Hub and Axle Disconnect Recommendations?

Bumperquip

Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Area
2005 Saab 9-7X Linear (4.2L AWD) 86K miles.

In my obsessive quest to find and fix a couple of crazy noises in my wife's truck, I've decided to throw some parts at it on accounta it's been quite trouble-free during the 13 years we've owned it and maybe it's due for some attention.

I've ordered a new Dorman (P/N 600-116) axle disconnect from Rock Auto ($412.00 shipped) and am thinking I should go ahead and also replace the front hubs.

I'm looking for input as to trusted brands for these parts.

As stated, I've ordered the Dorman axle disconnect. Does anyone have any recommendations other than that brand? Finding a quite wide range of available parts and prices ($65 - $700), I chose a familiar brand with good ratings and kind of in the middle as far as price goes. But, if you all have other recommendations, I'm listening.

Same goes for the hubs ... wide range of off-brands, name brands and prices ($42 - $170) but I'm compelled to purchase a solid, well recommended brand.

Thoughts on these parts?

Also, I'll be posting a video/audio clip soon so you all can hear this un-godly loud rattle/clatter we're experiencing that I just can't believe isn't a loose heat shield somewhere.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Wait a minute.. If you have the 9-7x, you need to full time connect, not the powered connect. They are completely different.

Bumperquip

Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Area
Wait a minute.. If you have the 9-7x, you need to full time connect, not the powered connect. They are completely different.

That's correct ... and based on the "reported/advertised" applications for the Dorman part, it's the part this truck needs.

I also ran the applicability of the US Powetrain part Mr. Matt linked and it appears appropriate for the 9-7X as well.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That's correct ... and based on the "reported/advertised" applications for the Dorman part, it's the part this truck needs.

I also ran the applicability of the US Powetrain part Mr. Matt linked and it appears appropriate for the 9-7X as well.
Sorry, I clicked on Matts Link, and thats the powered one.. You are correct, the P/N 600-116 is right.

I, so far, have had good luck with detroit axle products. I have their parts in 3 cars, and no complaints yet.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wasn't there somebody that had issues with Detroit Axle?

Found it:

And a couple of guys had issues with their rack and pinions but those are remans though.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I vote timkin... My detroit's lasted 3-4yrs or about 25k miles before the sensors started to die.

Bumperquip

Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Area
Does anyone have experience with the Moog pieces?

Autozone sells the Moog and their Duralast branded (which are also Moog) for $108/ea. with a 2 and 3 year warranty, respectively.

... and here’s what Rock Auto has currently as far as what they call OE replacement/original equipment:

E171758C-665B-4C1F-8075-019B81CB70E7.jpeg

Reactions: Tankcruiser

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Haven't heard of too many people here using the Moogs. But for an extra $4, why not go with the known proven brand? And SKF are also known as a high end brand but they have been dropping their prices and are quite competitive now. If I were to pick one right now, I'd go with SKF.

Don't even look at Raybestos. I had bought a pair years ago and they self destructed within days.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Holy crap ... that's 1/2 price compared to the one I ordered :wowfaint:

Any way you can cancel that order. US Powertrain I would not hesitate to recommend.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I am a fan of SKF, but my four-year-old SKF hub had some rust jacking of the ABS sensor and couldn't be fixed. But my mechanic recommended the new heavy duty line from Mevotech. There has never been a third option until now. Rock Auto calls them Economy, Standard (or Daily Driver) and now Heavy Duty. This thing looks heavy duty!

TXF513188_ANG__ra_p.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am a fan of SKF, but my four-year-old SKF hub had some rust jacking of the ABS sensor and couldn't be fixed. But my mechanic recommended the new heavy duty line from Mevotech. There has never been a third option until now. Rock Auto calls them Economy, Standard (or Daily Driver) and now Heavy Duty. This thing looks heavy duty!

TXF513188_ANG__ra_p.jpg
And they are proud of those things.. OUCH!

Reactions: Matt

Bumperquip

Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Area
OK men ... I’m still totally unsure which way to go on this.

I am absolutely not opposed to spending $$ on quality long lasting parts but don’t like burning cash either, nor am I fan of doing stuff over ... and I’ve read replies advocating parts at/near both ends of the price spectrum.

I’ve got a set of 2 Detroit Axle units in my Amazon cart at a total cost of $77.00.

I’ve got a set of 2 SKF units in my Rock Auto cart at a cost of $201.00

The Mevotech units are $120.00/ea.

Does anyone have any over-time experience with a particular make?

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
If you don't mind replacing them every 25k or so, then the detroits are fine. As for the others i'm not sure. I replaced my detroits earlier this month (installed in 2016 and had roughly 25k) for failing sensors with two timkins @125 each.

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
I had bad experience with detroit axle struts lasted less than 3 months , the bushings seem ok i have moog endlinks and bushing , but have also heard moog hubs quality dropped. for me timken or delco. i found delco hubs on ebay for $55 each NIB , so if you have the time keep checking , never know what someone will list

shit for the hell of it i searched FW121 which is a delco part number on ebay , first hit !

only 3 pcs left its delco advantage series , id take delco over any other brand any day

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I had bad experience with detroit axle struts lasted less than 3 months , the bushings seem ok i have moog endlinks and bushing , but have also heard moog hubs quality dropped. for me timken or delco. i found delco hubs on ebay for $55 each NIB , so if you have the time keep checking , never know what someone will list

shit for the hell of it i searched FW121 which is a delco part number on ebay , first hit !

only 3 pcs left its delco advantage series , id take delco over any other brand any day

I am not sure those are the real deal, but I could be wrong...

My experience with GM wheel bearings, when new, the Studs are slightly blue... Like these...
s-l1600.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sorry, I clicked on Matts Link, and thats the powered one.. You are correct, the P/N 600-116 is right.

I, so far, have had good luck with detroit axle products. I have their parts in 3 (EDIT: 1 car) cars, and no complaints yet.
Had to correct this. Was looking thru my reciepts today, to see when I bought the wheel bearings for my Envoy, and they were bought in 2015, brand TS, not Detroit Axle. Thought they were replaced more recent than that...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd be cautious of fleabay. Looking at pics on RockAuto, the Advantage line have black studs with no laser etching on the face of the hub whereas that fleabay one with the same part number has silver studs and laser etching. The ACDelco Pro have grey studs and no laser etching neither with a black/blue heated center hub.

If the price is too good to be true, it probably is.

Reactions: TollKeeper

Bumperquip

Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Area
I ended up buying a set of the SKF hub assemblies off of Amazon ... $227.00 shipped. They’ll be here on Monday (12/7).

Not the least expensive of the options but hopefully a quality, durable and reasonably long-lasting one.

I also returned the $420.00 Dorman disconnect and bought the $155.00 US Powertrain unit which is currently sitting on the bench in the garage.

Should be a fun weekend coming up.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just looked up the Mevotech Terrain Tough TitanXF and it looks interesting with their lifetime warranty and a price just a little more than the Timkens. I know I've had problems with them before with their suspension parts but they have really stepped it up with their TTX line of products. The only other ones that offer lifetime is Raybestos, ACDelco original and SKF Premium. See my note above about Raybestos.

Only question would be who would handle the lifetime warranty return? I know Amazon has issues with those, not sure about RA. Local stores shouldn't be an issue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.