I wonder if someone really died from no chimes

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Capturelol.JPG

I wonder if someone was seriously injured or died because they didn't have the "audible safety alerts" (chimes). Something musta happened for Crutchfield to include this waiver or whatever it is lol.

Let's see what the chimes do in my 03.

The audible warnings alert the driver of a system concern or a critical vehicle condition. The radio generates the audible warnings through the left front speaker. The radio receives audible warning requests via the class 2 serial data line. If the radio receives multiple audible warning requests, the warning with the highest priority sounds first. On vehicles with RPO UQA the audio amplifier, instead of the radio, generates the audible warnings and receives audible warnings requests via the class 2 serial data line. Either the radio or the audio amplifier is the chime producer. The following lists the audible warning priority and the pulse rate:

Fast rate chime (200 pulses per minute)
Medium rate chime (150 pulses per minute)
Slow rate chime (50 pulses per minute)
Single chime

Door Ajar Warning

The chime producer activates the door ajar audible warning as requested by the IPC. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the chime duration (4 pulses). The door ajar warning sounds and the appropriate DOOR AJAR indicator illuminates in the Driver Information Center when the following occurs:
• The body control module (BCM) determines that a door (driver door, passenger door, left rear door, right rear door) is open and the signal circuit is low. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the BCM indicating the door ajar status.
• The vehicle is not in park. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the PCM indicating the gear position.
• The vehicle speed is greater than 8.05 km/h (5 MPH). The IPC uses the vehicle speed signal circuit (4000 pulses/mile) from the PCM in order to calculate the vehicle speed.

Fasten Safety Belt Warning

The chime producer activates the fasten safety belt audible warning as requested by the IPC. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the duration (8 seconds). The fasten safety belt warning sounds and the fasten safety belt indicator illuminates when the following occurs:
• The ignition switch transitions to ON.
• The inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) detects that the driver's seat belt is not buckled (signal is low). The IPC receives a class 2 message from the SDM indicating the driver's seat belt status.

If the seat belt is buckled when the ignition is turned on, the chime does not sound. If the seat belt is buckled while the chime is sounding, the chime stops. If the seat belt is unbuckled after the initial transition to ON, the chime does not sound.

Key-In-Ignition Warning

The chime producer activates the key-in-ignition audible warning as requested by the IPC. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the chime frequency and duration (continuous). The key-in-ignition warning sounds when the following occurs:
• The ignition switch is OFF.
• The body control module (BCM) determines that the driver's door is open and the signal circuit is low. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the BCM indicating the door ajar status.
• The BCM determines that the key-in-ignition switch is closed and the signal circuit is low. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the BCM indicating the key-in-ignition status.

Lights On Warning

The chime producer activates the lights on warning as requested by the body control module (BCM). The BCM sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the chime frequency (fast rate) and duration (continuous). The lights on warning sounds when the following occurs:
• The ignition is OFF.
• The BCM determines that the driver's door is open and the signal circuit is low.
• The BCM determines that the headlamp switch is in the park or head position.

Additional Warnings

The following warnings have an associated IPC indicator or DIC indicator:
• Check Oil Level The chime producer activates the audible warning as requested by the IPC. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the chime frequency and duration .
• Liftgate Ajar/Rear Access Open The chime producer activates the audible warning as requested by the IPC. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the chime frequency and duration (4 pulses).
• Low Fuel The chime producer activates the audible warning as requested by the IPC. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the chime frequency (medium rate) and duration (4 pulses).
• Oil Pressure Low Stop Engine The chime producer activates the audible warning as requested by the IPC. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the chime frequency and duration .
• Overspeed/Vehicle Overspeed The chime producer activates the audible warning as requested by the IPC. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the chime frequency and duration (continuous).
• Reduced Engine Power The chime producer activates the audible warning as requested by the IPC. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the chime frequency and duration .
• Trans Hot Idle Engine The chime producer activates the audible warning as requested by the IPC. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the chime frequency and duration (continuous)
• Turn Signal On The chime producer activates the audible warning as requested by the IPC. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the chime producer indicating the chime frequency and duration (1 pulse).
My best guess is someone might have drove off with a door open and at the same time someone else was getting in/out of the vehicle. But I don't see how else the chimes could prevent injury or death. Not to mention that I've worked on quite a few TB's with a crapped out L/F mid and the chimes didn't work anyway and those owners are still alive to this day.

