If trailer house battery is low or dead. Will trailer brakes still work?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
In a previous post, I mentioned I purchased a nice little Geo Pro G14FK trailer. I'm trying to pick it up in the next couple of days.

I'm thinking the brakes should work off of the power from my Envoy battery because of my factory tow package and correctly installed Tekonsha Voyager controller. I have also connected the red charging wire to the appropriate lug on the fuse box under the hood.

I realize that the breakaway feature may not work if the house battery is dead. I'm just wondering if the brakes will still function if house battery is indeed dead. Thanks for any input.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope. If trailer separates from the tow vehicle, it will also be unplugged so no power to the brakes.

However, if you connect the red wire at the fuse box, the truck will recharge the battery while you're driving. It won't be an instant thing so don't lose the trailer during the first 30 minutes of driving :biggrin:

Completely discharging a battery repeatedly will destroy it in short order. In fact, you should try to not let it go below 50%. If you need longer battery time, there are a couple of options. You can install a second battery or even go with a couple of 6V golf cart batteries for even more run time. If boondocking, an inverter generator (NOT a construction type noise maker) can recharge your battery and run stuff. Beyond those things, you start looking at lithium battery banks and solar systems which are $$$$$.

Reactions: Redbeard

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
The trailer brakes will still work as long as the connector is linked and the brake controller is powered, the dead trailer battery has no effect on the trailer brakes as long as you are connected. Mooseman is correct about what will happen if the trailer separates.

Also, if you had no trailer brakes, the vehicle brakes will still work to try and stop the trailer and truck at the same time. Definitely not what you want, though, as there would be no guarantees on effectiveness.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online