I never thought the day would come...

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hey everyone,

I've been a member here for a few years now posting sporadically but following the community regularly. I migrated from trailvoy as soon as I heard about the nation and noticed all the big players started disappearing. In 2009, when I was 17 and in need of my first vehicle, I bought a stock 2005 TB LT with 23,000 miles. Since then I've put 80,000 miles on the truck, that for some reason I called Bernard. Over the years I learned to love my aging truck that sometimes needed a little TLC, but never truly showed his age. I always thought that I'd run him into the ground before actually letting him go. Over the years there were probably 4 or 5 times that I became frustrated with Bernard for one reason or another and considered selling him, but never did....even when my front disconnect grenaded on me and the inner housing was stuck in the oil pan. But after graduating college and getting my first "real" job, the day came to buy something new that would truly be my own from the start, and that meant selling Bernard. I cleaned him up just about the best I ever had, took some photos, and posted an add on C-list. A few days later I had a buyer lined up.

After years of modding my TB to get it to a point where I was finally happy with how he looked and performed, I sold Bernard.

With an unbelievable mix of emotions from letting him go, tomorrow I'll be the proud owner of a 2015 Silverado double cab LTZ...

I can't thank everyone here enough for all of the helpful advice, support, and inspiration that you guys provided over the years, and I will definitely be sticking around for advice and help with the new truck.

Bernard in 2009...

1h59pd.jpg

and Bernard a few days ago...

2rfbjgz.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Nice truck. Welcome to the Silverado club too, I just did similar on that end although I still have Rusty for now.

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I did mention GMTN to the buyer, and Bernard had Mark's 3" lift (plus the .75" upper spacer from the old leveling kit in the rear), 1.5" wheel spacers, 32" General Grabber AT2s, and the Massive upper/lower control arms and panhard bar.

After pretty much the entire day running back and forth between the dealer, bank, and credit union...

Here's my new truck...

334t5au.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That new one is a beauty

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
That new truck is sweet! Trust me, you will always have a soft spot for "Bernard", but you will never look back after owning a full size GMT. I wish I had gone back to full size years ago.

You need a nice tonneau cover now.

Welcome to the Silverado/Sierra club!

Reactions: djthumper

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
DocBrown said:
That new truck is sweet! Trust me, you will always have a soft spot for "Bernard", but you will never look back after owning a full size GMT. I wish I had gone back to full size years ago.

Tonneau covers are nice if they do what you want. I should be getting mine late June or so when I get my longevity check.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
djthumper said:
Tonneau covers are nice if they do what you want. I should be getting mine late June or so when I get my longevity check.
What are you getting? Hard or soft cover? And what brand if I may ask?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That's one thing I thought odd how the tailgate doesn't have a lock :confused:

My Silverado has a soft tonneau cover on it. Came with the truck. Kinda nice to be able to leave a toolbox or whatever back there and even if it rains the stuff doesn't get all soaking wet.

Reactions: djthumper

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
DocBrown said:

Thanks! Every now and then even though I'm more than happy to have my new truck I do miss my TB, its hard to get over something that's been around for so long, that I've put so much time into, and learned so much from. Needless to say I'll never forget how to wrench on a TB. I almost wish the new owner asks me for some help or advise with new mods or maintenance.

and speaking of tonneau covers...that was the first thing I ordered. I went with the truXedo LoPro QT was about mid price range as far as tonneau covers go, but its one of the cleanest I've seen and my brother in law recommended it, he had one on his dodge and loved it. (Dyno video below, video was how he bought it, when he sold it, it had about 1100 horse at the wheels)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-qYf6QmXZw

Got tints done yesterday (20% on the front to match the back) I don't have a pic yet and its too dark now, but here's a pic of the tonneau that got delivered today.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
]I am wanting a hard cover so I can secure things in there and not worry so much since the tailgate has a lock in it. The Bakflips seem to fit what I am looking for and gives me the most flexibility for what I am looking for.

http://bakindustries.com/p-8225-bakflip-hd-tonneau-cover-overview.html
http://bakindustries.com/p-8147-bakflip-g2-tonneau-covers-overview.html

I looked at these. I ended up with an Extang Solid Fold. There were a couple of things about the Bakflip I didn't like. It's not fully removeable. Yes you can fully open it, but then it blocks the back window. I like to see my load. The Bakflip has rain gutter rails. The Extang has no hardware to mount. And I can stand on the Extang. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove or put the Extang back on. The other thing that I could not find a clear confirmation on is that supposeldy you have to open the cover to open the tail gate. I have full tail gate access with the Extang.

