I Wanna Paint My Cracked BowTie

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Either gonna paint it black or Chevy Yellow. Any opinions?

Do you think this crack will show up through the paint?
It feels smooth when I run my fingers across it. Was already there when I bought it last year; I'm guessing a rock did it.

Probably should sand and prime it first, no??

A new BowTie from GM dealership is $40.
I think it looks better when I've seen guys paint it though.

Attachments

• SSPX0862.jpg
    SSPX0862.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 7

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Just do a simple 2000grit sand wet and then hit it with black paint and some clear and it should be good. If the crack is on the inside and is smooth to the touch then I think the paint will hide it well!

plus with a black car it will tie in great and look good...to me it would. If you have a full shot of your car front end I can paint it for you and give you an idea of how it will look

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
My bowtie is the same as yours. I've got gracks in it, they are all on in inside. I Plastidiped mine and the cracks never showed up. So there should be no worries if they are on the inside.

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
If you have a full shot of your car front end I can paint it for you and give you an idea of how it will look

My only thought is that it might be too much black, since the whole grill strip is black, where most TBs are silver.

Please excuse the filthy GMT, but I have been unspeakably busy. Looks like I need a new license plat frame too.

Attachments

• SSPX0881.jpg
    SSPX0881.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 8

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
steven76 said:
My only thought is that it might be too much black, since the whole grill strip is black, where most TBs are silver.

Please excuse the filthy GMT, but I have been unspeakably busy. Looks like I need a new license plat frame too.

If you want you can tape of that small chrome that is lining the emblem and only paint the inside of it black.

Kind of like how these guys did theres

3206769849_24c12cb438.jpg

0821091426a.jpg

Here you go, not the best job sorry but gives an idea for the most part. The black is darker then the car for some reason

SSPX0881.jpg

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
I agree with the previous post, either go with a black and silver, or mask off the sides (where it angles down) and keep that gold. Either way will look good. Dont worry about the crack, I used left over VHT Nightshade on mine with a crack and you couldn't tell it was there.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Not sure if your thinking of paint just because it is broken, but here are a couple of options.

If you like the look of the original, GM will replace it for free, age is not a factor. As near as I can tell, their policy is change it to make the bow-tie look good.

2nd option is to remove the plastic cover, this is what I did, there is black plastic under the cover.

Mine looks like one of the ones above, this one:

3206769849_24c12cb438.jpg

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
RayVoy said:
If you like the look of the original, GM will replace it for free, age is not a factor. As near as I can tell, their policy is change it to make the bow-tie look good.

Are you saying that, if I go into the dealer, they swap out a new one totally for free? Or, I gotta buy the part from them, and they install it for free?

Either way, it sounds to good to be true. Never heard of the dealership doing anything for free to a car that is out of warranty.

Maybe you have some special relationship with your dealer that the rest of us don't have... :undecided:(?):undecided:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
steven76 said:
Are you saying that, if I go into the dealer, they swap out a new one totally for free?
I read about it on an other GM forum,

I had already taken the cover off mine and I was showing a buddy ('03 Silverado), he didn't like the black look and wanted to replace his. I told him what I had read and he didn't believe itbut went to the dealer. They installed a new one for free.

It can not hurt to check.

steven76 said:
Maybe you have some special relationship with your dealer that the rest of us don't have... :undecided:(?):undecided:
Haha, not unless, "here comes that SOB again" is a special relationship :rotfl:

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Well...I did it yesterday with PlastiDip. This was my very first mod. :wootwoot: I think the bug finally bit me, because I now wanna do my rims with this stuff.

Kinda hard to tell because my camera phone sucks. And, she still needs washing. Was 118 here yesterday. :crazy:

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• SSPX0889.jpg
    SSPX0889.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2
  • SSPX0890.jpg
    SSPX0890.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Very nice :thumbsup: if that plasti dip starts to peal switch to regular paint if you like how it looks black :yes:

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
Came out good! Did you take the grill off and paint the bowtie separately or just mask it off and paint it while it was on?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Irishboy02 said:
Came out good! Did you take the grill off and paint the bowtie separately or just mask it off and paint it while it was on?

With plasti dip you just spray it on there. Whatever isn't need peels right off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.