I lost my Plasti-Dip virginity today...

BINGA

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
It was bound to happen sooner or later. I figured i'd start off small and see where it goes from there. I've got a black TB w grey interior so I wanted to add some accents:

before:
View attachment 21364

and after:
View attachment 21366
Love the defrost vents, they are staying. Passenger vent I'm not sure if i'm sold on it, maybe if I dip the airbag cover as well. What do you guys think?
:undecided:
(Gotta love Plasti-Dip, if you don't like it, peel it off) :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Passenger dash before.jpg
    Passenger dash before.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Defrost side vent passenger before.jpg
    Defrost side vent passenger before.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Defrost side vent passenger dipped.jpg
    Defrost side vent passenger dipped.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 26
  • passenger dash after.jpg
    passenger dash after.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 27

essaycho348

Mar 7, 2012
looks good, what about dipping the airbag cover and the center vent surrounds?

BINGA

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
essaycho348 said:
looks good, what about dipping the airbag cover and the center vent surrounds?

next on my list...possibly the A-pillars too

essaycho348

Mar 7, 2012
idk if i could trust myself doing this, eventually id have a black interior...

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I like the idea!

mikeinDE

Jan 4, 2012
Looks great!! :yes:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
essaycho348 said:
idk if i could trust myself doing this, eventually id have a black interior...

Whats not to trust its practically impossible to ruin anything stuff peals off. Do ittttt

And OP Nice Dip!

essaycho348

Mar 7, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
Whats not to trust its practically impossible to ruin anything stuff peals off. Do ittttt

i guess its more the amount of time and money i would spend on it...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Since I already swapped my console lid and seats to black, I would like some more pieces to tie it all together. After seeing how nice it looks I think I will be following your lead.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Very nice. I agree, air bag & center vent need dipped too.

BINGA

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Since I already swapped my console lid and seats to black, I would like some more pieces to tie it all together. After seeing how nice it looks I think I will be following your lead.

Thanks, it was really easy. Defrost vents just pop out by hand, and the passenger vent you need to pull the access cover to get to the one bolt holding it in, then the cover of the vent pulls off with release tabs:
View attachment 21390

Porkins said:
Very nice. I agree, air bag & center vent need dipped too.

Thanks again, those will indeed be done next. Airbag cover will obviously need to be done in-car, and for the center vents apparently there is two bolts holding that in that can be accessed once you remove the head unit (at least that's what someone posted on the OS.) I'll confirm once i get around to tackling it :bonk:

Attachments

• bolt location of passenger vent.jpg
    bolt location of passenger vent.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 15
  • passenger vent release tabs.jpg
    passenger vent release tabs.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 14

BINGA

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:

Also, where'd you find the black console cover? I'd like that to be black too but i doubt Plasti-Dipping it would work too well seeing how it gets rubbed alot

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Craigslist. Was my first SS part.

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
Can the steering wheel be dipped ?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Too much direct abrasion If I go to my rims and apply direct abrasion in the same spot its will start to peel. You can probably accent your wheel but I dont know how long an entire dip would last

BINGA

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
View attachment 21438

(Looks a little darker since its still fresh...also, that little grey peeking through at the top is actually masking tape residue)

A-pillar is currently under one coat...

Geez, this Plasti-Dip bugi've caught is ridiculous...thinking of dipping my dog next :whiteflag:

Attachments

• Pass Air Bag Cover 1.jpg
    Pass Air Bag Cover 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Pass Air Bag Cover 2.jpg
    Pass Air Bag Cover 2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 10

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
That stuff looks really good, I got lucky though and my entire dash and all is black from the factory, but the doors have cashmere color inlays and the pillars are grey. Does that stuff come in other colors than black?

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Looking good bro Plasti the driverside vents center vents and or the panel that starts from the light/fog switches to the the headunit

BINGA

Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
McGMT said:
That stuff looks really good, I got lucky though and my entire dash and all is black from the factory, but the doors have cashmere color inlays and the pillars are grey. Does that stuff come in other colors than black?

Sure does. Although its harder to find. From what I understand there is Black, Red, White, Yellow, & Blue. Also, I've yet to come across it, but i read somewhere they have metallic and clear overlay spray to accent the base colors...

TexazReece said:
Looking good bro Plasti the driverside vents center vents and or the panel that starts from the light/fog switches to the the headunit

Believe me, I'm considering doing more. Problem with the drivers' vent is it has no housing like the passengers' side, its just incorporated into the main dash surround. Center vents are prob next but you need to remove the radio to get access to the bolts that hold it in first, and since I've got an aftermarket head unit i think i need the "keys" to unlock it from its housing and my stereo guy is on vacay...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.