How's the 6.0L Vortec as a powerplant to tow with?

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
We're finally upgrading to a tow vehicle that can pull our future travel trailer. My 06 Buick Rainier has been a great SUV over the 8 years I've owned it but it's now time for something bigger. Someone will sure get a nice midsize truck when I sell it next month. Right now, I'm in the hunt for a GM product that can handle our towing needs. It has to be a full size SUV with extended wheelbase as I want to be safe on any long trips or high elevation passes. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the GMT 830 platform. I did see a few affordable Ford Expedition EL's but I'd prefer to stay in the GM family. I have my eye on two local vehicles. The first is a 2005 GMC Yukon XL Denali with 120K mile on the clock. Then second is a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban LT 2500 with about 125K miles. It has the quadrasteer option too. Both vehicles have the small block 6.0L Vortec engine. The burb obviously is rated for higher towing capacity. Will I be satisfied with the either truck? If I purchase the Yukon, will it be up for the choir of pulling a 6500-7000lb loaded trailer? Its tow limit is 7900lbs. The burb has a mid 9000 lb towing limit...so not a concern here. Anyone have any real world gas mileage numbers with the 6.0L? This is strictly a tow vehicle we plan on keeping for years. MPG's are a concern as we will make some west cost trips in the next few years. Any opinions are appreciated.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
While I can't say any thing about the suburban/Tahoe/yukon. We do have a 2007 sierra 2500 HD with a loaded utility body and we tow about 3500 lbs worth of boat and trailer. 75 mph highway I'd say around 12 mpg with that package. 4.10 gears I may add. Pulling wise you'd never know it's there. The 6.0l is an excellent power plant.

Apr 23, 2015
I had a 2500HD Regular Cab long bed Sierra. It was lifted with 35" mud terrains and 4.10 gears. It got 11mpg in the city or 80mph highway driving. Empty or loaded down didn't matter. The 6.0 loves gas. For a truck that size it did drive great and had plenty of power.

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
HeavyChevy4200 said:
I had a 2500HD Regular Cab long bed Sierra. It was lifted with 35" mud terrains and 4.10 gears. It got 11mpg in the city or 80mph highway driving. Empty or loaded down didn't matter. The 6.0 loves gas. For a truck that size it did drive great and had plenty of power.
The Suburban 2500 I'm interested in has the 4.10 gearing. The Yukon Denali is equipped with a 3.73 rear axle ratio. From what I'm reading, it seems like the Denali has much better fuel economy unhitched and unloaded on the highway. With a nice size trailer in tow, many people are seeing the same numbers between the 3/4 ton 6.0 liters and Denali's.

I'm going to test drive both tomorrow. I really wanted a turbo diesel with Allison tranny but GM never produced the ultimate SUV. I'd have to purchase a 2500 series P/U for that setup which wouldn't be very comfortable with all 3 of our kids in 1 row. Older Ford Excursions offered a 6.8L Tritan V10. Gas hog of course but 425 ftlbs of torque must be nice with heavy loads. All of the diesel Excursions within several hundred miles of me have an average of 300K miles...to many for long haul trips.

Most of the extended length 1/2 ton SUV's in the years I'm looking for come equipped with either a 3.73 or 3.42 rear axle ratio. This keeps their towing capacity around 7,000. That really blows as many family size travel trailers have dry weights of 5500 lbs. Add anything over 1000 lbs in the trailer and you're just about at your max tow capacity. Hitch weights will also reach manufacturers limits quit easily.

Finding a gas tow vehicle that can safely pull a trailer without getting into 3/4 ton pickups is more challenging than I'd ever thought. Heck, the standard Suburban with a 3.73 configuration can only pull 7000lbs. I have to discount them as well as the short wheel base of the Tahoe's and Yukons.

Would like advice from anyone towing with a 6.0 burb or Yukon.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Obviously the 6.0l engine will do the job, regardless of gearing. However towing capacity is only part of the equation and by itself is not a good indicator of what the vehicle can really tow, especially when talking about towing a box down the road.

Get the 2500 'Burb and suck up the lower daily mileage. And here's why. Payload. The Tahoe will likely have no more more than a 1400# payload. The 'Burb will probably have a 2000# or higher payload. Check the weight sticker in the driver and compare them.

Payload is critical. Say your payload is 1400#. And your real, ready to tow tongue weight (ignore the dry weight, it's an imaginary number) is 910# (based on 13% of your 7000# trailer). You now have 490# of payload left. If your wife, kids, dog, and "stuff" in the truck weigh a total of 450#. You have 40# of payload left. And that's not considering the weight rating of the rear axle. You may be over that too. And keep in mind that you kids are growing, and they will want to bring more toys. Therefore, more weight.

The 2500 'Burb has the payload you need, as well as the rear axle rating you need. Putting that kind of weight on a 1500 series Tahoe (which has a softer less capable suspension that it's 1500 PU equivalent) will shorten it's life. So what you save in gas you will spend on replacing it sooner than you would the 2500 'Burb.

Regarding towing mileage, when all is said and done, it doesn't matter what travel trailer and tow vehicle you have, you'll get between 8-12. My Sierra gets 10 mpg towing on average. 8.5 in windy conditions.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That quadrasteer sounds amazing. It is higher maintenance (I'm seeing that it requires rear fluid change every 15k miles) but other than that it was pretty bulletproof from the sound of it. Lack of sales due to cost is why they stopped offering it apparently.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
I've actually towed with a 3/4 ton 6.0 Quad steer 'burb like you're talking about. I think it was an '03 or '04. It towed fine, and the quadrasteer is REALLY NEAT to tow with! Changing lanes on the highway, the trailer doesn't whip back and forth, and you don't have to swing nearly as wide with a long trailer, driving in town or parking. The 6.0 tows fine (got one in my '02 K2500HD ECLB/4x4/NV4500), but likes to spin and likes gas, is all.

Also, the Denali 1/2 ton 6.0 is like 345hp and IIRC, aluminum, and the 3/4 ton is like the one in my truck, iron block, and like 325hp. The more durable engine is the detuned version in the trucks and 3/4 ton burb.

Mike

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I looked at the 3/4 ton Suburban yesterday. Unfortunately, the undercarriage was full of cancer...and not just the typical surface stuff. Shock mounts were so badly rusted that i removed layers of the decay with my fingers. Same went for the hitch and hitch mount points. Sheetmetal panels were rust free but I was more concerned with what I saw underneath the vehicle. Way too much cancer for me to deal with.

Then I drove 2 hours into Ohio to look at the Yukon Denali. At first, my wife noticed just a couple of rust spots over the rear wheel wheel. Nothing to significant. Then as I examined the rocker panels above the running boards. Completely rusted through behind the paint. In fact I poked several holes with my thump. A complete tragedy to an otherwise nice looking, low mileage truck.

Now, I think I'm going to focus only on a lower mileage 2500 Burb. I'm convinced from everything I'm reading that 1/2 ton full size SUVs are only as good a v8 mid size SUV considering their lower payload.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Frame swap the burban :biggrin:

Reactions: littleblazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online