How to swap 02-04 seats into 05 TB/Envoy

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
This will go over swapping 04 powered driver & manual passenger chairs along with the rear bench seats into a 05 with the same setup. all 02-04 chairs had the same wiring, and the same setup with the side airbag option in the chairs vs the 05+ in the roof, they also had height adjustable lumbar. I prefer the 04's over the 05's they are more comfortable.

Also on a side note this swap may or may not apply to 06+ seats since they have different connectors and possibly different wiring, some part swapping and wiring may be needed to create hybrid seats.

Background Info:
Vehicle work was performed to:
05 TB w/o side airbags, With Power driver chair and manual passenger chair. both chairs were cloth

Vehicle chairs were taken from:
04 Envoy with power driver chair and manual passenger chair both leather with side airbags

Tools needed:
flat head & Phillips screwdriver
18mm, 15mm and 13mm deep sockets
knife

Time:
all day (if this is your first time working with chair upholstery) and if your taking your time

Step 1: (removing front seats)
there will be 3 bolts holding each seat under their own plastic covers

after removing the 4 bolts tip the chair up from the front and tilt backwards, remove the electrical connectors, there will be a big one and a small yellow one.

now remove the seat, it is best to get a helper since the seats are heavy and awkward to hold, also the metal brackets will scratch anything very quickly

Step 2: (disassembly)
4 13mm nuts hold the bottom cushion, After removing those you can remove the cushion

on the 05's you will need to swap over your lower seat assembly with the bladder to the 04's cushion to retain passenger airbag function.

now that you swapped over the bladder, you have to swap over the seat belt tensioner by removing both the cushion cover and cushion.

before you can fully remove the cushion cover you have to remove the j hooks on the bottom of the cushion cover, then cut this retainer inside the cover. now remove the 18mm bolt for the seat belt and then remove the headrest retainers by hitting them up

now you can fully remove the cover (Make sure not to let the seat belt fully retract, one got stuck after fully retracting)

now remove the seat belt retainer, it is held on by 1 18mm bolt.

Step 3: *this is where the hybrid modifications begin*
take the 04's rear frame and place it on the 05's track, now place the 05's seat belt on the 04's rear frame.

replace the rear cushion and its cover, make sure to reroute the yellow connector coming from the tensioner back to the front of the chair. now place the bottom cushion back on and connect the bladders connector. tighten all 4 bolts on the bottom and place the chair back in the car.

Modifying the drivers chair is below

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Part 4: modifying the driver side chair
the steps to swap in the 04 drivers chair is easier, its the same as the passengers side but your just swapping the seat belt tensioner, no bladder on this side.

if you are not adding the adjustable lumbar just use the 05's rear frame

if you are adding adjustable lumbar then you have to modify the harness

05 on the left, 04 on the right (notice you can move the lumbar up and down)

04's chair lumbar connector

05's lumbar connector

now swap over this part of the harness and connect where the old lumbar harness was

and that is all just reassemble and reinstall seat.
finished seats

Part 5: Rear seats
the rear seats are just a bunch of 18mm nuts

Final pic with all seats installed

Texas Mike

Mar 15, 2016
Austin Texas
Well sometimes things look better in your head than they do in reality. I was really excited to grab this gorgeous LTZ interior the other day, but while the charcoal part of the seats match my the black dashboard and carpeting in my '08 TrailBlazer, the grey parts clash with the putty-colored pillers and headliner in my truck. Since my truck has the piller airbags, it's more trouble than it's worth to swap those out too, so I've just decided to sell the LTZ interior as a package. At the very least I saved this awesome-condition interior from the crusher, and can help someone with cloth or worn leather get a fantasic new interior all in one shot. Here is my listing. Pass it around! http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/5493585332.html

Texas Mike

Mar 15, 2016
Austin Texas
Gerbil21 Thank You for the fantastic writeup. I just bookmarked it, and if I find some seats that match my '08 better, I'm going to do this. For now, since the grey really didn't match the putty color of my pillars and headlinder (like I thought it would in my head), I'm selling everything, as noted in the link above. Hopefully this will help someone out that had cloth or worn leather. Thanks again! -Mike

Reactions: Gerbil21

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Good info. I am hoping to put some 2002 seats in my 2006. Both are not powered so no wiring, but the 02 has the side airbag in it. Anything to worry about with it just not being hooked up?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Good info. I am hoping to put some 2002 seats in my 2006. Both are not powered so no wiring, but the 02 has the side airbag in it. Anything to worry about with it just not being hooked up?

No there should be no problem, 06+ have different wiring but it should be the same as this swap since you too have to bring your tensioner and bladder over to the 02 seats so it will be the same connectors.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What's different about the tensioners between the years?

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Didn't even realize there was wiring in them.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If I do not care about the pass airbag, I dont need the bladder correct?

I will have to look at the tensioner.

I guess I did not remember seeing wiring when I took out my seats to cover them a few years ago, but that was many beers ago.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online

No members online now.