Identifying a pair of noises (ok, three)

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Changed the oil last night on the Envoy, and had forgotten the tight packaging of the 360s, relative to the 800s. Plus I was a bit tired. So I'll post here, and maybe have someone(s) point me in the right direction...

1st noise is suspension-related. I seem to have developed a creak when navigating curbs, etc., at slow speed. Suspension is pretty much all-new (replaced it 2yrs ago). What would be the things I check out first? I was thinking 'springs'...but if so, what does one do to remedy that? I'm not replacing the ones I have in there, so masking the noise will have to do, if it's the springs.

Sway links look intact (they're the 'old' design Moog replacements, given that I have an '03). Admittedly, the truck does sit for periods of time -- it's not a DD (but will become one in a couple of months). And where I seem to notice this noise most is coming out of my driveway (after it's been sitting for a day or two or ten).

Noises 2 & 3 are driveline, and seemingly (?) related. I noticed them first after using the Voy about a month ago to tow my replacement QSteer axle for the Sierra from STL > home (maybe 350mi total?)

Figure 1000 lb, for trailer + load. Because the weight was relatively light, the terrain was really flat, and it was 99% interstate, I left the trans in 'D', not '3', like I would normally use with my travel trailer. Not sure if any of this is relevant, but...after I got home, I noticed these two noises the next (?) day.

1st one is a high-pitched whining...it's not loud, and it's pretty much from off-idle until masked by other noises. By midway through 2nd gear, it's pretty much unnoticeable.

2nd one is a low-pitched whine (maybe we'll call it a 'groaning', but I certainly wouldn't call it a 'grinding'). You start really noticing it at 30-35mph (when you'd be in 3rd). Yes, there does seem to be a small 'gap' between the 1st and the 2nd noise. This one lasts until ambient noise takes over - but I had the truck up to about 70mph the other day, and I thought I still noticed it then. Yes, I did adjust my tire pressures, thinking that this noise might be coming from them -- no change.

While these two noises themselves are constant, they don't increase in pitch or volume as the trans cycles up through the gears. As I write this, I think... 'what about off-throttle?' -- I can't remember just now, but I believe these noises are only under load / cruise, not coast or brake. And only present while moving.

Noises haven't gotten 'worse' with time, but they're ever-present. Besides wanting to be ahead of a potential 'catastrophic' failure, the noises are annoying, and I know they didn't used to be present -- so I'd like to get rid of them.

As far as the transmission -- if anything is wrong with it, I can't tell. It still shifts perfectly, fluid looks fine for level / condition, etc. Torque shows the temp to be quite acceptable (150F-ish -- not even being worked hard). So I'm not thinking 'pump' -?

The *only* thing I notice that might be different about the shifting is that lockup might be occurring slightly faster (and more 'positively', FWIW) -- almost immediately after I hit 4th, the converter locks. For those new to 'my' Voy, it was (fully) rebuilt about 2yrs ago, and also has the TransGo PWM elimination fixes applied.

AFAIK, the front diff / TC levels are fine - saw no leaks (but didn't remove the fill plugs to verify level). Both of those were changed out since I've had the truck, and have maybe (?) 10K or so on them (nowhere near the TC change interval, and it has the Auto-Trak fluid, as well). Also, I'm in 2WD 99% of the time, and never out of it since I've started hearing these noises.

Thoughts / follow-up questions welcomed. :thankyou::tiphat:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For the suspension squeak, maybe the sway bar bushings?

So you replaced all the A-arms/bushings?

For the rest, I have no clue and would probably be next to impossible at a distance without hearing them first hand.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
No, the A-arms are stock on this one. I just replaced the ball joints, so the bushings in the arms are OEM. Shocks are Bilstein HD (and look ok as far as leakage); new mount hardware for those shocks, new sway links / sway bar bushings.

You've given me a good idea, though - I'll try some SuperLube spray on the arm bushings & see what happens there. I should also do a jounce test and see if I can get it to reproduce that way.

I had thought about recording the driveline noises, but figured that would not transfer well at all online. But I'll have a go-round with that later on this week and post back here if I think it's discernable via recording.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Reactions: Reprise

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: Reprise
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I know you just put ball joints in, but don't count them out as a possible cause. Are they greasable? Did you grease them? I have a lower that I can't grease unless I jack up that side by the lower control arm - only then can I get grease in the LBJ. Mine squeaks like hell until I do - then it's gone for 6 months at a time.
To eliminate springs you could spray them with WD40, top and bottom. I know there's an isolator at the top, but it could be worn through. A quick squirt will help troubleshoot that as a cause.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.