If you have a Trailvoy account, recruit a few noobs to GMTNation.com

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Now some of the emotion is winding down, and the nooberators seems to have gone to sleep, some tactful PMs to trailvoy noobs might be in order. Some members over there just don't care for drama or politics or even protesting the parasitical Vertical Scope business model. And some are too new to even know about the history, even as Vertical Scope admins tried to rewrite history.

But they should care about getting swift and accurate answers to help them SAVE MONEY on DIY repairs. That's what we offer here - an active community to help them care for their aging vehicles. Doing it for the love of the community and platform, and not just for advertising-fueled corporate greed.

In your own words, I recommend sending out a few PMs a day if you can. Not to overwhelm the noobs over there, who can't even get PMs until they post OUTSIDE the Introductions forum. But to give them a heads up about what I call the Great Exodus at the start of December.

I started back up after taking some time off, and you can probably guess when I got back into the game by this chart of the GMTNation new member stats. :wink:

View attachment 20177

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 67
Dec 4, 2011
Any suggestions on how to target these people. For instance those with a couple of dozen posts, member since say Mid 2011.

I still use the site a little (for instance how to replace seat heaters, today) so I would prefer not to get banned for another year or so. LOL. Made the switch early and have not regretted a minuet of it.

Yay Team.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Its easy to create shill accounts now. When all this was going down, the Mods had to verify everyone, now that they arnt around, its instant approval.

Dec 4, 2011
Me007gold said:
Its easy to create shill accounts now. When all this was going down, the Mods had to verify everyone, now that they arnt around, its instant approval.

Please explain in VERY simple language how to set up, and what is a SHILL account. I used to know more about computers, but I am now at an age where I am trying to forget, just want to be simple user.

Thanks

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
RedEnvoyDenal said:
Please explain in VERY simple language how to set up, and what is a SHILL account. I used to know more about computers, but I am now at an age where I am trying to forget, just want to be simple user.

Thanks

Step 1. Go to gmail or hotmail or yahoo and make an email account.
Step 2. Use said email account to start new account on trailvoy
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
RedEnvoyDenal said:
Any suggestions on how to target these people. For instance those with a couple of dozen posts, member since say Mid 2011.
Those ones are exactly a target market. Sometimes I look at their posting history. If they had a few posts in 2010 and pre-Dec 2012, and then a gap until now, they would have TOTALLY missed the drama and may have no idea. So introduce yourself, and mention that if they hadn't been on trailvoy much, but liked the sense of community spirit there was in earlier times, then they could find it again here at gmtnation. Or if their truck is aging and needing more maintenance, then they could benefit from accurate answers to their questions from folks who had been owners for 5-8 years and have done it themselves. And own the shop manuals. Rather than the few stay-behind goofs like loverotties and petevw who can only repeat what they read about US doing over the years.

Just don't PM the willfully clueless ones like the two mentioned above and some others with 500+ posts who are insanely and irrationally loyal to the old place. That will get you banned. Like peeing on a 1000V subway third-rail.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I have personally sent over 200 PM's on that site to all the noobs and those that I think aren't here and I only reached so many!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Those ones are exactly a target market. Sometimes I look at their posting history. If they had a few posts in 2010 and pre-Dec 2012, and then a gap until now, they would have TOTALLY missed the drama and may have no idea. So introduce yourself, and mention that if they hadn't been on trailvoy much, but liked the sense of community spirit there was in earlier times, then they could find it again here at gmtnation. Or if their truck is aging and needing more maintenance, then they could benefit from accurate answers to their questions from folks who had been owners for 5-8 years and have done it themselves. And own the shop manuals. Rather than the few stay-behind goofs like loverotties and petevw who can only repeat what they read about US doing over the years.

Just don't PM the willfully clueless ones like the two mentioned above and some others with 500+ posts who are insanely and irrationally loyal to the old place. That will get you banned. Like peeing on a 1000V subway third-rail.

Um, Roadie? Petevw is over here, just under a new username :wink:

Dec 4, 2011
Me007gold said:
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit

the roadie said:

Thank you gentlemen, this is exactly what I needed. I will try and do my part to recruit some new members. :thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
His presence here does not excuse his active participation there. If he was of any further use to Vertical Scope they would have made him a mod.