I've had the Extang for a year now. I've really only found one negative thing about the Extang. As much as I wanted this feature is that to fully use the bed you have to remove it. It's heavy and a bit clunky, about 50 pounds. The good part for my useage is that 98% of the time folding it up is all I need to do.

All in all I lve the cover and would buy another one.

and speaking of tonneau covers...that was the first thing I ordered. I went with the truXedo LoPro QT was about mid price range as far as tonneau covers go, but its one of the cleanest I've seen and my brother in law recommended it,

Gives it a nice finsihed look!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Never understood the tonneau cover...if you want sealed or lockable, get a camper shell so you have maximum room. If its not for that, then leave it open. If you just need a little storage, get a toolbox mounted up. Really do not get soft covers since they can be slashed open so easy.

i guess part of it may be that i dont like the look and every time I deal with one it is in the way of loading something.

But to each their own. If you like it and it works then Hell Yeah!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I probably wouldn't have bought one for my truck, but since it came with one already installed I don't mind it. There are rigid bars every so often across that while yeah you could cut around them and yank the bar out it still would be a pain to do if you're trying to make a quick getaway with stuff. But besides, the tailgate isn't lockable (from the factory anyway) so there is nothing keeping anyone from just opening it up I suppose.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
DocBrown said:
I looked at these. I ended up with an Extang Solid Fold. There were a couple of things about the Bakflip I didn't like. It's not fully removeable. Yes you can fully open it, but then it blocks the back window. I like to see my load. The Bakflip has rain gutter rails. The Extang has no hardware to mount. And I can stand on the Extang. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove or put the Extang back on. The other thing that I could not find a clear confirmation on is that supposeldy you have to open the cover to open the tail gate. I have full tail gate access with the Extang.

I've had the Extang for a year now. I've really only found one negative thing about the Extang. As much as I wanted this feature is that to fully use the bed you have to remove it. It's heavy and a bit clunky, about 50 pounds. The good part for my useage is that 98% of the time folding it up is all I need to do.

All in all I lve the cover and would buy another one.

Gives it a nice finsihed look!
I was looking at the Extang Fold 2.0 and Encore. I liked the idea of the Encore but I didn't want to have to remove the cover just to have the full bed.

ON the Bak, you have to open the tailgate to get the cover open. I don't really use my interior rearview mirror much anyhow, so it doesn't really bother me about it being up against the back window. I love the fact that I have most of the bed access when I need it without removing the cover. If I need it removed for something it may be a pain but I don't really plan on removing it.

I mostly want the cover to secure my SAR gear instead of constantly removing it from the back seat area. Also, there are times when with scouting I have some equipment back there and want to stop to get some food...

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
my tailgate is lockable from the factory... and with a cover on, you aren't displaying whatever you have in the bed for the world to see. Out of sight, out of mind, but if someone wants what i have in there that bad they're going to get it one way or another despite what cover i'm using. That's what insurance is for.

The truXedo LoPro is damn near watertight and has weatherstripping all the way around, while rain and snow melt will still get in a little, there will never be a pool sitting in the drop in liner, and for the most part my bed will stay dry and out of the sun. and it only takes 30 seconds to roll up completely out of the way, and another 30 seconds to roll back out and latch.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
For some reason Tapatalk wouldn't let me quote a post...

Yes a soft cover can be cut through in a second which is why I almost never lock the tail gate. Most of the time the only things back there are a wood board in the liner pockets to keep things from sliding all the way forward and a large milk crate with paper towels, washer fluid, bungee cords and other miscellaneous junk. Hopefully nothing worth stealing if anyone takes a peak.

I do have a McGard tail gate anti theft lock that goes on the right side hinge. Cheaper than the deductable for replacing the tail gate.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Boards in the liner pockets are a great idea, I didn't think of that. Would be very helpful. I even have some scrap planks in the basement.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online