I’m not sure where to ask this but I have a welding issue/problem for my bull bar?

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
I have a bull bar that not only is it almost perfect but got it for $11 from the junk yard lol.
Anyway both the racket and section of the frame are completely down to bare metal but when I put the bracket to the frame, bare metal to bare metal, the two will not weld to tether and bond but the flux wire will weld to the frame and if the bracket is up to the frame the weld sticks to it (if I try to weld to the bracket while it’s on the ground I won’t even get a spark).
So my question is why can’t I weld them together!?
I’ve tried both high and low voltage and moved the speed of the flux wire up and down and still nothing 🤦‍♂️.
Just so you have the info I have a 125 amp flux wire welder and I don’t know what kind of metal the bracket is all I can say even with a mallet it was super hard to bend it the way I needed it. Thanks for the help and if the wrong section please move 😃, thank you

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
From what I'm seeing 3/16" is the max for your 125A welder also this: You can only weld "mild steel" with a flux core welder. If it says stainless, galvanized, zinc-plated, or high carbon alloy, then it won't work...hope this helps.

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
From what I'm seeing 3/16" is the max for your 125A welder also this: You can only weld "mild steel" with a flux core welder. If it says stainless, galvanized, zinc-plated, or high carbon alloy, then it won't work...hope this helps.

Yes actually it helps ALOT because it would explain why it’s not welding because I have tried everything and still won’t bond.
I’m so new to welding I’m less than an amateur and this is the third time ever I have tried to weld something so I’m far from knowing the ins and out but it doesn’t mean it stops me from trying 😃.
Thank you very much!

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I don't think that's correct as I've welded 304 stainless just fine with my flux core... It rusts almost immediately but welded just the same. Could it be aluminum? Does a magnet stick to it? Is it light for it's size?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Yes actually it helps ALOT because it would explain why it’s not welding because I have tried everything and still won’t bond.
I’m so new to welding I’m less than an amateur and this is the third time ever I have tried to weld something so I’m far from knowing the ins and out but it doesn’t mean it stops me from trying 😃.
Thank you very much!
My mig welder is gas so I have no first hand exp. with flux core but, I did read that reversing the polarity sometimes works.

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
Well either or I gave up on it and returned the welder so now I’m going after a big drill bit to go threw the mounting arm and the frame and just going to torque it down.
I don’t know if a magnet sticks to it I will try it tomorrow though and find out and post as I’ve never thought of doing that all I know is if I put the mounting bar down somewhere on it’s own the welder won’t even spark.
Thanks for all the info guys I just gave up on it cause I was going nowhere

Reactions: northcreek

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
all I know is if I put the mounting bar down somewhere on it’s own the welder won’t even spark.

I have to ask; Is the ground (-) clamp on on clean unpainted metal?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Re: Post #6 Some Facts about Stainless Steel and Other Metals:

Category
304SS
410SS
Carbon Steel
Material Mix​
Austentitic​
Martensitic​
Iron and Carbon​
Magnetic?​
Yes-Weak***​
Yes-Weak​
Yes-STRONG​
Why Magnetic?​
Ferritic Segregation​
Low Nickel Content​
Atomic Bonding​
Corrosion Resistant?​
Least Affected​
Less Affected​
Most Affected​
Water-Proof Anti-Rust?​
Least Affected​
Less Affected​
Most Affected​

*** Checking the Magnetic Qualities of 304SS using a Magnet will NOT Always be Accurate and a S/S ID Agent must be used as Test Proof of the S/S Composition. 304SS has "Paramagnetic Qualities". Aluminum is completely Non-Magnetic ...except when exposed-passed through Strong Electrified Copper Coils as demonstrated by the 'Lenz Effect'.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online