I didn't think we were judging others for being on both sites. Confused yes, but that's all :confused:

jayd1563

Nov 18, 2011
Roadie, some of the members over there are beyond help!.This is a actual question posted in a thread over there that i had to copy and paste over here............

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"IM INSTALLING MY CAM TODAY. ALSO IM NEW HERE! WHAT TBSS STAND FOR? THANK YOU"

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
A few things I'm not clear on:

Doesn't opening a new account add to their membership count?

The only way to get into my account, is to log in. Does that also add to their web presents?

I did get one person to move over here and will get more if I can.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Sparky said:
I didn't think we were judging others for being on both sites. Confused yes, but that's all :confused:

I believe he is referring to the ones that are trying to contribute to VerticalScope's cause... greed. As for the people that are just there because they don't know any better, you can't blame them, they don't know they are getting shit for advice.

Wooluf1952 said:
A few things I'm not clear on:

Doesn't opening a new account add to their membership count?

The only way to get into my account, is to log in. Does that also add to their web presents?

I did get one person to move over here and will get more if I can.

Yes to your questions, but it is the price we pay to further the goal of this community. We want to help people, with good, knowledgeable, correct advice... if we must add to a quantity of members over there to help a few, so be it. You won't catch us contributing over there, just spreading the word that we are going to offer much more personalized and friendly assitance.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Sparky said:

Not judging certain vendors who need to be on both sides because of the time and money invested in to the dye's/tools. There is no excuse for members to activity participate in both forums, at least in my eyes. Yes every member is counted as eyes to advertisers, however if you are not posting on the forums you are not adding to the post count. and TBSS stands for Trailblazer SS :tongue:

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Me007gold said:
There is no excuse for members to activity participate in both forums, at least in my eyes.
Agreed. It's not a black and white either/or proposition, naturally. But a few of the most prolific members here were ones who were initially reluctant to come on over. Either they wanted to avoid the drama and politics, as they saw it playing out, or they honestly thought the Golden Age Of Trailvoy was going to magically re-appear, as if it was the SITE'S efforts that made the COMMUNITY and not the MEMBERS who made the COMMUNITY. Some folks don't know how the dynamics usually work. Sites aren't people. They're just gathering places.

But when you whole-heartedly feel the depth of our beef with Vertical Scope and their malmanagement, as the founders all did, it's harder to understand the motivation of folks who refused to move. So if it sounds like I'm asking senior folks to choose, that's why.

And has been noted, noobs who find trailvoy by googling aren't at all bad. They just followed the bread crumb trail to the dusty million-post archive instead of the village block party here. :woohoo:

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
the roadie said:
it's harder to understand the motivation of folks who refused to move.
As it's been suggested before..."big fish in the small pond" syndrome. Probably hoping to become staff members. Perhaps believing that if they become moderators, they will come up with the miracle solution to make that site great again.

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
BO TIE SS said:
... they will come up with the miracle solution to make that site great again.
If you saw the movie Boxing Helena, you might guess that one way to start putting trailvoy back together would be to kidnap me, cut off my legs, and force me to answer questions there 24 hours a day. :hissyfit:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Jman423 said:
Yes to your questions, but it is the price we pay to further the goal of this community. We want to help people, with good, knowledgeable, correct advice... if we must add to a quantity of members over there to help a few, so be it. You won't catch us contributing over there, just spreading the word that we are going to offer much more personalized and friendly assitance.

Got it :thumbsup:.

That's what I thought, but wanted confirmation.

flashman03

Mar 29, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
I have personally sent over 200 PM's on that site to all the noobs and those that I think aren't here and I only reached so many!

This guy is how I was told about GMTNation. It will be great when all the how to's are on this site.

RichieT

Feb 8, 2012
Maybe slightly off topic, but I noticed today that the comments on videos posted to youtube still direct viewers to TV. Maybe those can be edited to direct them here.

RichieT

Feb 8, 2012
the roadie said:
Worse than that, my Youtube ACCOUNT name is "trailvoy". Sigh...... Feels like I have a tattoo with an ex-wife's name on my private parts. :eek: :hissyfit:

That gotta hurt!!!

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Wow Bill!

