I6 Sputter, Surge, Hesitation, Loss of power, fixed by replace Manifold Oxygen Sensor

Billdaman

Original poster
Jan 19, 2012
Read scores of posts to get to the bottom of the issue. The symptoms below were bad with the A/C off, and when it was 85+ degrees and with the A/C on it made the vehicle barely drivable.

• Poor acceleration
  • Surging
  • Erratic shifting
  • Hesitation
  • Extreme loss of power
Tried the following:
  • Replaced plugs
  • Techron'd the Fuel System 3 times
  • Replaced fuel filter
  • Replaced Ambient Air Sensor
  • Pulled Oxygen Sensor to identify (preliminary) clogged CAT (no difference in performance with it removed)
  • Cursed

I was thinking Replacement of the clutch fan, but taking the advice of several Forum members (Take the cheapest route first....The Exhaust manifold Oxygen Sensor should be replaced with the Plugs), I went for the Oxygen Sensor - Upper Manifold location. Purchased A/C Delco for 50$ on Amazon. Replaced.

The problem COMPLETELY solved! Sweet solution to a problem worsened on a recent 9 hour drive.

Used a Harbor freight Oxygen Sensor Socket, and a little PB Blaster. The socket is 3/8 drive and good thing because nothing 1/2 inch would fit into the space necessary to fit a breaker or ratchet and the socket over the sensor into place on my vehicle. With just barely enough clearance to fit a small 3/8" breaker bar I added my floor jack handle as a cheater and the sensor came out easily even though it was in there for 100K plus.

Great advice to resolve all the listed problems.

Reactions: Meiznac

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Interesting. What did the real time sensor data look like? Sluggish?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I agree with Bill. What does the scan tool say for your long term fuel trim?The computer will adjust fuel based upon rich or lean conditions. You might have (or had) some other problem like a stuck injector or fpr issue. The reason the O2 sensor went bad could have been fouling from an overly rich mixture which may have been solved by the injector cleaner. I would just confirm your ok. :thumbsup:

Billdaman

Original poster
Jan 19, 2012
CaptainXL said:
I agree with Bill. What does the scan tool say for your long term fuel trim?The computer will adjust fuel based upon rich or lean conditions. You might have (or had) some other problem like a stuck injector or fpr issue. The reason the O2 sensor went bad could have been fouling from an overly rich mixture which may have been solved by the injector cleaner. I would just confirm your ok. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, will do. I need to get a laptop that can be read during the day and load ProScan to take the Fuel Trim readings.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
I'm gonna to have to do this...my LS has a few of those symptoms as well.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I see techtron fuel cleaner but I never see a throttle body cleaning. I would try that right away. No cleaner is going to clean it like a quick removal and scrub w a tooth brush.

Billdaman

Original poster
Jan 19, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
I see techtron fuel cleaner but I never see a throttle body cleaning. I would try that right away. No cleaner is going to clean it like a quick removal and scrub w a tooth brush.

Excellent point, good catch I did the throttle body cleaning when I changed the plugs tooth brush to the tougher deposits, polished clean as new, reset the PCM by Fuse 10 and 28 (PCM fuses) pulling fuses for 3o minutes also changed out the air filter. None of those things got it done for me. Next step put it on a scanner to verify all stays OK

misterhyde

Oct 14, 2012
is everything still going good? I replaced my front O2 sensor with a Bosch 13847 when I had the manifold replaced. Wondering if I should change it to an AC Delco.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Billdaman said:
Tried the following:
  • Cursed

Good thing there is no shortage of curse words, and that the price doesn't change, because I try that with pretty much everything I do on a vehicle! Usually doesn't do much to help the situation, but it makes me feel better! :bonk:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigchadwell

Members Online

No members online now.