In my own experience, I added the chime thingy because one time I didn't notice the low fuel light come on. The steering wheel blocked that part of the cluster and I just didn't see it. But even if I did run out of gas and stall, it would be no different then the time the cam sensor stalled the engine and the time that the crank sensor wiring stalled the engine. The chimes didn't do squatch in either of those cases and I made out just fine. So I'm ruling out low fuel chime.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
It's there for the same reason that we have warnings on coffee and refrigerators: people are stupid, and companies are scared of litigation.

Worst case scenario is that you have a dead battery when you come out to your car.

Jared

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Its because Chevy just recalled some trucks because it is possible that they could lose warning chimes. If Chevy is doing a recall then, even though it doesn't seem significant, they are saying that it is important. So now audio manufacturers are in a CYA mode.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
because they don't think the majority of Chevy drivers will notice the mounds of smoke coming from the engine bay after you begin overheating, therefore needing the chimes to be in tip top shape, after all something has to remain reliable... :wink:

...also, when you go into limp mode, chimes goes off... it would suck if you're at a 4 way intersection with only 2 stop signs, you see you can gun it and get across, but damn truck went into limp mode...

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
jsheahawk said:
It's there for the same reason that we have warnings on coffee and refrigerators: people are stupid, and companies are scared of litigation.

Worst case scenario is that you have a dead battery when you come out to your car.

Jared
Not just on coffee. Go buy a coffee travel mug somewhere. You know, just the mug, you fill it yourself. "CAUTION: CONTENTS MAY BE HOT." You'd think the people who POURED IT IN THERE should know that. It's like... "I knew it was insulated but really my coffee was way too hot! It burned me! How am I supposed to know that's how mugs that claim to keep hot hot and cold cold work?"

And tangentially, don't watch that documentary on Netflix about the old lady spilling hot coffee on her lap. They show a photo of the burns at one point, and that was the most disturbing thing I've seen all year. I mean... it was her lap...

Reactions: Texan

snowbear

Dec 5, 2011
I know some of the states have inspection and sale reg's about equipment that came with the vehicle (or installed) has to work properly. There may even be some Federal regulation about disabling equipment like HCMSL and TPMS. I can see someone blasting Crutchfield because their car didn't pass inspection because their new HU doesn't chime

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
Mines been disabled for 2 years now. The only warning i sort of miss is the lights on warning. Some nights I will turn the parking lights on when I pull up in front of someones house and am so used to auto lights i forget to turn them to off when i get out. Passes inspection fine though.

Reactions: djthumper

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
geoturtle said:
I know some of the states have inspection and sale reg's about equipment that came with the vehicle (or installed) has to work properly. There may even be some Federal regulation about disabling equipment like HCMSL and TPMS. I can see someone blasting Crutchfield because their car didn't pass inspection because their new HU doesn't chime
Federal regs are mainly related to safety devices which affect the people around the driver (like all the lights and reflectors) and the catalytic converter and a few other things.

State inspection in WV does not check for presence of chimes, and at the station I went to they won't even touch your tire pressure unless you specify or it'd be a liability for them to allow you to drive it off because it's so dang low.

Inspection programs vary by state; some also have emissions testing in addition to other testing. Here's what a non-emissions test seems to check:
-ALL lights on the exterior of the vehicle work. If you have a truck and you added those yellow clearance lights on top yourself, even those have to work.
-ALL lights lenses and reflectors are in good repair.
-The driver's window must work. There may be stipulations for other windows also in some states.
-The brakes must work, and meet or exceed a certain pad wear criteria.
-The tires must be in good repair and meet or exceed a certain wear criteria.
-The steering system must be in good repair; no broken, damaged or loose parts, or excessive play, etc.
-The parking brake must work properly. An inspection of the pads may or may not occur, depending on how thorough they really want to be. Considering the location of these pads on some vehicles, it's just tested.
-Some states may require the suspension and other components to also be in good repair.
-Your speedometer must work. In some areas, your gas gauge must also work (I guess to minimize people getting stranded?)
-There can be no holes in sheet metal. Having these holes patched via Bond-o or other method are acceptable depending on locale.

A lot of this stuff really doesn't just involve the person driving but also everyone sharing the road with them.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I died for about 4 minutes in my last truck when i tried to bypass the chimes....Don't do it!

:yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove