I think I done messed up....fan clutch change gone bad.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Had a problem with my 2006 TB overheating at idle but cooling fine at speed...so I figured 'fan clutch'. So I got a new one, got it on...and the fan starts making all this racket. Checked everything and noticed that the fan is just slightly at an angle on the water pump. pulled it back off and..crap! first few threads are gone on the shaft. Looks like I cross-threaded the thing putting it back on.
I've replaced fans before (on my old Blazer) and never done this but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Looks like I'll be replacing a water pump now...fair enough but now I'm scared to put the fan on again...

Anyway...learn from my mistake, kids...be careful!

-Mike

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
sunliner said:
Had a problem with my 2006 TB overheating at idle but cooling fine at speed...so I figured 'fan clutch'. So I got a new one, got it on...and the fan starts making all this racket. Checked everything and noticed that the fan is just slightly at an angle on the water pump. pulled it back off and..crap! first few threads are gone on the shaft. Looks like I cross-threaded the thing putting it back on.
I've replaced fans before (on my old Blazer) and never done this but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Looks like I'll be replacing a water pump now...fair enough but now I'm scared to put the fan on again...

Anyway...learn from my mistake, kids...be careful!

-Mike

Unfortunately stuff like that happens to people a lot! My husband broke off two bolts on the engine block while we put a new water pump in. That was scarier than shit! But no matter how scared we are, these things bite us 1 of 2 ways. We pay an arm or a leg for someone else to do it, or we do it and possibly end up screwing something else up in the process. But that's life, and a GM for you :biggrin:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
How do the threads in the fan look? Salvageable?

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
MAY03LT said:
How do the threads in the fan look? Salvageable?

From what I can tell, the fan threads are ok. Looking at pics of other vehicles...looks like maybe the very end of that shaft doesn't have threads. Wonder if something else is off...could I have gotten the fan on a few degrees crooked and NOT messed up the threads?

-Mike

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online