I do cars tear down of a LV3 Ecotec V6

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Motor had what looked like a DOD lifter failure , suspect counter balance shaft and neglected oil changes. Never seen one apart....so I'd thought I share it. FYI....there is a LV1 version still in production that has a factory DOD delete cam in 2500 / 3500 Savana's.

YOUTUBE LINK

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Actually it wasn't a DOD lifter since it had no spring. Not too often a regular lifter failure occurs but this one was obviously neglected.

Do your oil changes!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It was interesting to see that the GM Engineers of this V-6 Engine reverted to using the complicated and excessively "Component Heavy" design for their 2014 Engine Oil Pump.

That 'Thing' is reminiscent of the damage prone Transmission Fluid Pumps of the 4L60E & 4L80Es. Instead of using the Tried and True Gerotor Style for this particular Motor... I wonder what were they thinking? Cost Savings... or perhaps... a Rush to Production?

They also "Crabbed and Cramped" all of the lower spacing and constructs surrounding the Tiny Oil Pump Pick Up Tube. That space down there looks like the Lower Realms of "The Matrix" where The Killer Squigleez roamed about. X>(....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In the name of fuel efficiency and eeking every 100th of a mile out of a gallon of gas, they went with a variable pressure oil pump and the vane type probably makes it easier to do that. I have that in my 3.0L diesel and I notice the oil pressure changing in steps, not entirely with engine speed. Kinda weird.

Lots of things they do that either just fail or are just hated for the stupidery that it is, like the auto stop/start.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It was interesting to see that the GM Engineers of this V-6 Engine reverted to using the complicated and excessively "Component Heavy" design for their 2014 Engine Oil Pump.

That 'Thing' is reminiscent of the damage prone Transmission Fluid Pumps of the 4L60E & 4L80Es. Instead of using the Tried and True Gerotor Style for this particular Motor... I wonder what were they thinking? Cost Savings... or perhaps... a Rush to Production?

They also "Crabbed and Cramped" all of the lower spacing and constructs surrounding the Tiny Oil Pump Pick Up Tube. That space down there looks like the Lower Realms of "The Matrix" where The Killer Squigleez roamed about. X>(....
IIRC its the same variable oil pump used on all GEN V engines... It was mainly for fuel economy. They also drain and dry start. There is a TSB for it from GM that it is normal to have cold start noise for that reason. I also groans like a failing PS pump.

Otherwise it seems overly complicated for what it is.

Edit: @Mooseman beat me to it while I was typing lol.

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Actually it wasn't a DOD lifter since it had no spring. Not too often a regular lifter failure occurs but this one was obviously neglected.

Do your oil changes!
But it is still a DOD/AFM of some type....correct?

Seems the aftermarket has come to the rescue with off the shelf GM components. LINK

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
But it is still a DOD/AFM of some type....correct?
That specific lifter, no, but it has DOD. The cylinders that don't deactivate have normal lifters.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher