idles rough and has a hesitation

LordBear

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
shortly after i bought my tb a few months ago started having some issues.. where at idle if u gave it gas it wanted to die, sames as putting it in reverse, and also started doing that when i first put it in drive as well.. later on i started getting issue while at idle every few rotations there would be a hesitation and ocationally it wanted to die.. but wasnt all the time..any who...

cleaned throtle body
replaced plugs..
replaced cpas ..which was bad
fuelfilter

after replacing the fuel filter almost all problems have gone. 130000 miles and still had the original in it.. but now seems like rpm is a tad bit higher.. no biggy if it wasnt getting enough fuel before and was fighting a clogged filter.. but also it is kinda rough?? its not bad..it could just be the way they run and feel correctly.. but also still has that hesitation only at idle so far ever few rotations.. which if i remembered it right that it didnt do when i first got it.. kinda worries me..lol any ideas??

putting some fuel treatment in when i get gas today.. injector cleaner stuff.. wondering maybe if i have a clogged cat? not sure bout that seafoam stuff but mite try that too soon...

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
LordBear said:
shortly after i bought my tb a few months ago started having some issues.. where at idle if u gave it gas it wanted to die, sames as putting it in reverse, and also started doing that when i first put it in drive as well.. later on i started getting issue while at idle every few rotations there would be a hesitation and ocationally it wanted to die.. but wasnt all the time..any who...

cleaned throtle body
replaced plugs..
fuelfilter

after replacing the fuel filter almost all problems have gone. 130000 miles and still had the original in it.. but now seems like rpm is a tad bit higher.. no biggy if it wasnt getting enough fuel before and was fighting a clogged filter.. but also it is kinda rough?? its not bad..it could just be the way they run and feel correctly.. but also still has that hesitation only at idle so far ever few rotations.. which if i remembered it right that it didnt do when i first got it.. kinda worries me..lol any ideas??

putting some fuel treatment in when i get gas today.. injector cleaner stuff.. wondering maybe if i have a clogged cat? not sure bout that seafoam stuff but mite try that too soon...

Usually for me that injector cleaner stuff seems to work well. Not sure why but it does the job and its not that expensive! Also clean your air filter because that can be really dirty also!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
LordBear said:

cleaned throtle body
replaced plugs..
fuelfilter

I have the same problem in my Envoy...the same exact issue actually and I have yet been able to solve the issue, so hopefully yours is just the fuel filter. Mine has actually stalled on me twice now. Watch your RPM's as you hit the gas and see if the RPM's drop when you get that hesitation. Mine drops to almost 300rpm's when it hesitates. Mine also started at idle in park, then did it in reverse and now also does it in drive, and it doesn't happen every time either. I'm thinking spark plugs, but I'm not sure on that either as I too have done everything you have except fuel filter. I too am at a complete loss for this issue, and never really did get any feedback on it either. I even posted a video of my RPM's dropping while the truck hesitated when I stepped on the gas. Good luck, but I think our issues with this will have to be taken else where for a more direct diagnosis. Everyone here is extremely helpful, but unfortunately no one has magical powers to always know exactly whats going on, sometimes it's purely up to the few of us with this issue to figure it out on our own and let everyone else know what it was so we can help those out who might experience the same problems later on.

LordBear

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Usually for me that injector cleaner stuff seems to work well. Not sure why but it does the job and its not that expensive! Also clean your air filter because that can be really dirty also!

air filter is clean and if i remember right i think i replaced it when i first got.. either way i had it open the other day while replace a marker light and it is clean. and i have used injector cleaners before but never seen any changes from it.. but i do need to pick up the spray in kind as well..forgot bout that.

LordBear

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Voymom said:
I have the same problem in my Envoy...the same exact issue actually and I have yet been able to solve the issue, so hopefully yours is just the fuel filter. Mine has actually stalled on me twice now. Watch your RPM's as you hit the gas and see if the RPM's drop when you get that hesitation. Mine drops to almost 300rpm's when it hesitates. Mine also started at idle in park, then did it in reverse and now also does it in drive, and it doesn't happen every time either. I'm thinking spark plugs, but I'm not sure on that either as I too have done everything you have except fuel filter. I too am at a complete loss for this issue, and never really did get any feedback on it either. I even posted a video of my RPM's dropping while the truck hesitated when I stepped on the gas. Good luck, but I think our issues with this will have to be taken else where for a more direct diagnosis. Everyone here is extremely helpful, but unfortunately no one has magical powers to always know exactly whats going on, sometimes it's purely up to the few of us with this issue to figure it out on our own and let everyone else know what it was so we can help those out who might experience the same problems later on.

the fuel filter did clear up most of my issues.. except the last as i mentioned..i might pull that plug 4 out as well ..when i replaced them there was some moisture around the threads.. which that has mentioned alot bout water coming in under the hood.... might check and see if there is moisture in there again and see if that is maybe throwing off the spark every couple of rotations?

also thinking bout finding a air box from a wrecking yard or something..the one that hooks to the throttlebody and cut it up and see bout making an engine cover useing it as a template for the mounting bolts..surpised i having heard of any one else doing this... and then putting in pvc under it replacing the air box.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
LordBear said:
air filter is clean and if i remember right i think i replaced it when i first got.. either way i had it open the other day while replace a marker light and it is clean. and i have used injector cleaners before but never seen any changes from it.. but i do need to pick up the spray in kind as well..forgot bout that.

