i6 Dual Alt Pics!

El1t3tb

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
some of you audio addicts may now that ryan (boilermaker) sold his tb :frown: but its in good hands now (unfortunately not in my hands) and finally i got some pics of the dual alts! i was thinking about doing it for my next build but after seeing this :redface:

anyways here you guys go

DSC02819.jpg

DSC02820-1.jpg

DSC02821.jpg

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
While I agree that adding an alternator is an interesting mod and probably quite useful to the audiophiles, I have a question. How can you change the angles on the belt and expect it to still function properly? With the way the tensioner hits the belt now I can't imagine that it is working properly anymore. Plus, this configuration reduces the contact area on 2 other pulleys, does this have an effect? Perhaps the effects are minimal. See the things I think about when I have too much time on my hands.:cool:

El1t3tb

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Okay firstly, I guess I didn't make this clear but this is NOT my tb. It WAS Ryan's (boilermaker).

Just posting pics for you to get ideas or to drool :smile:

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
El1t3tb said:
Okay firstly, I guess I didn't make this clear but this is NOT my tb. It WAS Ryan's (boilermaker).

Just posting pics for you to get ideas or to drool :smile:

I caught that part. I was just curious.:cool:

El1t3tb

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Ghoster said:
While I agree that adding an alternator is an interesting mod and probably quite useful to the audiophiles, I have a question. How can you change the angles on the belt and expect it to still function properly? With the way the tensioner hits the belt now I can't imagine that it is working properly anymore. Plus, this configuration reduces the contact area on 2 other pulleys, does this have an effect? Perhaps the effects are minimal. See the things I think about when I have too much time on my hands.:cool:

ryan and dc power put lots of man hours and lots of thought into this design and i am sure its flawless. hence why hes the only one TO EVER DO IT :thumbsup:

Ghoster said:
I caught that part. I was just curious.:cool:

sorry man but that was totally not directed towards you! i just dont want to be taking credit for someone else super hard work

TXBlazer said:
Not knocking anything here, but that looks like the location of where the A/C compressor used to be....I guess that is not needed anymore???

indeed it is. why would you need ac when you got subs blowing air around?:cool: :raspberry: :cool:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
TXBlazer said:
Not knocking anything here, but that looks like the location of where the A/C compressor used to be....I guess that is not needed anymore???

On the V8s I believe it would be, but on the I6s the AC compressor is below the alt on the drivers side. Thats why we have that lovely hard line crossing on top of the engine.

El1t3tb

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
On the V8s I believe it would be, but on the I6s the AC compressor is below the alt on the drivers side. Thats why we have that lovely hard line crossing on top of the engine.

really? i thought i remembered him saying he took out the a/c. maybe that was for something else:confused:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
TXBlazer said:

El1t3tb said:
indeed it is. why would you need ac when you got subs blowing air around?:cool: :raspberry: :cool:
Sorry, the ac compressor is still there, I can see it in the top pic, it and the hoses.
The 2nd alt is in an area that wasn't being used, hence Ghoster's question about the tensioner and less contact.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Awesome. American Precision Group made that kit for the 3.5 Hummer. APGH3-3500-ALT. Modifications were required to fit. They haven't had it on their site for at least two years. And they never replied to my many inquiries so poop on them.

El1t3tb

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Awesome. American Precision Group made that kit for the 3.5 Hummer. APGH3-3500-ALT. Modifications were required to fit. They haven't had it on their site for at least two years. And they never replied to my many inquiries so poop on them.

If your serious about it hit up dc power. They'll hook you up. But from what I've heard it's not cheap

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
El1t3tb said:
....from what I've heard it's not cheap

Indeed. Based on the parts list that I have, I estimate that if we could get the kit (at the price of $400 when it was available from APC), and after adding all of the necessary odds and ends, we could do it for $700 + the cost of a good Ford 3G alt (I'm pretty sure that's what the second one is).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.