HUGE Christmas Sale at PCMforless!!!

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
So a TBSS tune is $50 off right now? Does it make any changes to the transmission tune? I don't want it to shift harsh (I like the way it is now) but I would be interested in preserving its life as much as possible. I also don't want the engine tune to be too aggressive and risk engine damage, I just want better drivability. Do you offer free tune updates if I make changes to my truck? I'm doing a Corsa very soon but also planning on long tubes at some point.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
91RS said:
So a TBSS tune is $50 off right now? Does it make any changes to the transmission tune? I don't want it to shift harsh (I like the way it is now) but I would be interested in preserving its life as much as possible. I also don't want the engine tune to be too aggressive and risk engine damage, I just want better drivability. Do you offer free tune updates if I make changes to my truck? I'm doing a Corsa very soon but also planning on long tubes at some point.

I have the PCMforLESS tune.. and the choice is yours as far as your tranny goes.. it is part of the package deal and not getting it tweeked, well is a waste of money for the tune IMO... there are firmness options just like the regular I6's 1,2,&3.. I went with 2 (as recommended by alvin) and couldn't be happier.. under normal driving conditions, you don't really feel a difference in shifting.. but under half throttle or higher, you'll feel your tranny kick... and I installed Alvin's brake duct mount tranny cooler at the same time of installing his tune.. so I highly recommend that you get a tranny cooler.. and since its a mail order tune.. its not too aggressive.. its a basic tune that hundreds of us have started out with.. a street tune or dyno tune is better then a mail order tune... and I can't answer the free updates, as I'm not certain of their policies, however, they did give me the free patch tune when I installed my e-fans a year after I bought my tune..but you can contact alvin, marshall, or kelly and they'll all be able to answer your questions..

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
I had the PCMforless tune on my I6, so I do have an idea of what to expect. However, I just want to makes sure not not to ruin this truck since I'm not going crazy with it (not that I did with my old truck, but I'm just being very careful). I said I wasnt going to buy an SS because of the tranny issues and then people talking about the oil starvation and/or overly aggressive tuning causing bearing failure in the engine. I'm just want to make sure this truck is as reliable as my I6so I don't rent my purchase. Plus, I really hate a rough shifting transmission so that's why I never did any of the corvette servo or other tranny mods.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
91RS said:
I had the PCMforless tune on my I6, so I do have an idea of what to expect. However, I just want to makes sure not not to ruin this truck since I'm not going crazy with it (not that I did with my old truck, but I'm just being very careful). I said I wasnt going to buy an SS because of the tranny issues and then people talking about the oil starvation and/or overly aggressive tuning causing bearing failure in the engine. I'm just want to make sure this truck is as reliable as my I6so I don't rent my purchase. Plus, I really hate a rough shifting transmission so that's why I never did any of the corvette servo or other tranny mods.

i thought you had a tune IIRC from the OS...

with a mail order tune, your not going to ruin the truck.. and through your research, im sure you read that the trannies are a hit and miss issue.. some throw over 450hp to a stock tranny and it does just fine.. and some were stock pulling off the dealer parking lot blowing their tranny to smitherines... the oil starvation happens on all of the SS'.. what we all do (including me) to solve that is just add another half of quart of oil at each oil change, and for the most part.. problem solved.. i was just like you for months.. i went back and forth, back and forth about modding it or leaving it stock.. and all i can say is, ill never look back after doing all the mods ive done.. but if your worried about your tranny that much.. just dont get crazy with the mods.. and add that tranny cooler.. from there on out, thats about all you can do.. if you drive it normaly and she blows.. she was just meant to blow... just like any other part on any other vehicle...

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
I won't be be going crazy with the mods, main performance mods will be Corsa and headers a littler later. The main thing I'll be doing is making it a 3SS (minus the adjustable pedals and rear HVAC/radio controls).

I did already know about the extra oil, I've aleady done that. One of the reasons I bought this truck was that it was driven fairly easy and had the oil changed every 6k miles. I already changed out all the fluids and the transmission fluid looked very clean without much buildup in the pan. So it looks like its in good shape.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
91RS said:
I won't be be going crazy with the mods, main performance mods will be Corsa and headers a littler later. The main thing I'll be doing is making it a 3SS (minus the adjustable pedals and rear HVAC/radio controls).

I did already know about the extra oil, I've aleady done that. One of the reasons I bought this truck was that it was driven fairly easy and had the oil changed every 6k miles. I already changed out all the fluids and the transmission fluid looked very clean without much buildup in the pan. So it looks like its in good shape.

look forward to seeing your progress on the conversion... but with a Corsa and LT headers.. you'll be fine... just dont beat the piss out of her everytime you take her out.. and she should repay you ten fold...

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Ordered my tune now just have to send the PCM in. Though its not my daily driver I can take the Silverado to work.

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
look forward to seeing your progress on the conversion... but with a Corsa and LT headers.. you'll be fine... just dont beat the piss out of her everytime you take her out.. and she should repay you ten fold...

The good thing is when driving normally the engine doesn't have to work as hard as my I6 did since it makes so much more power. I've got my C55 for when I want to go real fast anyway. I would say I drive my cars hard, but I don't abuse them and I definitely take good care of them (like changing the oil early).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher