrate. Turn the TAP Slowly at a Right Angle to the Engine Head. Clean the Drill Hole Frequently using "canned air" to flush out and catch the "sprue" into a Scott's "BLUE" Shop Towel held over the Work Area and prevent all of that Drilling Junk from getting all over and inside of the Open Engine Head.

You would still require some kind of "Router" Square Face Bit with an OD slight;y Larger than the OD of the TIME-SERT Insert Rim and having an ID of around 6.13 MM. This would allow for creating a Counter-Sunk area at the Top of the M6 X 1.0 X 15MM Bolt Holes sufficiently deep to allow the Rim of the TIME-SERT Insert to STOP its downward travel.

Next ...for the purposes of using a "Non-K&M Kit" Tool Substitute, selecting an ARP M6 X 1.0 X 40MM 10.9 Hardness Black Steel Bolt could act as the means of Holding the TIME-SERT Insert after lubricating the ARP Bolt Threads with Cutting Oil...and threading on the New TIME-SERT Threaded Cylinder to the ARP Bolt as far down as it will go.

Last in this sequence ...after Daubing on some Red Thread Locker...The ARP Bolt could be used to Thread the Insert into the Engine Head as far down as it will go...and use a Box End Wrench to Pass the ARP Bolt all the way through the Last Few Internal Threads of the Insert... Cold Forming them and Locking the Insert Permanently into place. You're Done!

For anyone else curious about the TIME-SERT Thread Repair System... This is the BEST Video available for explaining the Subject:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online