I want to relocate spare to cargo area

nagyiii

Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
just as the title says, have any of you relocated the spare to the cargo area, and if so, how did you secure it?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I thought about relocating mine into the vehicle a couple of times. That was due to planning out in my head how I'd want to put an air tank and some compressors in that area, to hook up an air bag suspension :biggrin:

For securing the spare inside, I kicked around a few ideas of using the factory tie down points, and rigging some sort of harness or bracket for the spare. Granted, I've got an EXT, and have removed the 3rd row seats, so I have a bit more space to work with. But that's an option.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
My TB has hooks on the floor in back. Strap it down to them. Mine isn't strapped down because I move it often.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You could probably build some sort of bracket that would hold it upright against the side somehow. Would require cutting hole(s) in the panel though for the hook.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Stand it up or lay it down and a simple ratchet strap over it will hold it in place.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
stood mine up on the left side, rachet strapped it in...also have jack, block, and spare tire tools back there ready to go...i will go get a pic and post it in a few

Reactions: nagyiii

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Strap the tire down if it is back there. You never know when an accident is going to happen. I was in a very serious head on collision in a chain reaction accident two weeks ago in my work vehicle. Had it not been for the cage that separates the cargo area from passenger area i would have had 1000's of projectiles hitting me. I was blessed to have walked away with no serious injuries. Though i would have gladly taken some if it meant the other driver lived.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls