HVAC actuator sticking possible solution.

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
So, I think I may have a solution to the temp actuator problem that seems to be common with these vehicles. Mine started to stick in March and would not go fully to hot or cold. It would not go pass the halfway point. I noticed that if I grabbed the actuator through the glove box and pulled on it slightly the actuator would work again and finish the cycle. It seems that it is binding somewhere at the halfway mark. I didn't pull hard, just enough to pull it slightly from the shaft.

I was thinking maybe the actuator was mounted to tightly to the shaft and is causing binding issues. Maybe using washers or shims might relieve the excess pressure on the shaft while still being able to securely mount the actuator? If this works I would be relieved/annoyed because it would fix a lot of other owners issues, but almost seems like a setup from GM to insure labor from the constant problems this causes.

Ideas on this?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It could be possible that there is some extra pressure or resistance but it could just be temporary until it completely dies. Being healthy, it had no issues with that resistance. Most of the time, these things die from broken internal gears.

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
I'm just going to replace it but figured there might be something wrong with the design. Seems weird that it is usually the ps actuator and that it is always the drivers rear window regulator that always goes out. Kinda makes me think it is a engineering fault.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm just going to replace it but figured there might be something wrong with the design. Seems weird that it is usually the ps actuator and that it is always the drivers rear window regulator that always goes out. Kinda makes me think it is a engineering fault.

I'll throw in the vent mode actuator as well (actually, I think that one fails at least as often as the passenger side temp actuator). Just got mine in the mail yesterday. Can't wait to start the fun! /sarcasm

As for whether it was bad engineering... IMO, the actuators definitely warranted a redesign (while the failure rate here is skewed, because many people discover this site in the course of finding out how to fix problems with their vehicles... I'd bet $1 that the overall failure rate exceeded 1.5%, if not 3% - at those rates, some auto manufacturers are issuing TSBs & recalls, respectively).

Question is, how *long* did it take, on average, for them to fail? There must not have been a lot of warranty claims on these, I'd guess.

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Yeah, mine is going also. Have the stupid clicking sound when it goes to the dash vents. Will be replacing that one soon I guess. I was thinking it might just need to be relearned, but I think it may be dying.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Well, if you decide to get the mode actuator, here's where I found mine - just over $38, shipped. Cheapest I could find, at least...

http://www.discountbodyparts.com/catalog/?Ntt=89018675&searchType=global&N=0&uts=true&valVN=4294952444+4294966496+4294952458+4294958386+4294966461&Ns=&Nf=

The search result above may not reference your year / model / trim, but the part # should be the same - the only one that differs of the five up in the front dash is the recirculate actuator, and that's for manual vs. automatic systems. (LWB w/ rear HVAC also have an actuator in the rear passenger side).

Oh, and they list it as the 'blend door actuator', but it's the mode actuator - they call all of them 'blend door' on that site.

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
Cool, I'll check it out. I was going to do an Amazon link but I will see what is cheaper.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online