I can't make up my freaking mind...GRR

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
So, as I was heading off to the bank I happened to see my very first dropped Envoy, it had missouri plates on it (No GMT stickers I followed him to check lol) and it looked really sweet. It wasn't a LWB like Phantom is, but all be that sucker was sick lol

NOW

I can't make up my mind if I want to do a drop kit or lift kit. I don't think a drop would be very successful as the voy is 4wd. It didn't look as beefy as a lifted GMT but I'm short in stature so it was appealing to me :biggrin: So I guess I need help...I know it is ultimately up to what I like, but I'm looking for advice on the two on mechanical, functionality for my line of volunteer work(skywarn and Emergency Management) and how I drive(lead foot and aggressive) Which one is easier on the pocket book and which one would be easier to handle so I can still drive it like I stole it lol

I seen High Voltage's sexy beast and for me it's to tall, he has correct me if I'm wrong both a 3" body lift and 3" suspension lift with some very beefy tires. I could barely get in and out of it, had to sit on his rock sliders to get out lol and that wouldn't be something I could do physically.

I heard that with a lift kit on it makes the chances of rollover in these truck higher? That scares me a little as Phantom taxi's all my children and safety is more important to me than looks. So I guess that's about it for questions.

Thanks in advance!

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Lift it. When you raise the center of gravity of a vehicle it makes them more prone to rollover, however, these vehicles have a fairly wide track, so that risk is very low.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
I say lift it with my truck being both 3" suspension and 3" body I have never felt it being to top heavy. To me the truck felt more stable after the suspension lift than when it was stock.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Honestly I do not think it will help much asking us (no offense to anyone!!) just because I can already see what most will say...those lifted or will lift will say yes lift it, those dropped and want to drop say drop it. I personally would say drop it because I like dropped more but the lifted look good also if you do the right mods soooo honestly just see what you want and don't look back once you do it lol I am sure ull go the right way :thumbsup:

hitman

Jan 25, 2012
I agree lift im willing to bet that a spacer kit isnt much as a matter of fact i saw a spacer kit on kijiji for like 150 bucks...i was kinda thinking the same and black with a nice beefy set of tires would look sick...plus come on a a mom that takes the kids mudding or offroading thats just all kinds of awesome im willing to bet they would love that.
Either way there both cool looking though love a low truck as much as a high truck

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
hitman said:
Either way there both cool looking though love a low truck as much as a high truck

:iagree: depends on what mods you run, tires etc. Each look good in there own way :yes:

hitman

Jan 25, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
:iagree: depends on what mods you run, tires etc. Each look good in there own way :yes:

Yes indeed im i would be for either on mine so i see where the toss up would be im soo on the fence about picking up the spacers and putting it about 2.5"closer to the clouds think it would look good, not much into mudding or trailing that what my quads are for but love the look of a high truck

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
hitman said:
I agree lift im willing to bet that a spacer kit isnt much as a matter of fact i saw a spacer kit on kijiji for like 150 bucks...i was kinda thinking the same and black with a nice beefy set of tires would look sick...plus come on a a mom that takes the kids mudding or offroading thats just all kinds of awesome im willing to bet they would love that.

Going mudding and offroading with the kids would be awesome fun, but I wouldn't do it. I love this truck to much to even think about purposefully scratching it up lol hell your talking about a woman who called the police over a small scratch from someone hitting it with a shopping cart, I was literally in tears :redface:

I would take it off road only if duty calls though, when spotting severe weather it does sometimes make me take back roads that can be pretty sketchy. I will also and have also encountered fallen tree limbs and tree's in whole where I would rather drive over them than call someone to remove the tree, or being able to get a wench and do it myself would be just as badass lol

I want it to look good, but I want it to function as a DD, Taxi, school bus, work truck etc...so I really need something extremely versatile.

hitman

Jan 25, 2012
Voymom said:
Going mudding and offroading with the kids would be awesome fun, but I wouldn't do it. I love this truck to much to even think about purposefully scratching it up lol hell your talking about a woman who called the police over a small scratch from someone hitting it with a shopping cart, I was literally in tears :redface:

I would take it off road only if duty calls though, when spotting severe weather it does sometimes make me take back roads that can be pretty sketchy. I will also and have also encountered fallen tree limbs and tree's in whole where I would rather drive over them than call someone to remove the tree, or being able to get a wench and do it myself would be just as badass lol

I want it to look good, but I want it to function as a DD, Taxi, school bus, work truck etc...so I really need something extremely versatile.