When someone dropped me a PM back in early Dec, I was skeptical because I didnt see what was going on behind-the-scenes and had been absent on and off due to school. Once I dug into it, it pained me, but I immediately dropped TrailVoy and haven't posted over there since. Not sure how many people read my farewell post in one of the craptastic blow-up threads, but it was tough to do especially since I considered TrailVoy my internet "home" for over 6 years. The 'Nation is better anyway though, all the people that count have made it over here!

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
the roadie said:
Worse than that, my Youtube ACCOUNT name is "trailvoy". Sigh...... Feels like I have a tattoo with an ex-wife's name on my private parts. :eek: :hissyfit:

I just checked and I'm subscribed to your channel. Thought I got rid of all OS connections.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
I'm going to be migrating my Youtube content to another account soon: billtheroadie
Nothing there yet, though.

Maybe on your trailvoy channel you should upload a video about Trailvoy/VS fallout and what they are doing, then direct them to GMTN. Just a thought.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I just went on a mini recruiting campaign for ya hopefully they listen to my genius. haha :thumbsup:

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
I had sent a "noob" at the OS a PM referring them to this site and got this email in return - from the Admin:

Hope all is well
Hi, there how are you? I just got a report regarding a PM referring them to the other site. I have no problems at all with you or other members being on both sites. You are more than welcome to be on the site but please refrain using PM's and posts to refer other people to the other site. It's been months old and is not needed anymore. Thank you for understanding. As mentioned you account is still welcomed here as long as I don't anymore reports.

Cheers

Now tell me, why would someone "complain" about being referred to another site that would be able to accurately answer their questions?
I get the impression that the monitoring of the "private" messages is still alive & well over there... how pathetic & sad...

Oh well, good luck to them!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
CdnGMan said:
I had sent a "noob" at the OS a PM referring them to this site and got this email in return - from the Admin:

Hope all is well
Hi, there how are you? I just got a report regarding a PM referring them to the other site. I have no problems at all with you or other members being on both sites. You are more than welcome to be on the site but please refrain using PM's and posts to refer other people to the other site. It's been months old and is not needed anymore. Thank you for understanding. As mentioned you account is still welcomed here as long as I don't anymore reports.

Cheers

Now tell me, why would someone "complain" about being referred to another site that would be able to accurately answer their questions?
I get the impression that the monitoring of the "private" messages is still alive & well over there... how pathetic & sad...

Oh well, good luck to them!

I had the same PM from them...but that didn't stop me until they band me again. Then I was stopped

For now :biggrin:

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
CdnGMan said:

1) What was the name of the noob you recruited? Some are true noobs with no dog in the fight, and they might get confused about the PM, depending on how you wrote it. Some are "shill" or fake noobs meant to entrap folks like you into PM'ing them. And some are known complainers who hope to curry favor with the admins in hopes they'll be promoted to be a new mod.

2) The "report" could indeed be a lie, and there is so little PM traffic that it's easy to monitor. What would noobs need to PM other noobs about anyway? Certainly not going to restart regional meets or do anything like reform an active community.

Every time they tighten the screws, more folks slip through their fingers.

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
the roadie said:
1) What was the name of the noob you recruited? Some are true noobs with no dog in the fight, and they might get confused about the PM, depending on how you wrote it. Some are "shill" or fake noobs meant to entrap folks like you into PM'ing them. And some are known complainers who hope to curry favor with the admins in hopes they'll be promoted to be a new mod.

2) The "report" could indeed be a lie, and there is so little PM traffic that it's easy to monitor. What would noobs need to PM other noobs about anyway? Certainly not going to restart regional meets or do anything like reform an active community.

Every time they tighten the screws, more folks slip through their fingers.

I wish I could remember who the noob was - it was 3 days ago tho... and they were looking for help with a door problem, if I remember correctly...
I'll see if I can go back thru the forum and find my post...

Oddly enough, I don't have a copy of the "sent" message in my inbox - like I used to... :confused:

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Me007gold said:
Step 3. ???
Step 4. Profit

Between this post and the avatar, I thought this was Arfcom for a second.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Theres one way to see if they are reading PMs over there.. I have an acct there.. Barely used looks like a nOOb... Roadie PM me and I will tell you what my name is over there, then someone PM that account and ONLY that account and see if they catch it.. :lightbulb::shhh::satan:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
$66 is half what new manuals cost. So he got a good deal. IMO, it's nice to have the hard copy. :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online