How to verify 4 wheel drive is working?

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hey Guys!

I have finally narrowed it down on one. I am just about ready to purchase a 2007 Trailblazer LT and I want to button up a few outstanding things.

How do you determine if the 4 wheel drive is working properly? I don't imagine the dealer is keen on me taking it thru the woods on my test drive! When moving the selector switch through all positions, the light flashes a couple times and stays solid at each selection.

Thank you all in advance! I really love this forum! I am so psyched to get my TB!

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Hello, I will give some advice in till someone else chimes in...from the sounds of it the 4WD is working properly. If the "Service 4WD" indicator light is not on and you are able to engage all the modes, everything should be good to go. Listen for any noises while engaging the 4WD modes. Drive the TB for about 10-15 min in 2WD and get a feel for how it drives/runs, then stop and engage 4WD HI and then go around a couple blocks/streets and you should be able to tell a difference in how it drives/handles.

Also fyi, if you didn't know...avoid using the Auto 4WD mode. From what I have learned and someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 4WD Auto Mode will burn up the Clutch Packs in the Transfer Case. The Auto 4WD mode is similar to Shifting a vehicle in gear while holding down the accelerator pedal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Or, simply put it in 4HI in a parking lot with decent traction, crank the wheel, and try to make a tight turn (slowly). If it binds/crow hops, the 4x4 is working.

Dec 4, 2011
The previous reply regarding the Auto 4WD is correct IF you live somewhere that is dry most of time. I live in the land of snow and ice for what seems like 6 months a year (really closer to 4 months) and if you are driving on a slippery surface there won't be any damage. I tend to run it all the time in winter when we are driving on packed snow, however once we get down to dry pavement it goes off and back to 2HI.
I believe the situation is like the crow hop also described. When the wheels can't slip it is hard on the drive-train however when there is slippage it seems to work very well. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: C-ya

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I checked my 4x4 function by jacking the front end up while in 4HI. E-brake on and put the shifter to Neutral. Spin one wheel forward and the other side should spin the opposite direction if 4x4 is working properly. Saves you from any potential dry pavement wear.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Not sure about burning up the t-case clutches. IIRC, the bigger problem is the sudden engagement of the front wheels. As in, being on a slippery surface, giving it too much gas, and the t-case engaging while under power. The sudden slam into 4x4 wreaks havoc to the T-case.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
Completely agree with you. Of course, we live in the same climate. I have used the Auto 4WD for the last 6 years in the same way, but if I can get dry pavement it goes off. If conditions are bad enough I can use the 4WD in the city, but I do use the Auto a lot in the winter months.

The previous reply regarding the Auto 4WD is correct IF you live somewhere that is dry most of time. I live in the land of snow and ice for what seems like 6 months a year (really closer to 4 months) and if you are driving on a slippery surface there won't be any damage. I tend to run it all the time in winter when we are driving on packed snow, however once we get down to dry pavement it goes off and back to 2HI.
I believe the situation is like the crow hop also described. When the wheels can't slip it is hard on the drive-train however when there is slippage it seems to work very well. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: C-ya

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online