I hear that, i guess the best thing to do is ask yourself what would be more usefull as your daily driver (very nice one at that:thumbsup:) i know here on PEI to have a lowered truck would be a pain more than anything due to horrible roads and winter...
and by offroading i just kinda mean getting a bit of mud on the fenders not submarineing it in a mud hole (borrow hubbys for that )

NighTblazer

Jan 23, 2012
As a parent, I suggest going with lowered. kids would also have a hard time getting in and out of your voy. My TB is currently stock height with running boards and I have to help my 3yo out of the back doors. As an enthusiast I would go off of the fact that you said you just saw your first lowered Voy, that tells me they are rare in your area and that would make your truck stick out as much or more than a lifted one.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Keep in mind, lifting doesn't mean you HAVE to go 3" suspension lift, plus 3" body lift, plus bigger tires to add max lift. You can pick and choose. Maybe do Mark's 2.5" lift and a slightly bigger road tire, instead of a meaty offroad tire. :twocents:

4wVoy

Feb 4, 2012
i am sure you have heard the saying "go big or go home" I vote lift, like blckshdw said, you dont have to go all out, pick a combo that works for the family

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Well its not cheap either way u go. I like both. But obviously I like being low just a lil more. Doesn't mean I'll never have a lifted gmt. But anyway...new tires.....the kit whether lifted or lowered.....parts that need replaced (if needed) b4 alignment. And thenb alignment. I spent nearly a lil over $1,000 lowering my envoy. But GOD I love the results
6c643d2b-ad5d-f4fc.jpg

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
LOL Pat!!!!

As far as lifting being an issue for my children, I'm obviously at stock height with running boards and my children have no issues at all, including my 6yr old who is shorter than my 3yr old(he got my genes lol) My neighbor has a ford expedition stock height and they get into that just fine as well and that thing is a freaking MONSTER!! So that really wouldn't play as a decision maker for me.

As far as rare lowered voy's....anything that is not stock here is RARE. I have almost caused 3 accidents alone with just a blacked out GMC emblem and VHT headlights lol. I live in a corn field full of farming families granted I see a TON of TB's and voy's here in town, but most people driving them are in their wheelchair shouldn't have a license stage. The guy driving the voy today looked old enough to be my grandpa :redface: and I'm almost 30yrs old lol My truck sticks out the way it is, and Phantom is all stock besides a few cosmetic upgrades. :thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Or you can be cool like me and keep it stock :biggrin::rotfl:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Or you can be cool like me and keep it stock :biggrin::rotfl:

That is definitely an option too!

Now what's the biggest tire I can use on stock height? Without having to mod or cut up my baby.

I have 17" stock now

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Buy An SS.Low Riding LS2 :biggrin:
No but seriously
[video=youtube;DKoY1fw7yCo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKoY1fw7yCo&feature=related[/video]
:rotfl:

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
Mine has marks 2.5" lift with his spacers. Maybe a lift with bigger rims instead of mudders.

Attachments

• P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 10

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
This is indeed the debate for the ages. The problem is that we have one of the only suv lines that looks good either way. I have been both...several times. I can say this, pick what you like best and stick with it.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
You know Phantom kind of does say low to the ground blacked out like of look which you did start the blacked out look already...But if you lower then running boards got to go...if you lift you keep them on unless you actually go off road and then its better to remove them due to them being in the way(from what I hear).

jham

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
That is definitely an option too!

Now what's the biggest tire I can use on stock height? Without having to mod or cut up my baby.

I have 17" stock now

the first cut is the only one that's hard to do:thumbsup:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
smitty5150 said:
This is indeed the debate for the ages. The problem is that we have one of the only suv lines that looks good either way. I have been both...several times. I can say this, pick what you like best and stick with it.

I think that's the issue smitty. I haven't driven a lifted or lowered truck at all.

I know I hate feeling like I'm popping a squat on the ground when getting into a car...especially after owning 2 SUV's now. But I also don't like needing to open the passenger side door and getting a running start to get in the truck either.

I'm not trying to start anything with anyone, and I know each person is going to be partial to what they have whether it's lifted or lowered. I just want to get some specs on the two with all personal feelings aside, that way no one gets offended.

If I lower do I need to cut away at stuff? Do I need to remove anything mechanical, how will my 4wd work in the snow and ice? That sort of stuff. Maybe I can get some like ultra inflatable bags and bag the voy...drive it lowered until I get sick of it and fill up the bags and ride it lifted LOL...if only that could happen!

