I really need some advice before I blow up this truck😤

Metanoiahenery

Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
Des Moines Ia
I have a 2002 Chevy trailblazer LTZ just bought it not even 2 1/2 weeks ago and I had problems even on my first day after I brought it home, noticed a transmission leak. I didn’t even have the freaking truck for four hours and you had to go into the shop, I had to change both of the transmission lines then the check engine light came on so I checked that and I get a code for P0014, which I’m sure you already know that’s the code for the camshaft position timing solenoid. If you thought I was done oh no no no! A couple of more things happened today. This morning I noticed something leaking turned out it was power steering fluid and that made sense to me why there was a humming sound coming on from my steering wheel area so I checked the power steering fluid it was practically almost empty so I filled it carried on with my day, and as I was on my way back to work I was pulling in to Burger King to pick up an order for my job at the stoplight my check gauge light came on I looked over and it said that low oil pressure, shut down engine and I turned right into the Burger King shut it off. Now this point I already know the oil is full because I checked it earlier in the day but I said what the hell I’ll wait about 10 minutes and check again and it was still full so as I sat there contemplating if I should even be driving it because I don’t wanna blow the engine after doing a little bit of research I realize that after I press the gas it goes up to 40 but it’s when I’m idle that it goes down to zero but all the way home I was able to make it home without it giving me the low pressure light again. Now let me just mention that I do need to change my oil because that lights on so I’m just trying to figure out if all this is connected with the code that I was given any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Also all of this happen in a span of 2 1/2 weeks if that

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
First thing to know is that on the 6 cylinder engine in these trucks that oil pressure gauge is just a glorified on-off display. The actual number displayed is not a real value of the oil pressure. It is just something GM did to keep drivers happy.

If your oil is old and needs changing that's the first thing to do. And the light telling you to change the oil might also be a result of nobody resetting it the last time the engine oil is changed. That light also can't tell when the oil needs changing, it is just something that monitors your driving and engine operating conditions and makes its best guess at when the oil needs changing. But a human has to reset it when they change the oil and a lot of owners don't do it.

All that aside, the thing to keep watch for is if the engine ever starts making tapping noises at idle (or elswhere) and that oil pressure warning comes on STOP THE ENGINE.

For now, get the oil and oil filter changed and go from there. If you want to take it to the next level of service then have the oil pressure tested with a test gauge while the engine is hot.

Reactions: gmcman and Redbeard

Metanoiahenery

Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
Des Moines Ia
First thing to know is that on the 6 cylinder engine in these trucks that oil pressure gauge is just a glorified on-off display. The actual number displayed is not a real value of the oil pressure. It is just something GM did to keep drivers happy.

If your oil is old and needs changing that's the first thing to do. And the light telling you to change the oil might also be a result of nobody resetting it the last time the engine oil is changed. That light also can't tell when the oil needs changing, it is just something that monitors your driving and engine operating conditions and makes its best guess at when the oil needs changing. But a human has to reset it when they change the oil and a lot of owners don't do it.

All that aside, the thing to keep watch for is if the engine ever starts making tapping noises at idle (or elswhere) and that oil pressure warning comes on STOP THE ENGINE.

For now, get the oil and oil filter changed and go from there. If you want to take it to the next level of service then have the oil pressure tested with a test gauge while the engine is hot.
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain that to me. That is exactly what I’m going to try. And know there was no knocking or anything which would probably come if the oil was low which it was full that’s why I figured I can make it home because of that reason but thank you again you’re awesome🤩

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Dont feel like the Lone Ranger.....I bought my 2003 2 years ago for WAYYYY to much money. They guy told me EVERYTHING worked and stupid me didnt even realize that even the radio didnt work until I had signed the papers and was heading home. 2yrs and a LOT of money Im still not able to drive it across town without something breaking down.
But I wouldnt trade it for anything.....its 20 years old , its supposed to breakdown now and again. A new Trailblazer would probably cost me what I paid for this 1 as a down payment and another $400 a month in payments and Id be driving a piece of junk Id hate with a Singer sewing machine motor.
I dont mind putting out that payment money in repairs to keep a car I love and consider 1 of the best cars to ever roll off a GM assembly line. And although Ive been saying this on this forum for over a year at least I think I can see a light at the end of the tunnel where soon I can depend on this baby to take me wherever I want to go......But Ill keep a wrecker drivers card on the back of the Sun Visor just in case:biggrin::biggrin::bonk::weird:

Metanoiahenery

Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
Des Moines Ia
Dont feel like the Lone Ranger.....I bought my 2003 2 years ago for WAYYYY to much money. They guy told me EVERYTHING worked and stupid me didnt even realize that even the radio didnt work until I had signed the papers and was heading home. 2yrs and a LOT of money Im still not able to drive it across town without something breaking down.
But I wouldnt trade it for anything.....its 20 years old , its supposed to breakdown now and again. A new Trailblazer would probably cost me what I paid for this 1 as a down payment and another $400 a month in payments and Id be driving a piece of junk Id hate with a Singer sewing machine motor.
I dont mind putting out that payment money in repairs to keep a car I love and consider 1 of the best cars to ever roll off a GM assembly line. And although Ive been saying this on this forum for over a year at least I think I can see a light at the end of the tunnel where soon I can depend on this baby to take me wherever I want to go......But Ill keep a wrecker drivers card on the back of the Sun Visor just in case:biggrin::biggrin::bonk::weird:
Wow that’s crazy well least you still had your truck 20 years and on. Well on top of everything that I already mentioned come to find out he didn’t have this car registered for six years so obviously that means I’m going to be left with the bill and I have to pay before I can even get it registered I am getting a lawyer as of Monday he may get me on the fact of that bought as is but a few other things is considered fraud.That’s a whole another story. He didn’t disclose that to me, he didn’t even hand me the auto check paperwork till after everything was signed and not only on my truck but on my dad‘s car that he bought from him at the same time and my nephews! None of them wasn’t registered for a few years either so obviously this is something that he does often if not every single time. It’s just so disgusting and it makes my blood boil.

• Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
The OIL pressure could also be a bad pressure switch which is located just above where the Oil filter goes. Your TB might need some TLC and fluid changes but if taken care of right, it will be a good ride. Mine is a 2005 with over 220K miles on the original Engine, trans and transfer case.

Reactions: Mooseman

Jkb242

May 19, 2019
CLT
As horrible as that sounds, rest assured that the reliable help and guidance you need is here without a doubt. I’ve learned so much here and a happy paying member!

Metanoiahenery

Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
Des Moines Ia
As horrible as that sounds, rest assured that the reliable help and guidance you need is here without a doubt. I’ve learned so much here and a happy paying member!
Thank you so much that makes me feel so much better I do have a question though I noticed when I shut off my truck now I hear something that sounds like you’re letting air out of a tire or something but it’s not my tires

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
That hissing sound may be air leaking from the seal between brake master cylinder and booster. With the hood up, shut off the engine, hop out and put your ears near the brake master cylinder to listen and to locate the hiss.

You didn't ask, but In my opinion, ANY 20 year old car is not a good choice for you if you do not posses mechanical skills. I recommend getting a used car that is 10 years old or less, from a private party that can demonstrate ownership and maintenance records. That is your ticket to transportation that does not require paying mechanics large sums of money after the purchase.

Best wishes,
Rick

Reactions: northcreek

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
You didn't ask, but In my opinion, ANY 20 year old car is not a good choice for you if you do not posses mechanical skills.
Unfortunately, this is usually the case unless you're buying Grandma's car and even then.....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online