How to wire an inline Resistor, Diode or Capacitor

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I went to install HID headlights on my Trailblazer this weekend and found some how to's that disturbed me a little (on the old site). Here's what I found.

bcm quad lites 004.jpg

1256325383806jpeg.jpg

So, I decided to make a short little how to on a really good way that I've found to wire resistor, diodes and capacitors inline. This can save you time and headaches down the road because you don't want things coming apart and causing problems.

I apologize in advance if any of these images are yours, it's not my intent to embarrass anyone.

1) Gather tools and supplies. Not pictured are heat shrink and a heat gun.

IMG_4218.JPG

2) Fold the end of the component over the wire

IMG_4221.JPG

3) Solder the wire and component.

IMG_4222.JPG

4) Repeat on the other side.

IMG_4223.JPG

5) Finished Soldering.

IMG_4226.JPG

6) Heat shrink. I put two short layers of heat shrink on either side of the diode to build up the wire, so that larger heat shrink would seal to the wire. I also used a little piece of heat shrink, so I would know which side of the diode was the cathode (striped side).

IMG_4229.JPG

7) Finished. Now you have a strong, permanent connection.

IMG_4230.JPG

I suggest also using proper sized connectors and terminals. Tyically red terminals= 18-22 awg wire, blue= 14-16 awg, yellow= 10-12 awg. There is some variance by manufacturer.

Happy Modifying!

hijole1983

Dec 30, 2011
Is there something similar to this that can be done to Silverado/Sierra 07 - 13 (GMT900)? I've been looking everywhere but have had no luck. All they suggest is pulling the DRL fuses. I've done this mod to my wife's trailblazer and it works great. Any help would be appreciated.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Yeah, this wiring and soldering can be done to any vehicle.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I have a concern about this setup, depending on the setup and what you are using this for the resistor has the potential to get very hot and burn the connection or melt the insulation and bypass the resistor. Just food for thought.

maxresdefault.jpg

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
BlazingTrails said:
I have a concern about this setup, depending on the setup and what you are using this for the resistor has the potential to get very hot and burn the connection or melt the insulation and bypass the resistor. Just food for thought.

maxresdefault.jpg
If your resistor is getting that hot, you have other problems. Shouldn't be any problems if you use a resistor rated for the correct voltage and wattage.

Hypnotoad

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
BlazingTrails said:
^^ I definitely agree with that statement the picture was an exaggeration, however resistors still get hot regardless of the rating.
Put a heat sync on yours if you're worried about it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online