But I know I don't want this problem

[video=youtube;DiKNbPR-xBM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiKNbPR-xBM[/video]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
How well does your area get plowed in the winter? Do you think you would run into any clearance problems with heavy snow, or unplowed areas that could cause you to get stuck? That's really the only problem I could see with being lowered.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
That is possibly the dumbest truck I have ever seen, somebody is missing something in their lives our lifts on the TBs = BADASS & Functional......That Lift = I wanted a monster truck so I bout an 4 door :confused:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Blckshdw said:
How well does your area get plowed in the winter? Do you think you would run into any clearance problems with heavy snow, or unplowed areas that could cause you to get stuck? That's really the only problem I could see with being lowered.

Yeah I would probably run into some ground clearance issues during the winter time, and summer time if I have to take the back roads as the potholes here are as bad as Michigan's lol

STLtrailbSS said:
That is possibly the dumbest truck I have ever seen, somebody is missing something in their lives our lifts on the TBs = BADASS & Functional......That Lift = I wanted a monster truck so I bout an 4 door :confused:

And yes, I agree 150% However, that is exactly how I looked trying to get into High Voltage's truck. You have to think...I am only 4 feet 9 inches tall :frown:

GotAir?

Jan 7, 2012
I dont think u gotta worry about squatting to get in it if u lower it. Mine is about as low as u can make an envoy and its still more of a drop getting into my challenger or my cavalier (even with cavy lifted up all the way). Lol Getting out of my trucks feels normal, i dont need to lift myself out and im over six foot tall

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
And yes, I agree 150% However, that is exactly how I looked trying to get into High Voltage's truck. You have to think...I am only 4 feet 9 inches tall :frown:

Honestly if its harder for you to get into a high truck then I wouldn't lift it because I know you will get sick of having to James bond drive into the truck every time you need to get in. I think you should keep it stock or just lower it at this point.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
When my truck was lowered 2/3 I never squatted to get in. I also never had clearance issues with snow, and those were snowy winters. The 4x4 worked great. Ultimately, I got sick of not having the same power as the ss to back up the stance.

I have also had the 3" suspension and 2" body on 33" tires. Badass, even though fuel economy suffered. I never had a problem getting in, though I am 5'10". I never felt at risk of a roll over. I had fun playing in the mud. Before the body lift, I was suspension only with 32" tires. If you are going to lower, I thinkbthat is the perfect setup for everyday use.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Here's an idea:

Drive the Envoy up on some ramps front and rear on the driver side to simulate a lift (sort of). Then get in and out of it and see if it feels too high.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I like the looks of a lowered truck occasionally, but realistically, once its lowered, its a car. I didn't pay for a 4x4 truck to end up with a car. Also, when you are on a back road spotting, if you were to be in a situation where you needed to move quick , it would really suck to be in a lowered truck trying to climb over branches. At least at factory height it can get over minor stuff, and of course lifted gives more veratility, but it seems like lowered would limit you alot, looks aside.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
SBUBandit said:
I like the looks of a lowered truck occasionally, but realistically, once its lowered, its a car. I didn't pay for a 4x4 truck to end up with a car. Also, when you are on a back road spotting, if you were to be in a situation where you needed to move quick , it would really suck to be in a lowered truck trying to climb over branches. At least at factory height it can get over minor stuff, and of course lifted gives more veratility, but it seems like lowered would limit you alot, looks aside.

My husband and dad said the same. At some point (after Phantom is paid off) I plan on getting either a TB or another Envoy SWB 4x4 specifically for my spotting and Emergency management, it's not a real job as I'm a volunteer but I still take it very seriously because lives are at risk without us in severe weather. With SAR(Search and Rescue) in the damage path of tornado's and severe weather a lowered truck just wouldn't cut it, I have had to drive over parts of roofing before. So in all I think I will stay stock for now with maybe some bigger tires to give me a bit more clearance, and once I get my work truck in order I then can spend the money to lower my Envoy and have it as a DD and lift the work truck and have the best of both worlds!

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
My favorite use of my lift was plowing through 2-foot snow drifts at 50 mph, and not loosing control. Sand was fun too, but not as common. Fuel econmy was horrible! My stock setup is the equivalent of $3/gallon gas.

Driving over fallen 6" trees in my back yard was plain awesome!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
I know you will get sick of having to James bond drive into the truck every time you need to get in.

She could look badass doing a James Bond dive into the truck. Besides woman driving lifted trucks is hot.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
She could look badass doing a James Bond dive into the truck. Besides woman driving lifted trucks is hot.

As long as I duck my head, lift the steering wheel and have the appropriate boulder holder on...I don't mind doing the 007 dive!

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
As one of a very select few on this site that has seen both sides of this question, I think I have an obligation to post in this thread.