Yeah they have different kinds of injectors, I remember when my truck had very bad idle issues a while back I bought the all in one cleaner and it was like brand new. But looks like you pretty much did everything do get rid of that idle so that injector should help I believe. Now unless you have a ton of dirt build up at the bottom of your tank from so many years and miles can be a possibly. now are you the person to empty the tank before filling? Doing so can hurt the engine because it will pick all that up and go in the engine.

LordBear

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
no i dont empty the tank..i fill it when i get down to just less that a 1/4 which is roughly 200 miles

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Go out and get a couple of bottles of Techron fuel system cleaner , get the one that says for 20 gallons, not 12 gallons. If you have longer highway trips coming up use it then , put it in before you fill up . Stuff is not cheap but it works very well .

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
LordBear said:
also thinking bout finding a air box from a wrecking yard or something..the one that hooks to the throttlebody and cut it up and see bout making an engine cover useing it as a template for the mounting bolts..surpised i having heard of any one else doing this... and then putting in pvc under it replacing the air box.

Like this

http://gmtnation.com/f33/new-intake-2378/

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
LordBear said:
no i dont empty the tank..i fill it when i get down to just less that a 1/4 which is roughly 200 miles

Hmm I usually do evey half a tank max just to be safe

vipergg said:
Go out and get a couple of bottles of Techron fuel system cleaner , get the one that says for 20 gallons, not 12 gallons. If you have longer highway trips coming up use it then , put it in before you fill up . Stuff is not cheap but it works very well .

make sure it says high miles since your higher then 90k

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have never had an issue with water getting under the hood. Not sure if the newer ones have an additional piece of weatherstripping or not.

LordBear

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Hmm I usually do evey half a tank max just to be safe

make sure it says high miles since your higher then 90k

every 100 miles? lol... hhmm last time i checked gas station is kinda boring to hang out at every coupled of days... does make me wonder though how good of a filter is in the fuel tanks and why the inline filter isnt collecting more of the crap? since i did have the fuel light come on last night on my way to gas station... which did happen to me once before..wonder if thats what caused the problems? living on this hill sucks..really kills the fuel milage.

and im not sure what cleaner i have..it was what i could afford at the time

LordBear

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
I have never had an issue with water getting under the hood. Not sure if the newer ones have an additional piece of weatherstripping or not.

i have no idea.. but from reading stuff on the os it seems that when the weather stripping wears out moister gets in to plug 4 apparenly.? seems to be a common problem.. on mine though the stripping seems to be in great shape and i dont see anything wet but when we did plugs on it there was moisture or something around the threads on plug 4... looked like a mix of water and neverseaze ?..lol

any how...bout to take off and get some things then pull my fender well out and see bout replacing that antena base mount. which i have been meaning to get to since i bought my tb. may pull plug out again and see if it is wet again. hhmm which remindes me.... i think i read some where or something that its not uncommon for the cover to work lose and lose a bit of oil around the plug as well?? may check on that too if we got time.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
LordBear said:
every 100 miles? lol... hhmm last time i checked gas station is kinda boring to hang out at every coupled of days... does make me wonder though how good of a filter is in the fuel tanks and why the inline filter isnt collecting more of the crap? since i did have the fuel light come on last night on my way to gas station... which did happen to me once before..wonder if thats what caused the problems? living on this hill sucks..really kills the fuel milage.

and im not sure what cleaner i have..it was what i could afford at the time

Yeah about 130ish miles or so lol I usually am at the station once a week with that! I only drive to school and work and try to save on gas! But once semester ends yeahh robbed lol

I never had the fuel light go on. even when I had a gas leak it never went on that makes me wonder about my truck now if it knows half these things. But this is what I put in when I have a problem, just get the one that says high miles

[EBAY]280861285201[/EBAY]

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
vipergg said:

Advance Auto usually has a "Buy 1, get 1 free" type sale on the Chevron w/ Techron about once a month. Best stuff there is for cleaning injectors and keeping fuel pumps in good working order, IMO.

I put a bottle in about every 3 months.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IMHO, a bottle of Chevron Techron, or your choice of injector cleaner, at every oil change, is plenty.

If you need more than that, use better gas or a better gas station.

rppoit

Apr 11, 2012
Another good option that no one has brought up is sea foam. I used it on my injectors and in my oil and have noticed a lot smoother idle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online