I need a chip to save fuel and more power the engine

Galo

Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Ecuador
Hello I want to buy a chip or something that helps in saving fuel and give more horsepower to my engine, if it is just to save fuel I will also be satisfied, please help.

Hola quiero comprar un chip o algo que ayude en ahorrar combustible y darle mas caballos a mi motor , si es solo para ahorrar también quedare satisfecho, por favor ayuda.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I dont know of any magic chip that will do any of those things for these trucks. I do know that a pcm tune will help with power and maintenance is the only key for better gas mileage. It also has a lot to do with the type of driver the person is. If your heavy on the gas pedal for the wrong reasons gas mileage will suffer and so will your wallet.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
"Chips" don't really exist for anything that is OBDII (anything since 1996, essentially, but definitely not after 2000 or so). At best, you can get a tune for your computer to adjust some running parameters. @limequat does tuning. So does PCMofNC.

But just be aware, there isn't a bunch of extra MPG to be unlocked on most vehicles anymore that is just bottled up or locked out because it is in the manufacturers' best interests to get the highest MPG they reasonably can on a mass production scale given the EPA standards and such. A tune may get you a little better MPG and some more power that a generic tune that GM uses across the entire 1 million vehicle run, but don't expect it to be earth shattering.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Agreed. A tune will help with driveability but not likely to help much with MPG.

Chips are baloney, fake.

Last edited:
Reactions: limequat and Matt

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
All good points above.
The main benefits of a tune on the 360 platform is the ability to reduce torque management and reduce throttle lag. However, the platform spans 3 control systems, so tune capability and efficacy varies.
On 2005-2009 models, powertrain enrichment is disabled. Turning this back on, combined with more spark timing is good for 15 HP at peak. 2002-2004 models have PE, but IMHO it is too rich for max power.
Throttle delay is a big deal to some. There are videos on you tube that show just how slow the 2008+ throttles are stock. Basically, if you floor it, it will take 2-3 seconds for the throttle to catch up. This can be completely eradicated on 2008 but not on 2006-2007.
If anybody has questions about their particular MY or mods list, feel free to shoot me a note :smile:

Galo

Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Ecuador
gracias a todos por sus aportes, amigo limequat ayudame con los mods para ver que puedo hacer a mi tral blazer te recuendo que mi motor es l6 4.2 vortec muchas gracias

thank you all for your contributions, friend limequat help me with the mods to see what I can do to my trailblazer, my engine is 4.2 4.2 vortec thank you very much

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm glad you like my comment @limequat because it's your tune mate! I got the PCM from @Mooseman with the tune in it, 02 3.42 gears...problem is, I'm averaging about 14.5 mpg instead of about 16 mpg and I don't jump on it that often, but it could also be the MDB front bumper, 30.6" tyres and 2" lift.

Reactions: limequat

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Are you accounting for your speedo being off in your math? My MPG looked worse until I made that adjustment. I had 32" tires (well, 31.8 or something but close enough) so they were roughly 10% taller, which meant my speedo (and thus odometer, and thus mpg calculations) were reading 10% lower than actual.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
I'm glad you like my comment @limequat because it's your tune mate! I got the PCM from @Mooseman with the tune in it, 02 3.42 gears...problem is, I'm averaging about 14.5 mpg instead of about 16 mpg and I don't jump on it that often, but it could also be the MDB front bumper, 30.6" tyres and 2" lift.

I second Sparky's comments. Big tires and increased air resistance certainly don't help either :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Just a slight correction. That PCM was from my '02 and was the first one I had tuned. That was done by PCMforLess (before they became PCMofNC) even before I knew of @limequat 's service. I had another one later tuned by Jeremy but it was for a 3.73 and threw my speedo off. That one is gone to Sweden.

Reactions: Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Are you accounting for your speedo being off in your math? My MPG looked worse until I made that adjustment. I had 32" tires (well, 31.8 or something but close enough) so they were roughly 10% taller, which meant my speedo (and thus odometer, and thus mpg calculations) were reading 10% lower than actual.

I'm using the FillUp app, so it's doing the calculations. My last 3 full fills were 14.19 mpg, 14.67 mpg and 13.82 mpg. The difference in tires is 3.7% taller, so my 14.19 becomes 14.79...still shitty.

I second Sparky's comments. Big tires and increased air resistance certainly don't help either :smile:

I wasn't having a go mate and I stand corrected on who did the tune...Moose didn't tell me who and I assumed it was you because I knew he'd had one done by you.

I knew it was a trade off but didn't realise it would be that much. :sadcry: Gotta pay to play I spose.

Last edited:

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
No problem :smile:
One way to screw up mileage on a tune is to set the powertrain enrichment too aggressive. It's possible -especially with 3.42s and larger frontal area- that you're entering PE too often.
For a stockish truck, I set PE entry at 35% throttle and > 3500 RPM. If you have a scanner, it might be worth checking your commanded AFR at freeway cruise and gentle acceleration.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Huh I only lost around 1 mpg average, but I did mostly cruising highway type of driving. I did lose upwards of 2 mpg for all out interstate though. This was with a stock, untouched tune (I never sprung for it because I couldn't fix tire size anyway).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remember when I first installed it in my '02 EXT, combined MPG did drop a little to about 14 but I once hit a best of 21MPG all highway, fully loaded with 4 people, luggage and camping gear with efans. I remember I loved the responsiveness and shifting but disappointed with the MPG.

BTW, I did get a slight drop on my '07 too to about 16.5 average. To add insult to injury, my '11 Caprice with 6.0L and me driving it like a stole it constantly gets just over 17.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I need to send my PCM to @limequat, just havent gotten around to it. I dont have any mods, and a GU6/3.42 Dif. Getting about 17 MPG consistently on my 5.3. I just dont know if any improvements can be made. I would love to see better MPG thou. Lots of miles, and even more engine hours.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My tune improved my MPG. I am surprised everyone suffers from less honestly.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I need to send my PCM to @limequat, just havent gotten around to it. I dont have any mods, and a GU6/3.42 Dif. Getting about 17 MPG consistently on my 5.3. I just dont know if any improvements can be made. I would love to see better MPG thou. Lots of miles, and even more engine hours.

Do it! Best $99 I spent on the Saab. You think your 5.3 has power? You ain't seen nuthin' yet! Although I do have 3.73 gears.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012

17 highway? I thought the lower gears would actually give better MPG. With the 3.73's I get about 20-21.5 almost consistently just from highway, my city MPG is trash at mostly 11-12 MPG even when I'm "soft" on the pedal. I thought the 5.3 ran better then the I6 at stock, but the tune from PCM of NC really woke it up. I'm sure I'll be getting less once I have the funding together to throw a 6.0 in the Envoy.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have some 4.10 gears sitting in the garage. I need to get them installed, then I will likely send it out. Going from 3.42 to 4.10 should be interesting!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The taller (lower numerically) gears are generally better for highway only. The engine works harder in city driving to get it up to speed each time. However, the opposite (higher numerically) will be good in the city and for towing but lousy highway MPG. It's all a tradeoff. Of course, 3.73 is right in the middle.

Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Yep... I am just chasing power. Hoping for a 6.0/6.2 when my engine goes.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
i had 3.73 and figured out with my tires and 4.10s I have a effective 3.55ish ratio so almost like stock

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online