Lowered

Front: Belltech 2" drop struts, 2" lowering springs
Rear: Street Performance shocks, lowered stock airbags

DSC_1178.jpg

With the entire package put together I had close to a 5" drop. I was 28.5" from ground to fender. My 4x4 was still operational. The ride was really stiff that low, and not really all that comfortable. Honestly it was just way to low to be useful for a daily driver. doing a 2-3 drop would be as low as I would suggest going if your not going to go all out with air bags.

Lifted:

2011-10-29150119.jpg

Front: MarkMC 2.5" suspension lift, 87 rated coil springs, Bilstein HD struts
Rear: MarkMC 2.5" suspension lift, Z71 coil springs, BDS 55 series shocks
3" body lift

This set up is by far more fun. It was originally "forced" on me by a member (Hardtrailz) when he decided to toss the suspension lift on my truck while we were lifting another members at the time. I enjoyed it so much I never looked back. Although part of that lowering kit is on my wife's Bravada right now. The truck rides like a truck, feels stable, and I have never felt concerned about rolling over while daily driving.

You mentioned a concern about price. I feel that the initial cost is pretty similar. Going up or down the kits are pretty similar in price. Going down it is almost necessary to 20" wheels and tires, going up it is necessary to get a meaty tire to complement the look. These expenses are pretty close as well. Where you will get into the difference in price is in the long run. Lifting tends to lead to armor (required), bumper, and a lot of wearable parts to have to replace. I have replaced 8 or so wheel bearings, a few half shafts, sway bar links, and tie rods.

My kids are 10, 9, and 5. Obviously it is easier for them to get into my wife's lowered Bravada, but they still have no issue getting into my truck. My wife is 5'3" and she has no issues getting in either.

In the end, I would not return the Envoy to stock or lowered. I enjoy it enough that I can justify the loss of gas mileage and added expense in wearable parts. Of course I say that because I use it and get pleasure from the vehicle while off-roading, not just driving to and from school or work.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Regulator said:
As one of a very select few on this site that has seen both sides of this question, I think I have an obligation to post in this thread.

Lowered

Front: Belltech 2" drop struts, 2" lowering springs
Rear: Street Performance shocks, lowered stock airbags

DSC_1178.jpg

With the entire package put together I had close to a 5" drop. I was 28.5" from ground to fender. My 4x4 was still operational. The ride was really stiff that low, and not really all that comfortable. Honestly it was just way to low to be useful for a daily driver. doing a 2-3 drop would be as low as I would suggest going if your not going to go all out with air bags.

Lifted:

2011-10-29150119.jpg

Front: MarkMC 2.5" suspension lift, 87 rated coil springs, Bilstein HD struts
Rear: MarkMC 2.5" suspension lift, Z71 coil springs, BDS 55 series shocks
3" body lift

This set up is by far more fun. It was originally "forced" on me by a member (Hardtrailz) when he decided to toss the suspension lift on my truck while we were lifting another members at the time. I enjoyed it so much I never looked back. Although part of that lowering kit is on my wife's Bravada right now. The truck rides like a truck, feels stable, and I have never felt concerned about rolling over while daily driving.

You mentioned a concern about price. I feel that the initial cost is pretty similar. Going up or down the kits are pretty similar in price. Going down it is almost necessary to 20" wheels and tires, going up it is necessary to get a meaty tire to complement the look. These expenses are pretty close as well. Where you will get into the difference in price is in the long run. Lifting tends to lead to armor (required), bumper, and a lot of wearable parts to have to replace. I have replaced 8 or so wheel bearings, a few half shafts, sway bar links, and tie rods.

My kids are 10, 9, and 5. Obviously it is easier for them to get into my wife's lowered Bravada, but they still have no issue getting into my truck. My wife is 5'3" and she has no issues getting in either.

In the end, I would not return the Envoy to stock or lowered. I enjoy it enough that I can justify the loss of gas mileage and added expense in wearable parts. Of course I say that because I use it and get pleasure from the vehicle while off-roading, not just driving to and from school or work.

Thank you Matt!! I really appreciate the advice and the pictures. I appreciate everyone's advice here! Now with lifting, I understand the need for armor, but would I really need a new bumper?

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Voymom said:
Thank you Matt!! I really appreciate the advice and the pictures. I appreciate everyone's advice here! Now with lifting, I understand the need for armor, but would I really need a new bumper?

Need? Not necessarily. If you are planning on off-roading in an environment where armor is required, then add that. OTOH, if you are going for the mall crawler look, it can be skipped.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online