I would totally buy the new Subaru Outback Wilderness

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Why?

I used to be a Subaru Fanatic.. Now that its just a rebadged Toyota.. Nope!

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Mostly for trails/fishing. It's like a factory lift kit on the Outback. I had an old Subaru 1800 GL wagon that I hit a lot of trails with back in the day. Gas mileage/trail ability/price point is kind of at a sweet spot compared to like a Colorado Z or Toyota 4Runner. The new Trailblazers are cool and all but a little small for me.

Plus I prefer the wagon/SUV to a pickup format, I can stick the fly rods inside the vehicle and move to the next spot without breaking them down.

@TollKeeper why do you say it is a rebadged Toyota?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Jumping in here b/c I'm online (sorry TollKeeper!)

Toyota bought controlling interest in Subaru (they had a smaller stake, but decided to increase it a couple of years ago). It was a good fit for them, b/c they get the 4WD tech.

You also saw this in the Scion sport coupe a few years back -- Toyo body, Subie engine (& drivetrain?) IIRC, it was called the FC (-?) Then they rebadged it as a Toyota, when they dismantled Scion.

On the Wilderness -- just my quick 3-second take, since you posted the link (and I know you didn't ask for my opinion... lol). Not my cup of tea. Styling gives it an exaggerated rear rake (one of those eyes fooling the mind things, as you can see the frame / rockers are pretty much level). I'm really not a fan of their boxer engines, b/c they tend to leak oil (or did). And the STi owners would have head gasket problems, etc. If I buy Asian, I pretty much expect 'bulletproof', so I'm biased, that way. Again... YMMV.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
No problem @Reprise , my system doesnt even show a response was made, until you did, so, I would never have seen it.

In 2009, when GM filed bankruptcy, they sold off the stake in Subaru.

Toyota bought that stake (which was 49% of the company), as they got out of bed with GM, and both companies officially cut ties.

Toyota has slowly been reengineering the entire company, this is why Subaru now has CVT transmissions.

Reactions: Reprise

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86