I have a vibration....

tcurlee

Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
I'm hoping someone can help me track down a vibration that has developed for about a week now. I feel it the most when i'm in gear and stopped and I feel it in the steering wheel, pedals and gear shift. it's a 'fine' vibration that goes away when I knock it out of gear into neutral. It may be there when i'm driving but I don't feel it then. The only thing I've done lately ( about 3 or 4 weeks ago ) is install a new clutch fan and CPAS . It's an '05 Envoy w/ 198,000 miles, 4X4. I have no codes showing or pending and no other driveability issues. -- Any ideas ??

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sounds like a motor mount to me. On both the right and left side of the motor, you can look straight down, and see the motor mounts, if any of the rubber is bulging badly or torn, or if you had the original oil filled mounts, if the oil has come out, than it might be time for some new motor mounts. If I remember correctly, on the 4.2, they are fairly easy to replace.

I wish I could say that.. For my 5.3 they are a pain in the arse, and most parts vendors dont even show them for this engine.

Mathoran

May 3, 2012
When i replaced my fan the first one I installed was out of balance and caused a similar vibration to what you're describing. It was an off-brand. Returned it for an AC delco and problem solved. Maybe try it with the belt off to see if the vibration goes away. Motor mounts wouldn't be a bad idea though if you've never changed them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it is the motor mount, use only ACDelco. Aftermarket don't do them right and cause basically the same vibration you're trying to fix.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.