I want to clean my engine compartment...but I'm scared.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Most of you know the history of Phantom, which is why I'm a bit scared to actually do it lol

What cleaner can I use? Can I use regular car wash soap? Can I use windex, vinegar? Something household anyways.

I know to cover my Alternator, but what do I cover it with? What happens if the rag covering the alternator gets wet when I rinse out the engine compartment? Is there anything else I need to cover up? I plan on just washing it here with the garden hose so no power washing.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I used Simple Green engine cleaner spray.

Aluminum foil works great for covering the alt because you can mold it on.

A little water on the alt shouldn't hurt any more than driving in the rain.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Simple green is the best! , to make it shiny and all pretty you can use a plastic/vinyl dressing

DucatiSS

Nov 19, 2011
I just did mine. I used Scrubbing Bubbles and just the water from the hose. No covering of anything because no pressure. Spray the Scrubbing Bubbles, wait 5 min. brush off, then rinse. I found an old paint brush and a round dishwashing brush worked the best.

2012-04-29162220.jpg

2012-04-29162303.jpg

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
yeah you dont have to cover the alternator some one else posted that they were in a class were the teacher poured a glass of water on the alternator while it was running

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Aluminum Foil works best on alternator. And when i clean i use a de greaser first. Then Cleaner, and de greaser one last time. Then i use any back to black products to give it that shine

04Trailblazer

Feb 27, 2012
It shouldn't hurt to just use some simple green and quickly spray with a garden hose over the engine. just try not to spray to much water on the alternator. I spray simple green and let it set for about 5 mins, then I rinse it all off and start it up and let it run for about 5 mins to let everything dry.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
I never let my engine get dirty. I wash the engine compartment every time I wash the rest of the vehicle. I've been doing this for almost 20 years now, with no problems.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Alternators and the rest of the engine get pretty wet when going through the rain. They don't like being completely submerged which if you do on a TB/Voy you've got bigger problems. An old Furd had its alternator mounted at the bottom of the engine and a deep puddle I drove through dropped its output to 0 for a minute until it dried out.

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
I use a pressure washer when I wash mine. Keeps the water concentration down, too.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Douche bags at the dealership sprayed mine down and got water in the fuckin headlight :mad: that's ok they are replacing the whole headlight housing.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I've had three 360's and own two of them now. I powerwash all the engine comparments avoiding only the electrics on the driver side. Other than that I pressure wash them like I stole them. I don't cover anything but avoid any plastic with decals. I've done every car I've ever owned like that with no ill effects. The best satisfaction is to have a mechanic compliment you on your clean engine bay. On my old minivan that I meticulously maintained, the oil change guy thought the car had been in a crash and repainted it was so nice for its age here in MN where engine bays get corroded in a couple years.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I like to dry off the area around the coil packs so water doesn't try to seep onto the top of the plugs and rust them. Last time I did plugs the tops of my plugs were rusted. Low water pressure is a good idea too when your around the coil packs.

02 green tb

Dec 4, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Me007gold said:
Simple Green to clean, then I used a product called CD-2.Sprayed everything but the belts, no water required

DSC_0002.jpg
Where did you get the CD-2 from? My engine compartment looks almost as shiny as yours. I use elbow grease and Meguirs tire shine! I'd like it to look a bit shinier though!

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Here's a picture of my engine. I used DP wheel cleaner to clean mine and then Meg's Hyper Dressing for just a little shine (but not greasy/nasty like tire shine - don't use tire shine!).

cleantbengine.jpg

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Cleaning mine as I type.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.