I connected the red wire for my 7 pin connector. Now it idles low.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi All,
I finally connected the "red wire" after many years of owning my Envoy. I recently bought a small trailer and needed to connect it for charging the house battery. Also for the electric brakes on the trailer.

Now the Envoy idles a little low. Around 500 rpm. With or without the trailer connected.

Would the 3 wire battery cable/ charging upgrade kit from PCM N. Carolina help with this problem?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Has absolutely nothing to do with that wire. It's basically a straight line to the 7 pin connector. If you disconnected the battery, the throttle body may need cleaning. (I know it's an old song but it bears repeating)

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I don't think that pin has anything to do with electric brakes. Why are you thinking / suggesting that? Have you modified wiring some where?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
It charges the house battery on the trailer while running/towing. The trailer brakes rely on the power from the battery when commanded by my Prodigy controller through the 7 pin connector. So...you are correct..not directly wired to the electric brakes but part of the system. No modifications were done to the factory wiring and controller is wired in and works perfectly.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mooseman is correct. When you take the nut off to connect the wire, the loosening of the nut will disconnect power (been there, done that).

Clean the throttle, unplug the battery while your doing that, and you should be good.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
It charges the house battery on the trailer while running/towing. The trailer brakes rely on the power from the battery when commanded by my Prodigy controller through the 7 pin connector. So...you are correct..not directly wired to the electric brakes but part of the system. No modifications were done to the factory wiring and controller is wired in and works perfectly.
no the prodigy does not command power from pin 7 or the battery in the trailer. The battery in the trailer goes to a breakaway switch so that IF trailer detaches from the vehicle (runaway), then the switch powers the trailer brakes from the trailer battery to basically lock them up and stop the trailer. It has nothing to do with the prodigy. BUT yes, the battery needs to be charged to ensure that the emergency brake system will function when the trailer is accidently no longer connected to the vehicle while towing down the road.

anyway, others have provided some suggestions on how to get your idle returned. hopefully, those will work out.

Last edited:

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I'm confused Budwich...so the trailer brakes are powered by my brake controller and the Envoy battery? The house battery on trailer is only for emergency brake away and trailer needs? So theoretically, the house battery could be completely dead, but the brakes will still work when connected to the Envoy? Thanks for any clarification.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The power wire for the brake controller has its own circuit and fuse. The stud that the red wire connects to also has its own fuse as well. The brake controller sends power to the trailer brakes at the 7 pin connector. The breakaway system that @budwich is talking about is the one that will apply full brakes only if the breakaway cord is pulled and that is powered by the house battery.

Connect the red wire and be happy. All will work :smile:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
The power wire for the brake controller has its own circuit and fuse. The stud that the red wire connects to also has its own fuse as well. The brake controller sends power to the trailer brakes at the 7 pin connector. The breakaway system that @budwich is talking about is the one that will apply full brakes only if the breakaway cord is pulled and that is powered by the house battery.

Connect the red wire and be happy. All will work :smile:
Actually, all won't be good. :smile: The "red wire" is always HOT which means that it will always be trying to charge your trailer battery and / or anything running in your trailer. IF you leave your truck hooked to your trailer for long periods of time but not running, it is likely / possible that your truck battery will be drained and you will be "stranded" and unable to start your truck. You should wire in a relay that is activated in "run only" that will switch / disconnect the red wire when the vehicle is not running.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
That is good info. I like the disconnect relay idea. I guess a temporary fix is to pull the 7 pin connection if it will sit attached for long periods of time. Thx for the ideas.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online