I cant figure this one out... (Envoy Denali)

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So I have been doing my normal surfing of the net, trying to find that perfect ride.

I stumbled across this one a few weeks ago, and it really intrigued me... Until I looked closer.

I was wondering if I am just being picky, or does anyone else get bothered by it too?

I wont say what bothers me about it, other than he lists it as having 65k (from the donor) miles, and the carfax shows it has 200k on it. I really like it has a AFM/DOD Deleted LSX engine.

Let me know what you think.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Hmmm. A few goofy mods done more for cosmetics than anything else and lots of Armor All covering up all kinds of sins maybe? I bet that loud exhaust would irritate you on the highway and wake up your neighbours when you punched it. I am not sure how they could legally swap the cluster from the 65K donor vehicle unless it was stickered somewhere as to the actual mileage. (Odometer reading is in the cluster, not the PCM.) For that amount of money, I would certainly want a warranty of some kind - something like 30 day full warranty, and then a DECENT aftermarket warranty.

I would also do more digging about that company. They sure buy lots of their parts from AutoZone. (Like most parts places, AutoZone sells the economy line of Chinese parts and the premium line of Chinese parts ... but sometimes their economy line is REAL economy, if you get what I mean.)

At that price, they are making a healthy profit.

But all that being said, I kinda wish that vehicle was in Canada. I am loving it, especially if it came with some kind of warranty. If you pick it up, keep us appraised. Good luck.

Reactions: Reprise

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
What Chickenhawk said, and what is it, 4wd or AWD? They refer to it as both. And what's with
the rattle can coating on the underbody? The rear diff cover looks like they sprayed over actual rust flakes, and there's other areas where it looks like they just went a bit nuts with spray paint where it doesn't need to be.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
When does a 5.3 with AFM delete become an LSX ? lots of fuzzy arithmetic going on there. For that money I'd be thinking TB SS.
As good as it looks it could be a maintenance nightmare, the sales pitch about the process is scary....:quiverlips:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You can replace your cluster with another but if you resell you better have gotten the odometer rewritten or have record of when it was replaced and what the mileage was at the time. And it gets reported on the title when sold.

My project car is destined to have a cluster with wrong miles eventually, but I'm not planning on ever selling it so this is how much I care...... nope. I'll record it just for reference but by the time I'm done with the car (at this rate, in 30 years lol) it won't have a single original part on it that matters, but the main chassis!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Am I the only one who saw giant gouges in the paint in the door?

You can replace your cluster with another but if you resell you better have gotten the odometer rewritten or have record of when it was replaced and what the mileage was at the time. And it gets reported on the title when sold.

My project car is destined to have a cluster with wrong miles eventually, but I'm not planning on ever selling it so this is how much I care...... nope. I'll record it just for reference but by the time I'm done with the car (at this rate, in 30 years lol) it won't have a single original part on it that matters, but the main chassis!
According to insurance the 67 has 410 miles on it... stock odometer is at the house... one of the 5 is right I think...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A pre-modded vehicle always has my hair standing, like a lifted truck.

So if they rebuilt the engine, why rebuild the 64k one instead of the 200k unless they left the block alone.

Maybe we're just overthinking it. It might be a great truck. Just the odometer thing to wrap our heads around.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Could be anything - could have gotten a 64k junkyard engine to rebuild then just swap out out vs tear the old one out and leave everything a torn apart mess while rebuilding the original, or maybe just being cautious because a 200k block might have bore wear or who knows whatever else, or maybe the 200k engine had some major failure, or.... lots of possible reasons.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So here are the problems I see..

1. The rear bumper has so much rust, that has been painted over, it makes me worried about the rust, err rest, of the car.
  2. Rust again, just look at how much rust is in the spare tire, thats just painted over
  3. Rust again, rear diff like someone else mentioned
  4. Rust again, look at the frame under the engine, i have seen worse, but at this price, I would expect MUCH better.
  5. The CHROME headers looks nothing like the one in the pics after finished build
  6. The drivers side header looks to have a leak that is creating a soot line on the front driveshaft, or is it actually rubbing on the drive shaft?
  7. The Y-Pipe looks nothing like the one used in the finished build.
  8. The corrosion on all the frame cross members that has just been painted over
  9. The corrosion on the drive shaft thats been painted over
  10. How much exhaust cement did they need to use on the catalytic converter
  11. The exhaust hanger right next to the Catalytic converter isnt even supporting the exhaust... or anything else.
  12. On the close up of the left front drivers wheel, you can see the bumper support isnt even connected to anything.
  13. The put USED tires on (all the little rubber nipples are gone). How old are they?
  14. The front diff when the engine is on the stand is so nice and shiney. Then you look at the installed pics, and you wonder what happened, if its even the same diff.
  15. All that build, and it still has GU6 gearing.
  16. In the picture of the drivers side rear door, you can see a french fry and a red wire at the floor seat mount. Theres not supposed to be any wiring there.
  17. Like someone else mentioned, way to many Autozone receipts for a build of this supposed caliber.
I mean it spent its whole life as a Ohio daily driver.. But why build something of this caliber on that rusty of a vehicle.

Am I just being to Anal?

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You're not anal, just very observant. :biggrin:
He had others back out of the deal, probably once they saw it.

Reactions: Matt

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Not anal, you've built a really good case why you should avoid this vehicle...

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
When I click the link I can't see anything underside....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In the eBay listing, scroll down to see more pics. Definitely can see the covered up rusty crustys underside.

Headers and they welded them to the stock exhaust? WTF???

Reactions: northcreek

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Headers and they welded them to the stock exhaust? WTF???
Yes!...that and the paint over the rust bubbles was the red flag for me. If you're not going to take the time to do the obvious stuff right, what the hell did the do inside the engine ?

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
A lot of paint cover up but... the only really questionable piece is the rear hitch carrier. The rest is par for the course rust... nothing structural but it makes you wonder what else is being hidden...

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
"I really like it has a AFM/DOD Deleted LSX engine..."

I wonder... is there is a way to PROVE that this work has actually been done...?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
According to the pics of the parts, a new lifter valley cover was installed to replace the VLOM. It would be easy to see in person.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online